Does Anybody Know Anything About Ducks? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 20th August 2007, 02:55 PM

Does Anybody Know Anything About Ducks?

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a Pigeon Forum but since Ducks are Birds I wondered if somebody could help me out with them.
In May somebody gave me a male Appleyard Drake we had him for a week and then got him a lady friend. I have no idea what breed she is, I think she is just a cross breed. Yesterday she laid an egg and today she laid another. There not in a nest or anything. Somebody told me that the chaces of her raising them succesfully are very low. Is this true? I thought Ducks new how to breed isnt breeding something every animal can do? Also could somebody tell me about how long Incubation period is or just something that will help.

Thanks for any help

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th August 2007, 03:08 PM
We have quite a few members knowledgeable with ducks, Terry is one of them and also Charis know ducks well. You might want to send them a private message.

Reti
Posted 20th August 2007, 03:35 PM

Hi Reti

Thank you Reti

Posted 20th August 2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Heather,

Some ducks (like some people and other critters) are better parents than others. It's hard to say whether your duck will be a good brooder or not.

A duck will continue to lay an egg a day or perhaps every other day until she has reached the number she wants to have in her clutch. Typically the clutch size can be as few as 4-6 eggs with 8-12 being an average amount and then you have your super achievers with clutches of 18-24 or more. Once all the eggs are present, the duck will start incubation which lasts for about 28 days with some of the larger breeds requiring an incubation time of 35 days.

There is no guarantee that your duck is going to actually make a nest and incubate the eggs. If you are really wanting some ducklings and are able to either provide a home for them with you or with carefully chosen adoption homes, then have a go at it and see what may happen.

Does the duck have access to any nesting material such as twigs, dry grass, leaves, etc.?

Terry

Posted 20th August 2007, 05:02 PM

Hi Terry

She has access to everything as I give her the run which includes a yard with a pond and then about a 20 ft garden which has grass leaves twigs whatever she wants. I found out some more info after a really long search and was really shocked to learn that the father will have no part in caring for the eggs or young.
Posted 20th August 2007, 05:43 PM

All I really want to know is weather she can hatch these eggs and they will survive

Please anyone?
Posted 20th August 2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know much about ducks, but I do remember from somewhere that mommy ducks are on their own.
Do you know the dad?

Reti
Posted 20th August 2007, 09:15 PM

All I really want to know is whether she can hatch these eggs and they will survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather-Mole View Post
Please anyone?
Absolutely .. if she wants to, she can incubate and raise the ducklings on her own. Typically, the Mama Duck is on her own anyway as soon as she starts incubation in earnest. Once in awhile I see a devoted Daddy Duck who hangs around and at least tries to provide protection services and some assistance with raising the ducklings once they hatch, but that is quite unusual.

Terry

Posted 21st August 2007, 04:23 PM

Thanks Alot!

Thats All I Needed To Know, And Reti I Know The Male He Is A Silver Appleyard And Also Belongs To Me

Tags
nesting material