Do I dare say......... - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 31st March 2008, 01:56 PM

Do I dare say.........

While we were out in the sugar-shack this afternoon, my birds were introduced to "Mr. Cooper!" Oh, he didn't get any, but he sure did try! My birds were NOT free-flying, but in their fly-pen, when "Mr. Cooper" thought he was going to get some lunch! No, he didn't get any, but not for a lack of trying, that is for sure! This is my birds "FIRST" experience with a hawk so close, and I just wanted to let everyone know. They sure did get spooked! I hope they learn from that too. It was like a race, who was going into the loft first! I sure hope I don't offend anyone with this post....

Posted 31st March 2008, 02:17 PM
Not offended at all. It probably happens to most of us at some time or another that a Cooper's hawk comes looking for a snack. Keep an eye out. It will keep coming back to see if there is some way it can get in to your birds. I'm glad the birds ran for the loft.

Margaret
Posted 31st March 2008, 02:20 PM
Nothing to offend, Sue - it's good to know that pigeons the world over have the same reactions as a safety mechanism.They know those hawks by instinct.

We only get the European Sparrowhawks which are related to, and sized midway between, Mr Cooper and Mr Sharpie. Twice I recall seeing every pigeon in the aviary freeze and all conversation stop, and wondered why, until the second time - there was a Sparrowhawk quite recognizable overhead.

In fact, last summer I saw one perched only a few feet from Cynthia's kitchen window on the sack trolley, looking to catch a dove. Just after he left, a panicked dove flew the length of the hedge next door and through the open door of the kitchen. The house was empty, so we were able to go check that the dove was OK.

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.

Posted 31st March 2008, 02:23 PM
I hav'nt been unlucky enought to have trouble with mr cooper, i seen birds one day circling one day and thought they were, but from watching different video clips of coopers i now know it was'nt them, I hope i never have to experiance them for real, Just need to learn the birds to trap earlier,
would,nt know what i'd do if i lossed my birds this way,
I hope sue you have no more trouble with mr cooper , I like tommy cooper hes's Great,
Posted 31st March 2008, 02:43 PM
It only happened to me once, at our old house, about 10 years ago. I was outside, doing whatever in the yard, and I had my pigeons out. all of the sudden boom!, I didnt see right away, but sure heard it. I looked tword the house first, then to the birds, sitting smack dab in the center of the loft roof was a big hawk! All of my birds were no where to be seen. I don't know why but i started walking to the hawk, and he must have realized that he better leave and leave fast! and he did! He didn't get any birds
I don't know what kind he was, but I remember that it sure seemed like he had a very embaressed expression on his face before he left. It took my birds about a half hour to come back, but they all did! and I never saw the hawk again. It can sure make you jump!
ND Cooper
Posted 31st March 2008, 02:47 PM

Mr. Cooper?

I'm new to this - does any have a picture or can point me to a picture on the 'net on what a Coopers Hawk looks like?
Posted 31st March 2008, 02:55 PM
Well, I am glad to hear from all of you! I know we have Cooper, Shintail, and Redtails; It DID surprise me, especially being in the middle of the afternoon like that! Oh, I am sure he will be back, but how long before he realizes it is a lost cause? The birds are in a loft and aviary, and I haven't even free-flown them yet, and now, maybe not until WAY later! If at all!
I am glad they are exhibiting "normal" behavior too! They just might live long lives that way!
Posted 31st March 2008, 02:56 PM
Here is a young one:
Attachment 8552

Last edited by Snowbird Sue; 8th May 2008 at 08:14 PM..
Posted 31st March 2008, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo67 View Post
I hav'nt been unlucky enought to have trouble with mr cooper, i seen birds one day circling one day and thought they were, but from watching different video clips of coopers i now know it was'nt them, I hope i never have to experiance them for real, Just need to learn the birds to trap earlier,
would,nt know what i'd do if i lossed my birds this way,
I hope sue you have no more trouble with mr cooper , I like tommy cooper hes's Great,
No need to worry about Coopers anywhere in our islands. You'll get Sparrowhawks and, depending on where in NI you are, maybe Peregrines (and they are real bad boys far as pigeons are concerned). Wonder if the birds you saw circling could be Buzzards (related to N.America's Buteo Hawks). I've watched them circling on Islay, off the Scottish mainland, but I think they hunt rodents. As for Tommy - loved his Fez

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 31st March 2008, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D View Post
No need to worry about Coopers anywhere in our islands. You'll get Sparrowhawks and, depending on where in NI you are, maybe Peregrines (and they are real bad boys far as pigeons are concerned). Wonder if the birds you saw circling could be Buzzards (related to N.America's Buteo Hawks). I've watched them circling on Islay, off the Scottish mainland, but I think they hunt rodents. As for Tommy - loved his Fez

John
John, we have Turkey Buzzards here, and they feed on roadkill. They don't "kill" to eat. They eat what's already dead. I'm not concerned with them. Just the Hawks.
Posted 31st March 2008, 03:29 PM
Yup, turkey buzzards, Hansome arn't they Sue
Posted 31st March 2008, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Cooper View Post
Yup, turkey buzzards, Hansome arn't they Sue
Hey, they give new meaning to UGLY !!!
Posted 31st March 2008, 03:40 PM
Smile

birds eating birds! I wish they would stick to the rodent critters for lunch I don't look forward to this part when I get my guys.
Posted 31st March 2008, 03:46 PM
Hi spirit wings, Turkey vultures are the "garbage disposals" of our roads and forests. they will eat anything that has kicked the bucket! Including (drum roll!) a skunk! Of course, it must meet their criteria: ROADKILL!
Posted 31st March 2008, 03:48 PM
I would keep doing what you're doing with your birds, same thing every day, don't change anything, but be wary, and watch for the next couple of days.
I'll bet that the hawk will give up sooner than you think, and have to go else where for a meal.

Last edited by ND Cooper; 31st March 2008 at 03:50 PM..

Tags
hawk attack, snowbird sue