Tooter Is Missing In Action - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Closed Thread

Posted 4th January 2006, 06:31 PM
I am not sure how to trap a hawk. But if he is hungry, maybe a store bought chicken leg in a cage with a one way door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th January 2006, 06:33 PM
Well, it's just better to get a licensed raptor trapper to take care of it. It's a $1,500 fine here to trap one without a license and a $15,000 fine to kill one. Did I mention the possible jail sentence?

Pidgey
Posted 4th January 2006, 06:37 PM

Fine?

OOH!!!...
That is a lot of money! I recall reading that they are a protected bird.Worse yet...JAIL??

TOOTERVILLE

Posted 4th January 2006, 06:37 PM
You're right. It's illegal to capture them. My main problem with hawk traps is that the way you are suppose to use them is to put a live pigeon in the bottom of the trap/cage. When the hawk dives in after it, it closes up on him and you can then take him somewhere and release him. But what about that poor pigeon. Although the hawk can't get to it, the pigeon doesn't know that and I can just imagine how terrified and horrified the poor bird must be. We've been offered a hawk trap to use here at our loft, but I could never do that to a pigeon, so we just take our chances with the hawks. I got side tracked on talking about the hawk and forgot to mention Tooter. I've followed the threads and worried and wondered about him. I've said this many time on this site but I'll say it again. When a bird is missing, there's ALWAYS the chance it will return. We've had them be missing anywhere from 2 hours to 2 months.........don't stop hoping...

Last edited by Lovebirds; 4th January 2006 at 08:37 PM..
Posted 4th January 2006, 07:48 PM

Victor I am so sorry to hear about

Tooter, you might try contacting an animal psychic, they might lead you to Tooter. I have heard a lot of success stories of people locating their lost pets this way. And also fliers are great to get the word out. I hope he comes home soon. Good luck.

Andi
Posted 4th January 2006, 07:58 PM
Sorry Victor! Bad idea!

Denise
Posted 4th January 2006, 08:11 PM
sorry its abit late im sorry to hear about tooter i hope he returns home soon as some1 already said maybe hiding until the hawk leaves the area that may be a good sign the hawk is about good sign tooter is still alive
Posted 4th January 2006, 08:47 PM
Oh, Victor, I'm so sorry to hear about Tooter! I know it is very hard, I lost my Fluffy in the same way. I'm praying for you and for Tooter to return...
~Alice
Posted 4th January 2006, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=andinla]Tooter, you might try contacting an animal psychic, they might lead you to Tooter. I have heard a lot of success stories of people locating their lost pets this way. And also fliers are great to get the word out. I hope he comes home soon. Good luck.

Although many people don't believe in psychics, there are many things we can't explain. I think a pet(animal) psychic is a great idea. Maybe some of the site members can private message Victor with some names...

I sure hope Tooter will be home soon!!!

Even if the hawk was caught and released in another place, there's no guarantee that he/she wouldn't find its way back! After all, what self-respecting hawk would want to give up "easy" pickings! Besides, if THIS hawk is removed, what's to prevent another one taking its place? If one HAS to deal with a hawk, better one you KNOW than one you don't!
Posted 4th January 2006, 10:13 PM
I sure hope Tooter comes home soon too...!

At least now he is quite Hawk-Savvy, and will never let one get the drop on him again, I am sure...

The other day I saw a bunch of my feral Flock all suddenly land and hold still, as a small Falcon or Hawk or Kestral flew by and landed on a 'phone poll top. It was about the size of a Robin, or maybe a small debutante feral Pigeon, tops.

It was one of those windy days, and maybe he was tired...but they all sure knew the drill...even if it was of a species too small to bother them...

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 5th January 2006, 12:44 AM

Tooter is missing in Action

Victor,
About a year ago my Cinderella did not come home with the rest of the flock. She showed up a week later, and my guess would be she was under a car, she had car greece all over her. What ever happened to her traumatized and changed her behavior. She would stay in her cage most of the time. She would come out to take a bath in the pond, and lay in the sun with her mate, but she didn't care to fly anymore. A month ago, I watched my very weak little flyer go over the roof tops with a speedy Peregrine Falcon a second away from grabbing her when I lost sight of them behind a tree. Her mate cried for her for three nights. At one point I went out side at 3:00 a.m. with a flash light, thinking that maybe she was out there and he knew it. Four days later while I was outside with the birds. I almost stepped on this mangled little bird on a quest to get home to her prince. She couldn't see, she couldn't fly, she could barely walk as she stumbeld and bumped into things trying to get to her cage. Pigeons.com saved her life, but this is another story. My point is... the people next door have many cats...on the other side lives three German Shepards...behind me a pitbull that eats sparrows for fun. So, tell me how does a bird get home that can't fly, can't see, and falls over as she walks? Don't give up Victor! There are angels on this web-site, and they are out there for Tooter too! How do you think that pigeons find their way home?
Feather
Posted 5th January 2006, 01:25 AM
My prayers continue for Tooter's safe return. I've been asking the Saints to intercede for him, & asking Our Lord to keep him in His care.
Victor, you may already be doing this, but, just in case. Check your shrubery & around your property every single day. Call for Tooter whenever you are on your property.
He may return & hide out there, remembering his encounter.
His fear may keep him from emerging, even at the sight of you, so call to him.

Another thing that's been in my thoughts ~
As frequently as possible, check the area where you & your son found Tooter last year. I'm sure you have visited that area, but check it often.
Tooter may find himself there & wait for you to come & get him.

Glad to hear that you intend to distribute flyers on the bus. Having as many children as possible "on the lookout" for Tooter will surely increase his chances of being spotted.

Keep the faith, Victor. All of our thoughts & prayers are with you & Tooter.

Phyll
Posted 5th January 2006, 01:32 AM
Feather,
Thank you so much for sharing such an inspirational story. I hope your sweet pigeon made a complete recovery. God bless you.

Phyll
Posted 5th January 2006, 02:39 AM

Victor Just to let you know the pigeon I have now

was attacked by a hawk and is healthly and happy, also my co-worker found a pigeon who was attacked outside of her house a few days ago and survived and is doing well. They do manage to survive after an attack. There are many kind people in the world who would help a pigeon in need.

You might try going to the local schools and passing out photo flyers to kids in and around your neighborhood they will be extra eyes out there in your search for him especially if you offer a small reward. Also post flyer's in any vet's offices, local shelters, and wildlife rehab places around your area.

Andi
Posted 5th January 2006, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll

Another thing that's been in my thoughts ~
As frequently as possible, check the area where you & your son found Tooter last year. I'm sure you have visited that area, but check it often.
Tooter may find himself there & wait for you to come & get him.

Phyll
Hi Phyll~and everyone~
Bev and I discussed that very theory a few days ago and yes I check there several times a day. I do want to thank you for the thought...with so much on my mind, I could have overlooked it! If you or anyone has any more thoughts or ideas I may not have tried from your own experinces please post.

I am on the local Humane Society's list now, and just visited with the staff at my vets office. I posted a flier at the clinic too.

It will be a short day for searching. I have to go to my "real job" tonight...Darn it.

Thanks for your loving concern everyone.

TOOTERVILLE

Last edited by Victor; 5th January 2006 at 08:52 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
animal shelter, baby pigeon, collared dove, fancy pigeons, feral flock, feral pigeon, flight feathers, hawk attack, homing instinct, humane society, injured bird, injured birds, local feed store, male pigeon, pet pigeon, pigeon feed, pigeon food, pigeon friendly, pigeon loft, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, white dove, white feathers, white pigeon