Tooter Is Missing In Action - Page 10 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Closed Thread

Posted 12th January 2006, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jo
Oh, Victor....You and Bev must be so Excited ! Tooter's sure writin' himself a good story this time !!!.... Come on Tooter, git yerself home so yer Daddy can finish this last chapter with a Happy Ending ! Jan
Amen to that Jimmy Jo! It will be nice to start spending "normal " time with my family and back to my home projects, and I do miss my contributions and readings of the many great posts here from all the members. With 2 jobs, squeezing in family time and "Tooter time", it has been very rough. I try to check in with other postings as much as I can.

But for now, hope ,and strength for Daddy to stay focused on the search to find his Tooter boy.

TOOTERVILLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th January 2006, 05:55 AM
Victor,

I think you need to get a job at the zoo and take your bicycle and keep riding around that area. That's something that Tooter will remember! Unie and I are really hopin' for ya'!

Pidgey
Posted 13th January 2006, 05:59 AM
Skye and I are breaking all time records sending up prayers between heaven and earth....

Posted 13th January 2006, 06:50 AM
Pidgey the Poo might have a good idea there about riding your bike around the zoo or that area, I'm sure it would have an impact on Tooter if he saw you on your bike. I sure hope the zoo staff will help out if they get the opportunity. Good luck today Victor!

fp
Posted 13th January 2006, 07:50 AM
What I've noticed with some of my lost birds is that they seem to have a difficult time equating the "you" in the new territory with the "you" in the home. It's like they can recognize you in the home but not as easily in a new place. Home doesn't mean just the house, or just the loft either--it's every place that they're familiar with that you took them, their known territories where you were a part.

I have had many birds that would land on my shoulder in the house or in the loft but not out in the yard no matter how much I implored them. I had one that had never been outside the loft and she finally went up to the roof with the others. It's almost like she froze and it got dark. I got the ladder out and got all the way up to her and put my hand out for her to step on which she was extremely comfortable with, but she'd turned into a statue. I was lit up--she could see me plainly but she was zoned out.

The real "Pidgey" was the best we ever had (and still have) at recognizing us in any setting but that's probably because we used to walk all over the neighborhood with her on our shoulders. When we moved (only 3/4 of a mile away) to a new house, it was difficult to get her back if she got outside. Even though she might be only a few feet from us and could see us clearly, she'd fly the 3/4 mile back to the other place and would only land on us there (we had to drive, of course). She wouldn't fly down to us in the new yard.

So they can be real funny creatures to try and retrieve and you just gotta' use every dirty trick you can think of even if it includes starting feeding all those birds in that area to get them flocking where you can make a grab. I'm hoping that a "bicycle built for Too(ter)" would work though.

Pidgey
Posted 13th January 2006, 07:52 AM
Hi Victor,

Oh how I hope that Tooter is hanging out at the zoo just waiting for you. You've got to keep checking and inquiring. It's worrying that he's out there and not all that street smart so the sooner you or someone at the zoo spots him, the better.

Best of luck and I really hope this turns out to be a happy ending after all that you've been through.

Thinking about you and Tooter,

Wonderful post by the way, Feather....just beautiful
Posted 13th January 2006, 10:40 AM
Pidgey,

Pigeons take mental pictures and use that to serve their memory when finding their home. That is why it is hard to move a coop out of its location, even if it is just down the road, and expect them to return to it, as their visualization from memory is messed up, it takes time, but they can be retrained to the new location.

They know how to find their coop in relationship to "landmarks" and roads and things that are around it. This is what they learn when they are sent on training tosses, they learn to route. They remember where their coop is by landmarks, from north, south, east, and west. So if they are tossed in an area they have not learned to route from, they can get lost, even if it is only a mile away. Chances are, their built in compass then takes over, and they find their way home, or they never had the homing instinct to begin with.

We must be part of that "landmark" equation, and they just can't process it, when we take ourselves out of the environment they are familiar to.

Posted 13th January 2006, 01:02 PM
Victor, that is wonderful that Tooter seems to have found some pigeons to hang with! He picked a great spot, especially since that part of the zoo is apparently staffed by pigeon-friendly folks. You are a resourceful and determined person. Continuing good wishes for a positive outcome!
Posted 13th January 2006, 01:39 PM
Treesa,

I'd say that must be about right--we're "landmarks" but only when we're in context with their sense of home. I've always wondered if they have a harder time recognizing us when not in their home turf because our clothes are always changing from day to day. Maybe they just don't actually bother to look at our faces unless it's in their home territory.

Pidgey
Posted 13th January 2006, 02:53 PM
Pidgey,

It is in that photographic mind where they memorize the daily reinforced images of landmarks and people, so wherever we are and what we were wearing in that memory bank is what they expect to see, and they must process what they see and react accordingly.

So they identify us with objects they see us around daily, and that adjusts to how many times that image is reinforced.

Victor,

So, please wear clothes that Tooter sees you in frequently, on your bike, calling him in the same manner you always do, anything that reinforces what he remembers on daily basis.

Hope that wasn't your underwear....(sorry just couldn't resist, a little humor helps..)

Last edited by Skyeking; 13th January 2006 at 02:56 PM..
Posted 13th January 2006, 03:16 PM

Tooter pulled in two directions

It seems as though Tooter is caught between his need to find a mate, and his
quest to find his familiar perch. There are so many good reasons why Tooter probably has not found his way home. We have no idea what injuries occurred during his ordeal. His missing feathers alone may be hindering a long flight.

I love Nab’s theory about the nurses.

In honor of our brave little bird from Omaha

I am changing my terminology a bit. From now on, any time that I will be referring to the act of fighting off an assailant and fleeing danger, I will be using the term tootered.
As a matter of fact I had the opportunity to try it out last night. It seems as though there is a sexual predator here in Los Angeles. When I told my husband that the victims tootered, he thought that I meant that they passed a little gas. Oh well, they’ll get use to it, because I'm using it. It will also give me the chance to tell Tooters' story, over, and over.

Phyll,
Cinderella is back in her cage with her mate, kissing and cuddling. There was another little bird that this sight helped me with, and he is doing fine as well.
He was the 3 wk. old to weak to eat.
I call him P-dot, for Pigeons.com.

Feather

Last edited by Feather; 13th January 2006 at 03:22 PM..
Posted 13th January 2006, 11:13 PM

Mini replies

Pidgey~Getting a job at the zoo is not in my near future plans, although I did notice a sign posted that employment opportunities exist there! But when I retire from the transit agency, I actually would not mind that at all! I have had my part time school bus job for almost 10 years, so unfortunately, sleeping is not an option!

Treesa~ Thanks for the record setting prayers. You mentioned wearing clothing that Tooter would recognize me in, well actually I have been wearing my red Laidlaw School bus coat and black knit hat that he was used to seeing me in his last days when he was home. The post you made on landmarks is quite interesting. When I would take him to the end of the yard or the front yard. he would fly right back to his home area in the back yard in the back porch. When I would try to call him back, he would just ignore me and keep flying to his roosting area til I came to him, and THEN and ONLY then, would he fly on me.

Brad~ You are correct, he is not too street smart.I have had him for nearly 2 years and regret never homing him. It has been something I intended to do, but... I am checking the zoo regularly.

Feralpigeon~ Riding the bike is not allowed at our zoo.Too bad, it is one of the largest in the U.S. and plenty of ground, but it must be a liability issue with them. The petting zoo staff said they would try and secure him and call us if he returns.

Terry B~ Iy is nice that they are pigeon friendly. They have their white banded ones, but WELCOME the ferals as well and are aware that some spend the day, some come to eat and a few spend the night in their loft.Something new I learned. While the pigeons are there they are zoo property and protected. They did tell me that if I find him, I needed a clearence to remove him, but it would not be a problem.

Feather~Being pulled in two directions, a good possibility. You made a point worth thinking about, he did loose a lot of feathers while he tootered from the hawk, as a matter of fact I have them in front of me in a sealed baggie~ there are 7 of them almost five inches long.Too many to loose, and it is a wonder he flew so furiously...what a fighter he is.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 13th January 2006, 11:34 PM
To all our members concerned about Tooter~

It was an early, chilly day.No sighting of him today. I went to the zoo and stayed there for quite sometime hoping that he would return if he choose to roost somewhere else for the night. I drove that section of the neighborhood residential streets with the window down shouting for him and making several stops to perform visuals with the binoculars. I returned to my neighborhood and re-checked the flock congregating areas with no luck.

I did spot a beautiful very light blue pigeon on top of the school, a color I have never seen on a pigeon before...somewhat of a light pale turquoise

I was so hopefull when I was sure I spotted Tooter a few days ago, and I can't get it out of my mind that the young lady from the pigeon area told me that staff member saw a tame pigeon trying to perch on zoo patrons heads.It had to have been Tooter.

Gosh, it has been an exhausting day again.Thanks for you kind words and interesting,informative words of wisdom. I know that I have learned so much these last 2 very long weeks.

I wish you all a good night.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 13th January 2006, 11:35 PM
Victor,
I checked this thread about 1,000 (okay, maybe 900) times hoping to see a post from you.
Were you able to check the zoo today?
Please try to arrange to be at the zoo when they open.
If you think you see Tooter, maybe they would allow you to use a ladder to reach him ~ especially if there aren't many people around.

Phyll
Posted 13th January 2006, 11:39 PM
Sorry, I was posting at the same time you were, Victor.
Thank you for the update.
Please do not get discouraged. Tooter hung around the area, you'll see him there again.
We're still praying for you to reunite with Tooter, & thanking God that he is safe.

Phyll

Last edited by phyll; 13th January 2006 at 11:46 PM..
Closed Thread

Tags
animal shelter, baby pigeon, collared dove, fancy pigeons, feral flock, feral pigeon, flight feathers, hawk attack, homing instinct, humane society, injured bird, injured birds, local feed store, male pigeon, pet pigeon, pigeon feed, pigeon food, pigeon friendly, pigeon loft, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, white dove, white feathers, white pigeon