Tooter Is Missing In Action - Page 12 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Closed Thread

Posted 15th January 2006, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
Hello everyone,

At 1:55pm on New Years Eve, a tragedy in our household happened just minutes before I had to leave for work.

It was a balmy, sunny day here in Omaha Nebraska, a perfect day for my pigeon, Tooter to get some good flight time and sunshine while I was out doors doing some odds and ends. I was preparing to bring Tooter indoors for the day, as rain was in the forcast, and I stepped into the kitchen, just 12 steps away from his large cage, to get some fresh seed, and I heard a comotion outside. For a split second, I thought he found himself a girlfriend and thought of the King pigeon I had recently read about. It was not a pigeon and I knew that Tooter was in trouble. I ran outdoors and the large bird and Tooter both were tumbling and fighting each other in the air. I ran down my trail yelling for Tooter. The two went down to the ground where the fight ensued.I got closer and yelled more. The large bird, which I realized then was a HAWK, flew away in a northeast direction, and Tooter went in a southeast direction, in fact he flew right above me. I reached out with an arm and commanded "Tooter! Tooter!", but he just flew like there was no tomarrow. I ran down the street til I lost sight of him.

Already late for work, I called the person I am to relieve and explained that I had a family emergency. I got in my car and drove around the neighborhood looking for him. I parked then walked and walked calling out his name with no results. I somehow knew he was in shock and flew as far as he could to get away from the bully and may be hiding out, so I ended my search and went to work, late. My wife also attempted to locate him.

The next day, NewYears, I woke up at pre-dawn, and off I went walking the streets calling out his name.I searched for hours.I searched two locations where feral flocks hang out, still no Tooter. I went back into my wooded area and found plums and 5 of what seemed to be flight feathers, but no taces of blood or other bird parts. The feathers were his. Determined that he was still out there I searched again with no luck.

Late in the afternoon I heard an unusual "CAWW CAWWW" sound.I went outside and there was the grey and silver hawk perched on a tree limb and then off he flew, north. Very long wing span.Again, I again serached the area.

This is the 3rd day now that he has been missing. The first 24 hours was very hard on me.I wanted to post my horrific experience but finding Tooter was the single most important thing in my mind,so I didn't, til now. I trust he is still alive and hiding out somewhere and I need your prayers, or thoughts to come my way to help me find him, if it is meant to be... If he is still alive.

A stranger up the street told me "if he got away from the Hawk, he is one very lucky pigeon...that doesn't exactly happen everyday."

I did a very irresponsible thing by leaving him outside. I was much too trusting, not of Tooter, but of the outdoors. A couple of you warned me, if I didn't want to loose him to a predator, don't let him loose. The advice you gave was so correct.I got too comfortable with him being outside.All it took was 12 steps into the house...12 seconds.

I will going back out in search of him. Is he alive? Did he join a flock and find a companion? Is he hurt somewhere? Did he find a new rescuer? Did he fall prey to another ...or the same predator, which by the way is still lurking outside from time to time. So many questions...if ONLY I knew.
well i hope people are replying good things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th January 2006, 02:55 AM

Telepathic calling

I am still concerned about the presence of the hawk in your area , Victor. It may be keeping Tooter away or a danger to him if he makes his own way back. But if or when the area is safe could try this, I have known it to work on cats, it might also work on birds: Just sit at home and call him in your mind.

Many years ago when I lived with my mother we had a a house move, and within a few days her beloved cat disappeared. After two weeks of searching the new and old neighbourhoods, walking the streets calling his name, advertising and asking there had been no sign of him.

I persuaded my mother to call him in her mind when she went to bed that night. She was sceptical, but did just that. Within minutes she heard a miaow at the back door and there he was.

Cynthia
Posted 15th January 2006, 11:49 AM

Another morning at the Zoo~

Thank you Cynthia, we have heard of that method being at times successful and will incorporate that "train of thought" method in our search mode.

Everyone~ I spent another cool morning at the Henry Doorly Zoo looking at their pigeons at the petting zoo section, but no Tooter.

I spoke again with the staff ,and Sara said that they have not had any more recent sightings of a tame pigeon since last week.

I got a more accurate explanation of "Bob", the man who was filling in for a sick caretaker, and he did not actually SEE the action taking place, he said a patron later had told him about their (zoo) tame pigeon trying to land on patrons heads~ which "their" pigeons do not do.

I will hold the thought of last Wednesday when I was certain I saw him flirting with a white pigeon girl, and how he responded to my calling his name...I just wonder where he is hiding out now...???

TOOTERVILLE

Posted 15th January 2006, 12:23 PM
Victor,
That bad boy has set up house, and is doing his best to make you a grandpa.
Daryl
Posted 15th January 2006, 01:57 PM
You know, as bad as I feel about what happened to Tooter, I actually laughed at what Pigeon Mama said. It just came out so funny.

Well maybe he does want to start a family now, now that he's found himself a woman. Hopefully he'll visit with the grandkids.
Posted 15th January 2006, 03:18 PM
Garye,
Why feel bad for Tooter? I feel bad for Victor and his family, yes I do, but Tooter is live and well out there, and doing what a feral pigeon is supposed to do, give his daddy gray hair !!! We haven't heard the end of Tooter's saga, believe me. Victor's relationship will now have to broaden to handle a new pidgey wife and kids, too.,
Daryl
Or, should I say grayer hair?
Posted 15th January 2006, 03:54 PM
Why do I feel bad for Tooter? For one thing, he was attacked by a hawk and was scared away from his home and "family". Now, if he has indeed mated and started a family of his own, that would be lovely, but I feel for all the members of this family: Victor, his wife, and Tooter. I'm just hoping that even for a minute, they'll all be reunited just to know that everyone's ok.

It may be selfish of me, but I do want to know that Tooter is ok (you know, maybe get to know his wife and soon-to-be family. Pigeons have families too!) and that hopefully Victor and he will be together again - if only for a minute.

But I had to laugh at what you said about his determination about making him a grandpa. It was just so funny!
Posted 16th January 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi all~

We thought today was the BIG day.

The phone rang at 11:12 am and it was a happy zoo employee, Sara, and she said, "Victor we think we have your Tooter! He is tame and came right to us, and he looks like the picture of Tooter.Come down and get him!"

When I arrived at the admissions window, my pet carier in one hand and zoo pass in the other, she asked, "are you Victor?...go right on in we were expecting you!"

I got to the petting zoo area, opened the barn door, my heart racing...and Sara greets me and says, "Oh Victor I have some terrible news. He didn't make it. He died 10 minutes after I called you, but we figured you still wanted him."

I asked to hold him. She took him out of their small carrier, and it was NOT Tooter. This one had a white flair to his back bone area. If it was not Tooter , I would have taken him or her home regardless.

They were relieved it was not him, and assured me they would still be on the look out.

A close call, to the mind anyway.

Still positive and missing our Tooter bird.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 16th January 2006, 05:41 PM
Ohhh Victor .. what a rollercoaster ride that had to have been for your heart. I'm very sorry for the loss of the pigeon but awfully happy it wasn't Tooter. It's very nice of the zoo personnel to be trying to help as they are.

Terry

Posted 16th January 2006, 05:46 PM
OMG my heart nearly stopped as I was reading your post, Victor. I can just imagine what it did to your heart!

whew.......I can go back and continue praying now.

Was there any indication what this pigeon died from?

Posted 16th January 2006, 06:18 PM
I am so sorry you had to go through this, Victor.
I am sorry that the poor pigeon didn't make it, but I am glad it wasn't Tooter.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and of course Tooter.

Reti
Posted 16th January 2006, 06:29 PM

NOT Tooter

Sara told me that Bob (another zoo attendent)found him by the monkey cages and as he approached it, it would not fly away. He stooped down, extended his arm and commanded "Toooter" and the pigeon willingly just hopped on his arm. Sara took its temperature, and it was very very low. They brought it inside, and put him in a carrier, put seed, and water, and 10 minutes later after they went to se if he had eaten, it passed away.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 16th January 2006, 06:35 PM
oh, I did hold the dead pigeon, it was a grey feral, still warm. I saw no wounds
present, blood, or unusually evidence of foul play or missing feathers...pretty clean in general.

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 16th January 2006, 06:40 PM
Victor, I am so glad that wasn't Tooter! We are still Praying for you and Tooter!

Love Denise and Squidget
Posted 16th January 2006, 07:00 PM
I'm happy that it wasn't Tooter but then I'm sad about the other bird. Poor thing. He must've been someone's pet but somehow got lost and out on his own. Too bad he died. Well in the end someone was kind enough to care for him again and it was nice to know Victor that you would've taken him if he had lived.

I still hope Tooter's alive and well.
Closed Thread

Tags
animal shelter, baby pigeon, collared dove, fancy pigeons, feral flock, feral pigeon, flight feathers, hawk attack, homing instinct, humane society, injured bird, injured birds, local feed store, male pigeon, pet pigeon, pigeon feed, pigeon food, pigeon friendly, pigeon loft, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, white dove, white feathers, white pigeon