Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 28th February 2008, 03:21 AM

Can pigeons see in dark?

Can pigeons see in dark or fly in dark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th February 2008, 05:00 AM
My birds just want to roost at night, and do think their vision is limited, but those pigeons that flew night missions during the war had to be able to see real clearly.

Posted 28th February 2008, 07:05 AM
my birds visability in the dark is 0% i know this becouse ive been many times in and around the loft at night i can touch them or pat them without them moving at all.. but i have heard of pigeons flying thru the night soo :s no clue

Posted 28th February 2008, 07:13 AM
they cant see in the dark, thats why its easir to catch them in the dark. I dont recommend playing around nest when its dark, if the parents leave they will not come back till morning and your egg would chill
Posted 28th February 2008, 08:16 AM
No animal can see in the dark without some kind of light. That's why owls have such big eyes - to let in as much light they can possibly get. With a little light from the moon and whatnot, I'm sure they could see a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pigeon would find the nearest roost and stay there until morning. Flying at night probably isn't on their favorite things to do list. Homing pigeons have a very strong homing ablility so I'm guessing those in the war used everything they had to find home. They did a test on homers where they let a flock go with special contacts in that kept them from seeing anything. They made it home, most landing a few yards from the loft, with a few landing on the roof feet from the landing board. If they could do that with contacts, I'm sure they could do it in the real darkness. I wouldn't risk it though. It's best to fly them on nice sunny days. Flying them in the dark will do nothing but give you a high chance of ending up with many losses from getting lost, hurt, or killed by owls and other predators.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 1st March 2008, 09:05 PM
I believe that the pigeons that flew night missions during the war experienced very high losses. From what I've seen with my birds, pigeons don't have good night vision.
Posted 1st March 2008, 09:14 PM
I've seen a few of the ferals fly off at night. We have street lights of course so it wasn't like pitch black out.
I got home late from work one day/night and the ferals that roost on my patio were still waiting for dinner. I felt bad so I turned on the yard light and threw some seed down. They had a late night snack and went to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him.
Posted 1st March 2008, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
No animal can see in the dark without some kind of light. That's why owls have such big eyes - to let in as much light they can possibly get. With a little light from the moon and whatnot, I'm sure they could see a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pigeon would find the nearest roost and stay there until morning. Flying at night probably isn't on their favorite things to do list. Homing pigeons have a very strong homing ablility so I'm guessing those in the war used everything they had to find home. They did a test on homers where they let a flock go with special contacts in that kept them from seeing anything. They made it home, most landing a few yards from the loft, with a few landing on the roof feet from the landing board. If they could do that with contacts, I'm sure they could do it in the real darkness. I wouldn't risk it though. It's best to fly them on nice sunny days. Flying them in the dark will do nothing but give you a high chance of ending up with many losses from getting lost, hurt, or killed by owls and other predators.
ok i am sorry but whos idea was it to put contacts in the birds eyes? and whos job was it?? just rubbed me funny i have some of my homers that i would not want any part of holding them down for that. vaccines are hard enough!!

E..

[email protected]

We all entered this world naked bloody, scared, confused, and screaming. With any luck, the fun doesn't have to end there!
Posted 1st March 2008, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric98223 View Post
ok i am sorry but whos idea was it to put contacts in the birds eyes? and whos job was it?? just rubbed me funny i have some of my homers that i would not want any part of holding them down for that. vaccines are hard enough!!

E..
That is a funny image. LOL

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council