Tooter Is Missing In Action - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Closed Thread

Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:05 AM
Exclamation

Tooter Is Missing In Action

Hello everyone,

At 1:55pm on New Years Eve, a tragedy in our household happened just minutes before I had to leave for work.

It was a balmy, sunny day here in Omaha Nebraska, a perfect day for my pigeon, Tooter to get some good flight time and sunshine while I was out doors doing some odds and ends. I was preparing to bring Tooter indoors for the day, as rain was in the forcast, and I stepped into the kitchen, just 12 steps away from his large cage, to get some fresh seed, and I heard a comotion outside. For a split second, I thought he found himself a girlfriend and thought of the King pigeon I had recently read about. It was not a pigeon and I knew that Tooter was in trouble. I ran outdoors and the large bird and Tooter both were tumbling and fighting each other in the air. I ran down my trail yelling for Tooter. The two went down to the ground where the fight ensued.I got closer and yelled more. The large bird, which I realized then was a HAWK, flew away in a northeast direction, and Tooter went in a southeast direction, in fact he flew right above me. I reached out with an arm and commanded "Tooter! Tooter!", but he just flew like there was no tomarrow. I ran down the street til I lost sight of him.

Already late for work, I called the person I am to relieve and explained that I had a family emergency. I got in my car and drove around the neighborhood looking for him. I parked then walked and walked calling out his name with no results. I somehow knew he was in shock and flew as far as he could to get away from the bully and may be hiding out, so I ended my search and went to work, late. My wife also attempted to locate him.

The next day, NewYears, I woke up at pre-dawn, and off I went walking the streets calling out his name.I searched for hours.I searched two locations where feral flocks hang out, still no Tooter. I went back into my wooded area and found plums and 5 of what seemed to be flight feathers, but no taces of blood or other bird parts. The feathers were his. Determined that he was still out there I searched again with no luck.

Late in the afternoon I heard an unusual "CAWW CAWWW" sound.I went outside and there was the grey and silver hawk perched on a tree limb and then off he flew, north. Very long wing span.Again, I again serached the area.

This is the 3rd day now that he has been missing. The first 24 hours was very hard on me.I wanted to post my horrific experience but finding Tooter was the single most important thing in my mind,so I didn't, til now. I trust he is still alive and hiding out somewhere and I need your prayers, or thoughts to come my way to help me find him, if it is meant to be... If he is still alive.

A stranger up the street told me "if he got away from the Hawk, he is one very lucky pigeon...that doesn't exactly happen everyday."

I did a very irresponsible thing by leaving him outside. I was much too trusting, not of Tooter, but of the outdoors. A couple of you warned me, if I didn't want to loose him to a predator, don't let him loose. The advice you gave was so correct.I got too comfortable with him being outside.All it took was 12 steps into the house...12 seconds.

I will going back out in search of him. Is he alive? Did he join a flock and find a companion? Is he hurt somewhere? Did he find a new rescuer? Did he fall prey to another ...or the same predator, which by the way is still lurking outside from time to time. So many questions...if ONLY I knew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:14 AM

Oh No!!

Oh, Victor, I am SOOOO sorry to hear about Tooter!

I know ALL of us will send prayers that Tooter is safe and "FIND" thoughts to you!!
Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi Victor,

I have it in my prayers that Tooter is allright and soon reunites with you...!

I imagine that really scared him..and who knows, it might take a while for him to calm down and return to his usual state of mind to think, "Oh yea! I better get home now!..."

Phil
Las Vegas

Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:26 AM
Im very sorry to haer about your pet pigeon

I hope Tooter is safe
Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:39 AM
Victor, talk about devastated. I am, for you. We all love Tooter. I honestly don't know how to tell you how sad I am right now. Prayers coming your way now.

Maggie
Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:41 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Tooter. I've heard so much about that bird that I love it as if it were my own. I do hope it shows up again alive. My prayers are with you.
Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:55 AM
What a nightmare, Victor!

He was well enough to fly off so there is a chance that he just got lost, particularly if he doesn't know how to home to your place.

Don't give up hope just yet. Yong saw her Driveway carried off by a hawk but she made it back home. Keep looking and praying.

Cynthia
Posted 3rd January 2006, 10:59 AM
Victor, Good thoughts and many prayers headed your and Tooter's way. Hope you find him very soon.
Daryl
Posted 3rd January 2006, 11:37 AM
Ohhh Victor,

I am so very sorry for you and Tooter. Take heart in that the Tooter bird was not injured so badly that he wasn't able to make his great escape. He'll be back, and I know you'll be looking for him.

Victor, do know that aside from never letting Tooter have his time outside, there is and was nothing you could have done to prevent this. I know that won't make you feel any better, but it's the truth.

I released some young sparrows a couple of seasons ago that I had raised from tiny, eyes closed, naked babies .. I'll be damned if a hawk didn't get one of them right in front of my eyes. I never saw him/her and just about died when I heard the young sparrow scream. I'll never forget it and never forgive myself, but I do know that this is nature and that nature is a far more powerful source than all of us humans put together.

I hope Tooter comes home soon!

Huge, huge hugs to you, Victor. I know you are hurting badly. Please keep us posted.

Terry

Posted 3rd January 2006, 11:41 AM
We are all sending you our love Victor, don't give up hope.

Suz.
Posted 3rd January 2006, 11:44 AM
good luck victor we'll all be pulling for you and tooter. its such a sad story especially when we all have our own pets.

godspeed to tooter and i hope he makes a return to his home!
but...thank goodness it wasn't worse than it was..........
Posted 3rd January 2006, 11:46 AM
I am so sorry to hear Tooter is missing. I am sending out tons of prayers that he returns soon!

I would go out and call him with familiar sounds that he knows.

I had a bird return within a week after a hawk attack.

Posted 3rd January 2006, 12:09 PM
Unhappy

I am sorry

I am so sorry Victor - I know Tooter was your little guy. It must be so worrying for you, but please don't lose faith that he won't return. I am sure he will when he has got over his shock. He may be associating your backyard with that hawk at the moment and be a bit spooked about venturing back.

Everything crossed and positive thoughts and prayers coming your way for his safe return

Tania x
Posted 3rd January 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm wishing the best for Tooter, too. These days, I try to not get too close to an individual pigeon for this very reason. Lin and I have had a few of our most favorite pigeons get lost or taken and it's terribly hard. I've wandered the neighborhood for days too many times. With an entire flock, at least, it's a bit easier because you can huddle with all your other "friends" in commiseration.

Pidgey
Posted 3rd January 2006, 01:44 PM
Oh Victor, I'm so sorry for the heartache you are going through. I'm sending out my best best wishes that Tooter is safe and will find his way back to you.

Linda
Closed Thread

Tags
animal shelter, baby pigeon, collared dove, fancy pigeons, feral flock, feral pigeon, flight feathers, hawk attack, homing instinct, humane society, injured bird, injured birds, local feed store, male pigeon, pet pigeon, pigeon feed, pigeon food, pigeon friendly, pigeon loft, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, white dove, white feathers, white pigeon