Would like fertile egg - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 3rd March 2006, 04:31 AM
The Dinkster ain't gonna' believe that he's adopted, you know. He's absolutely for certain that YOU are "Daddy" and so showing him those pictures isn't going to do a bit of good. And if we have anything to learn from LucyLiu, he might NEVER accept the idea.

Rallow... can you "coo"?

Gramps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd March 2006, 01:59 PM
I thought that I might point out that I have very few feathers, and not much of a beak.

When I found Lucy Liu, like all young birds who fall from their nests she was traumatized to the nth. The few times that weve showed her other pigeons on the window ledges shes taken a quick look, then made a bee-line for her cage. My wife thinks that she is afraid of other pigeons because she assonates them with the days she spent alone and frightened on the ground, before we found her. Ive always thought that this idea gives her to much credit for sensitivity, but after learning and reading about what perceptive and enigmatic creatures pigeons truly are, hay who knows!

Last edited by rallow; 3rd March 2006 at 02:01 PM..
Posted 3rd March 2006, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallow
I thought that I might point out that I have very few feathers, and not much of a beak.

When I found Lucy Liu, like all young birds who fall from their nests she was traumatized to the nth. The few times that we’ve showed her other pigeons on the window ledges she’s taken a quick look, then made a bee-line for her cage. My wife thinks that she is afraid of other pigeons because she assonates them with the days she spent alone and frightened on the ground, before we found her. I’ve always thought that this idea gives her to much credit for sensitivity, but after learning and reading about what perceptive and enigmatic creatures pigeons truly are, hay who knows!
Kinda' low on those myself!

Oh, I think they're a lot more like us than you would ever imagine. It's really going to be interesting when The Dinkster gets a little older. She might be a little detached right now but eventually she's probably going to get more and more interested ESPECIALLY if The Dinkster turns out to be a boy. But, that's way down the road at this point.

By the way, I REALLY love that picture of him peeking over the top of his box! You need to add more pictures for us so that we can see the coloring you described.

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 3rd March 2006 at 03:30 PM..

Posted 3rd March 2006, 04:16 PM
I think I’ve figured out why The Dinkster has so many different color feathers. (Several shades of gray, white, and a little black.) Seems he’s emulating my beard!

I've added more pictures. http://cbargains.com/dw/d-index.htm

Last edited by rallow; 4th March 2006 at 05:41 AM..
Posted 4th March 2006, 01:56 PM
GREAT PICTURES, Rallow! Gee, ain't too proud a dad, are ya!

Dinkster looks like she (don't know why I think "she") will be a really beautiful pigeon! Can't wait to see what she will look like fully feathered. BTW, she won't mind not having a "fully feathered" foster dad at all!

You have done a tremendous raising job! What a cutie!

Will also look forward to the relationship between Dinkster and Lucy Liu! Now, THAT should be veeery interesting...
Posted 4th March 2006, 05:03 PM
I'd say that the real "Pidgey" is coming out in the coloring--he's going to be a "red" with a white bib like Pidgey's "bowtie".

Sure looks spoiled though. Bad.

Grampa Pidgey
Posted 4th March 2006, 07:34 PM
Congratulations Rallow. My favorite is the picture of her peeking out from her little towel titled "Warm and Comfy." Adorable.

Best of luck,
Linda
Posted 5th March 2006, 06:35 AM
Bob, wonderful pictures. Dinkster is going to be a beautiful bird. Thank you.

Maggie
Posted 6th March 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks very much you guys for all the nice comments.

Yes, The Dinkster is spoiled, but then why not! There are so many pigeons in particular, and birds and other animals in general who get ground up in the human machine, that if a few like The Dinkster can live the good life as a well loved, and spoiled pet, then that can only be a good thing. I am disabled, my only child is out on his own, and I have lots of time to care for my two pet pigeons. It does not matter that he will be no more able to fend for himself than a dog, house cat, or other pet bird because he will be cared for and loved by my wife and I all of his life.

Dinkster Pihotos and Videos: http://cbargains.com/DW/D-index.htm

Last edited by rallow; 26th March 2006 at 10:50 AM..
Posted 4th April 2006, 11:18 AM
Folks, there are more photos of The Dinkster now and he's looking pretty close to what he's going to be for life:

http://cbargains.com/DW/D-index.htm

Pidgey the Proud Papa
Posted 4th April 2006, 11:59 AM
So, Pidgey, does he look like mama or papa?

Posted 4th April 2006, 01:05 PM
He's the purest blend of the two that they've ever kicked out. As you might imagine, Pidgey's a bit selfish (with respect to everything, really) about the genetic makeup of the kids so she doesn't give her husband much say in the matter. He's lucky to give 'em one lousy tailfeather most times.

However, he must have done something right this time, because he got a lot more genes in there than normal. Maybe she's finally softening up some. Whatever. In any case, The Dinkster's going to be a prettier-than-average pigeon.

Pidgey
Posted 4th April 2006, 01:52 PM
Dinkster and Lucy Liu are just lovely. Great pics, I so enjoyed them.

Reti
Posted 5th May 2006, 11:45 AM
With The Dinkster getting so much attention, my first pigeon Lucy Liu is getting jealous. In fact yesterday she came right out and demanded that I post a nice video with only her in it. So here it is!

http://cbargains.com/dw/DV.htm Please click on "I Want to Hold Your Beak!"
Posted 5th May 2006, 02:05 PM
Location: Antwerp Belgium, formerly Cologne, Germany, formerly San Antonio, Texas (birthplace)

Just saw the video of Lucy Liu

Rallow,

Dinkster has some talons! You better stay on his good side! As you say, he is not one to be fooled. It is great to see he is doing so well.

I just saw the video of the beautiful Lucy Liu. When you hold her beak, it seems she is making feeding motions, pumpng her lower abdominal air sacs to regurgitate food into the mouth of her mate. They kiss, stick their beaks under their wings quite a bit until they are ready to pair, then the female hunches down to be mounted by the male. I have been watching our male Wieteke and his mate Mamieke pairing often for a few days, a week before she lays eggs.

So, have you been looking at lofts for the Dinkster in Gettysburg?

Tags
animal shelter, apple cider vinegar, avian vet, baby bird, baby bird formula, baby dove, baby pigeon, beautiful birds, bird seed, broken wing, dummy eggs, egg laying, female pigeon, feral pigeon, fully feathered, injured bird, injured birds, male pigeon, male pigeons, pet bird, pet pigeon, pigeon alert, pigeon care, pigeon eggs, pigeon loft, pigeon parents, pigeon rescue, ringneck dove, seed mix, white pigeon, wild pigeon, wild pigeons, wildlife center, young bird

You may also search for: