new first pigeon - Page 16 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 3rd February 2007, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
Write this down and take it with you:

75-100 mg/kg, IM-SC, q5d-QW

I'd go Intramuscular. Tell him that she's getting worse and it's probably a strep. If possible, I'd go with oxygen but I know that's going to cost.

Pidgey
Dear Pidgey, thank you for your help this evening. We called the vet's office and are taking her in for the injection rather than trying to force the liquid down her throat. We're hoping the trip (about 45 minutes each way) won't be too traumatic but feel we have to go for it at this point.

I'm taking your prescription with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd February 2007, 08:44 PM
Bless your hearts! We are all pulling and praying for Lully's recovery.

Feather
Posted 4th February 2007, 03:36 AM

Lullaby

She didn't make it. Lully our beloved passed away sometime between eleven p.m. and 1:30 this morning.

We are devastated. She was amazing and our hearts are broken. Thank all of you for all your help and support.

Such a little bird and such a huge soul.

Kathleen and Nick

Posted 4th February 2007, 04:25 AM
Kathleen and Nick,

This news is truly heart breaking, you both tried so very hard for Lully, she could not have asked for better people to have rescued her. I want to thank you for the love and comfort you provided her with while she fought so hard to get well again.

Warm thoughts your way,

Ron
Posted 4th February 2007, 04:27 AM
Oh, Kathleen, what a terrible thing to hear first thing in the morning. I am SO VERY sorry.
No doubt, you did ALL and more than anyone could do. Between you and Pidgey and all the others help, you've got to know that we were all pulling for her.
I, and I'm sure all the others, would love it if you would stay on our forum. Again, I'm very sorry. I know it's hard, but at least Lully knew she was loved and she passed in a nice warm loving home.
Bless you and your husband for taking in this little one and doing all you could possibly to do save her.
Posted 4th February 2007, 06:17 AM
Kathleen,

I'm so terribly sorry to hear this.

I know how heartbroken you must be.

Sending my warmest thoughts and a BIG hug for comfort.

Last edited by Skyeking; 4th February 2007 at 06:20 AM..
Posted 4th February 2007, 07:11 AM
Oh, Kathleen, I am so sorry!! Just remember that you gave Lullybird the best chance she could have had. She knew she was loved and she didn't have to leave out in the cold with no one there to show her love.
Maybe another little pigeon that isn't sick will come along your way and give you love and joy that you have found pigeons bring.

Alice
Posted 4th February 2007, 07:13 AM
Kathleen,

I'm so, so sorry to hear this terrible news.

You did so much to try to help....went above and beyond what many people in your situation would have done. For that alone, you deserved a happy ending and I'm so sorry it didn't work out that way.

Little Lully got to experience receiving more love in such a short time than many animals ever get to experience, even if they are lucky enough to have long lives.

Thank you for trying so hard to help her....you did your absolute best.

Linda
Posted 4th February 2007, 07:36 AM
I am so sorry for you and just feel sick about it. It's rare that anyone tries that hard. I keep thinking and thinking trying to figure out what went wrong but I know from experience that there will be no answer. In the short life that Lullaby had, at least she was loved a lifetime's worth. Bless you both for your big hearts, at least there's nothing whatsoever wrong there!

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 4th February 2007 at 08:05 AM..
Posted 4th February 2007, 08:13 AM
Dear Kathleen and Nick

I recently told Pidgey in a PM that I didn't know when I had been as affected by a pigeon not our own as much as I have been by Lullaby. Both of you have shown tremendous love and compassion for a little being that all of us wanted to live. I was particularly touched when Kathleen wrote that you were newlyweds yet you were so willing to devote the time, effort and resources to care for her.

There is nothing I can say to make her death easier for you to bear, but you can, and should, take comfort in knowing that you did everything possible for her.

Lullaby touched many lives in her short time on earth and we are all better for having known her or about her. I hope you will continue to check in on the forum and also consider adopting a pigeon as a member of your new family.

May God bless you.
Posted 4th February 2007, 11:10 AM

Thank you

Dear Everyone,

Nick and I searched and searched our minds and hearts for any little thing we could have done to prolong her life. There is no answer. I know since all you have these little souls that if I say that she was special it will seem kind of silly, as all of yours are special too. But I want to share a few things about Lullaby that I haven't yet.

This little creature taught Nick and I so much. When I saw her at 2 in the morning with her feet up I burst into tears, not just tears, sobs and felt my heart would break. I have had animals all my life and I have loved them all. I had to put down my beloved Blue Heeler, Ti, in 2002 and never thought I'd ever be able to love like I loved her. She was with me for 15 years.

Lullaby was with me for only 1 month. In that short time she so affected our lives and even the lives of our other animals. Our big Staffordshire Terrier would sit by her cage, not even curious about her but just knowing that she was sick. He would chase the cats away if they got too close to her cage. He protected her. This morning my dogs wouldn't eat their breakfast. They never do that. They know she is gone.

But here is the truly strange thing. Night before last at approximately 2 a.m. Nick and I both woke up at the same time. I got up and looked in her cage, hoping that she was still alive and she was. She was sleeping peacefully. We went back to bed. In the morning Nick said he wanted to tell me something that he said was weird. When we had gone back to bed and I had already fallen asleep Nick said that he saw a bright light coming from INSIDE the cage. The cage has a sheet on it. He said he saw a light like a small flashlight beam that pulsed from a small pinpoint to a radiant light that filled the inside of the cage. The light then faded, it didn't go out but faded out.

When I asked him why he didn't wake me up he said he felt terrible because he was being selfish and wanted to go back to sleep and besides he couldn't rationally explain it. He knew there was no rationale explanation. When he told me I was so happy, I said then she must be being protected. Nick is a very practical man. He doesn't believe in anything that he can't physically see but he did see this strange thing with his own eyes.

So yesterday I was buoyed with some hope as Lullaby got worse and worse. We took her for the injection around 5 p.m. and it seemed to just exaust her beyond words. We couldn't stand the thought of putting the tube down her throat after all she'd been through. We put her on the bed and for the first time I opened her beak and one by one put a few defrosted peas down her throat and with each one said "good Lolly!" Even in that devastated state she turned her head and looked up at me and her eye brightened. Lullaby ate the peas for me, not for herself. She did it to make me happy.

I felt most awful that I went to sleep and she died without me beside her. I know she held on as long as she could and she did it for me.

I don't know what the white light was. I do know that I read that Nicholas Tesla loved and fed the feral pigeons in New York and one, a white pigeon, died in his hands. When it died he said that a white light glowed from it and from that point on, Tesla who had never believed in a supreme being became a believer.

I've thought and thought about it. Do pigeons have some special physical characteristic that would enable them to somehow radiate? There must be some scientific explanation. But yet I know there isn't one.

We are going to have her cremated and we will scatter her ashes in a place with a big sky and lots of trees. She never got a chance to fly so we want to put her ashes in a place the wind will carry them high.

Lullaby was pure. She was pure love. She taught me more about love than anyone or anything I have ever known. She changed my life. I will be eternally grateful for her presence in my life. Thank you all. I will stay on the forum and if another pigeon come to me, then that is what should be.
Thanks again. Kathleen and Nick
Posted 4th February 2007, 11:22 AM
Oh Kathleen I am so sorry about Lullaby. I had been thinking and hoping so much for you both. The bond that you experienced was so special, and you tried so very hard. I know you must be feeling terribly, but really, you went way above and beyond for this sweet bird. I truly feel for you and Nick, and all that you have gone through. You really are sweet and caring people.

I posted before I read your last post, and I just want to say I am really touched by the rare and profound connection that you experienced. It is truly amazing. I'm glad you're staying on the forum.

Sabina

Last edited by sabina; 4th February 2007 at 11:30 AM..
Posted 4th February 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm so very sorry Lullaby left you Kathleen!
You and Nick did all you could to heal her, you went above and beyond the call or duty. Her month with you impacted the three of you deeply and I know she loved you as much as you loved her. She's at peace now, no pain and she's flying wherever she desires. Her mission on earth is done now as short as it was, she's crossed over and has taken her place among all our beloved lost friends and waits for the day you will be rejoined. Always keep her memory alive and she will live forever in your hearts.
Posted 4th February 2007, 12:28 PM
Kathleen and Nick,

This is truly a sad day for the forum. I was going to try to be SO strong for the two of you, but after reading Kathleen's post, I am a mess.

Since I have had my birds there has been many spiritual occurrences that have taken place here that I can't explain. I believe with all my heart that you did not accidentally find Lullaby. I believe that she was presented to you. I know that this sounds corny, but my pigeons have angels. Some of them are on this forum.

Kathleen, I have many white pigeons and doves. I have not felt well enough lately to give them the care that they are use to receiving, and I will not give them up to just anyone. Lullaby's angel put her in a place that you could find her. I just want you to know when you are ready there is another place where you can find a beautiful white pigeon or dove that will benefit from your love.

Lullaby is with her angel now, and through them we have gained two very special friends on this forum. Thank you for sharing this love story with us.

With tremendous sorrow, I feel your loss,
Feather

Last edited by Feather; 4th February 2007 at 12:41 PM..
Posted 4th February 2007, 01:08 PM
Kathleen and Nick,

I am so terribly sorry for the loss of little Lullaby. This is so heartbreaking for all of us and especially so for you and Nick. Bless you both for all you did to help Lully. I know s/he loved you and did her best to stay with you for as long as she could.

Terry

Tags
adult pigeon, avian vet, avian vets, baby bird, baby bird formula, baby food, baby pigeon, bacterial infection, bacterial infections, beak open, black sunflower seeds, digestive system, eating seeds, feeding formula, feeding pigeons, feral pigeon, flight feathers, gut bacteria, heating pad, pet pigeon, pet store, puppy chow, racing pigeon, raw peanuts, seed mix, sick bird, sick pigeon, sunflower seeds, tube feeding, upper beak, white pigeon, wild bird, young bird, young pigeon