Possible egg-bound pigeon? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 23rd November 2018, 09:37 AM
She needs vitamin D3 as well, or the calcium won't do her any good. Reeally needs the calcium/D3 supplement. It should make a big difference.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th November 2018, 06:09 AM
I've arrived home, and my lady pigeon is back to her usual self, begging for hemp and flying as she pleases. I'll be giving her the calcium I got (which has vitamin D too). Not sure how to use the UV light thingy, they don't really stay in one place - though it's being enjoyed by my finches presently (yesterday they took turns in groups of 3 to sit under it).

I'm also attempting to change her feeding place from my office to the balcony I keep another recently rescued pigeon that I want to get used to spend time with my 2 pigeons (and none of them seem interested in that right now) - but she ignores the food if it's in a different place - and I'm not sure how good is to let her not eat.
Posted 28th November 2018, 09:42 AM
That is one reason why it is better to keep them in a large cage. It gives you more control over their needs and such, like the light being over them. Also, she will eventually get used to being fed in a different place. They are creatures of habit, but they do learn. Otherwise pigeons in the wild would all starve when the food source stopped where they were used to finding it. If you want to put it in both places until she learns, that might be a good idea. Put less and less where she is used to getting it, until she gets used to the new place. Shouldn't take her long to adjust.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 24th January 2019, 12:38 PM
Seems the flying issue has re-occurred.

I found my lady pigeon last friday under the bed, with an egg few feet away from her, looking fluffed up and weak. Picked her and her egg up and put her on the wardrobe, in her usual nest. I also put a bowl of seed generously sprinkled with calcium and olive oil, pellets and water with calcium. The pellets seemed to help one of the sick rescue a lot, so I decided they could be a good addition.

For several days since I have been worried because the 2nd egg did not appear. It still did not appear, but after one day in which she didn't get off the wardrobe, and another in which she had to be lifted up again, she gradually looked stronger, ate well and she is flying normally again. Today I had a day off and she even came to eat hemp, which she hasn't for a few days. I'm still keeping the bowl of food filled up on the wardrobe and turning on the light in the evening so she can eat (and she does).

I have a new job and I am missing from home all day now. She used to spend a lot of her off nest time with me in my office. I'm relieved she's flying normally again (my husband says it was a lot worse last time she did this), but I'm worried still about no 2nd egg. Tomorrow is a week since she laid the first. Could she be eggbound if she is moving around normally? How long would it take to be sure there are no issues?
Posted 29th January 2019, 06:48 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Honey had again the paralysis problem. Did she lay the second egg? Sometimes a pigeon can lay just one egg. Once my pigeon Londo laid 3 eggs...

I read online about some suggestions concerning how to discourage eggs laying (like removing nest materials, increasing the hours of darkness, etc) but honestly I don't think they could work (well, at least with my birds...). Probably the best solution is giving sometimes to the wife a "holiday" from her husband. I know it's sad to separate a couple but it could be helpful for the female have a break from laying eggs. Honestly I'm thinking about this solution.
Posted 29th January 2019, 07:15 AM
The first time the feral couple lay an egg on my window sill, they lay only one egg. There is a post somewhere on this site that shows what are the odds of laying 1, 2 and 3 eggs. If I remember correctly, there is about 7% chance of pigeons laying 1 egg.
Posted 29th January 2019, 01:16 PM
She did not lay a 2nd egg but recovered her flight. However, the male keeps getting distracted by the other 2 pigeons I now have in the house and she ends up spending a lot of time on the nest. I barely get to see her with my new schedule at work . If there's something I miss with this new job is having Honey sit on the back of the chair in front of me preening herself.

Tags
eggbound