shipping/weather questions - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 20th March 2008, 02:54 PM

shipping/weather questions

Ok, i know i've asked a gazillion questions about shipping, but here's a new one. I know i cant ship if it's too cold, but i'm trying to figure out how to get these guys shipped soon. The new homes have been waiting to get them for a long time. And 2 of them need much more capable hands then mine to treat them. They arent sick per say, one missing a beak and one without a top beak.
3 others going to California, the two "beaks" going to Tulsa. I'm sure you can guess who.
Anyways, If the temperature is supposed to be between 40-50 during the day, but has a night temperature of 25-40, which temperature am i supposed to go by?
I know they will ship as long as it's not super cold or super snowy, but what are everyone's thoughts here? Anyone done any shipping as of late? Oh, these birds have been indoors, not outdoors.
Also, if they are leaving Boston, but arriving in tulsa, am i supposed to track the day to day weather in each city along the way? To make sure it isnt too cold anywhere along the route? And how do i do that if i dont know exactly which day they will be flying through which city? Or does the post office help you with that?
Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th March 2008, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmoxiexx View Post
Ok, i know i've asked a gazillion questions about shipping, but here's a new one. I know i cant ship if it's too cold, but i'm trying to figure out how to get these guys shipped soon. The new homes have been waiting to get them for a long time. And 2 of them need much more capable hands then mine to treat them. They arent sick per say, one missing a beak and one without a top beak.
3 others going to California, the two "beaks" going to Tulsa. I'm sure you can guess who.
Anyways, If the temperature is supposed to be between 40-50 during the day, but has a night temperature of 25-40, which temperature am i supposed to go by?
I know they will ship as long as it's not super cold or super snowy, but what are everyone's thoughts here? Anyone done any shipping as of late? Oh, these birds have been indoors, not outdoors.
Also, if they are leaving Boston, but arriving in tulsa, am i supposed to track the day to day weather in each city along the way? To make sure it isnt too cold anywhere along the route? And how do i do that if i dont know exactly which day they will be flying through which city? Or does the post office help you with that?
Thanks a bunch!
Do you know what time of day you would be taking them to the PO and what time of day they leave the PO?

I just checked some of the weather stations in cities that they MIGHT travel through. I really have no idea the route they would take, but I don't believe the weather looks that bad. The fact that there will be three birds in one box and two birds in the other box will help a lot as they can share the body heat.
If it was me, and the PO will let you, I'd try to get them out on Tuesday. Tuesday's overall temps look to be a bit warmer than Monday and besides that, the birds are heading south and west, so they will probably hit better weather as they travel. AND, they'll be to where they are going in 48 hours or less, so the chances of them spending very much time in the colder conditions is minimal I think. I would however, check the weather again on Sunday and Monday just to make sure there's no major changes. Today's the first day of spring and our forecast is for possible snow on Monday.

Last edited by Lovebirds; 20th March 2008 at 03:32 PM..
Posted 20th March 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm sure the weather's going to be fine for my two.

Pidgey

Posted 20th March 2008, 04:23 PM
Shipping the pijis around this time should be fine. I was going to buy some from a guy from Utah back in early December, he shipped it to me and made it to Honolulu but it was returned to him. I didn't know there was restrictions/ regulations of shipping birds to the state of Hawaii. The birds made the round trip just fine... that's from cold (30 degrees) to warm (80 degrees) and back to cold weather. Too bad for me I lost half of the shipping cost cause USPS won't refund it back to the shipper plus no pijis.
Posted 20th March 2008, 06:25 PM
I had a few shipped to me when it was in the upper 20's a few weeks ago. They arrived in excellent condition.
Posted 20th March 2008, 06:26 PM
I woudlnt be shipping them next monday, the monday after, just because i'm too busy with a bunch of stuff to get them down there.
Ok, i gotta call the post office again and talk to the guy about it. Well, i was told it is best to ship on a Monday, because that gives a whole 5 days to get there. Plus the two going to Pidgey, there is some discrepencies, depending on who you talk to, about whether or not tulsa accepts birds on fridays, so i want to get them out on a monday. Here is the 15 day forecast for Boston
http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expand...7&metric=false
I'll keep checking the weather as it gets closer, but the chance of snow flurries on those days worries me, on the 31st or the 1st. When the date gets closer, we'll see if it changes, and i'll talk to the PO again, but i'm pretty sure even they dont know the route it will go until that day, to see what flight they can get them on, which flights have and havent been canceled. So, basically, i will be at the post office and they'll tell me, in which case should i just check the route, and as long as it isnt like blizzard conditions along the route, or as long as it doesnt dip below what temperature along that route, depends on whether i should say yes, or no, to the shipping that day. What temp, as a low temperature, along that route is too low for me to say no to the shipping?
Also, one of the birds going to california has one leg, he's going in a box for birds, but 3 will be in it. Him, a homer, and another very pretty feral. How can i make it comfortable for him on one leg? Also, do they REALLY make sure not to tip the boxes over? I'm REALLY afraiad because the birds with all their legs can right themselves, he cannot. Man, i am nervous about this whole thing!!
Rock, from where did they come from, the birds? How long were they in transit? Were they indoor or outdoor birds?

Last edited by xxmoxiexx; 20th March 2008 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: edit
Posted 20th March 2008, 07:02 PM
I would make the one with one leg a sort of donut towel nest, so he can have support around him and be padded. Weather here (CA) is great right now so that should help a bit.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 20th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Rock, from where did they come from, the birds? How long were they in transit? Were they indoor or outdoor birds?

Not real far, from southern Ohio near the Kentucky border to Mid Michigan. Two days to get to me. They are outdoor racing homers.
Posted 20th March 2008, 08:42 PM
o0k, making a donut makes me VERY nervous, i had a bird die before because my roommate covered the box with a blanket and the towel fell in a smothered the bird. Granted, the bird had bad canker, probably issues with breathing, but what if the box gets tipped over and he gets suffocated?
Maybe i can tape something to the side of the missing leg? Like tape a piece of washcloth to that side so he has extra support? Maybe thats a bad idea, any ideas on this one? Anyone ever ship a one-legged bird before?
Posted 21st March 2008, 04:25 PM
I would take a not-too-fluffy towel, roll it tightly into a donut shape, and tape it securely that way. Just as a kind of "bumper" around the inside of the box, so he could be in the middle but not squished tightly in there. You could even secure it to the box so there's no chance of it moving around and on top of him. I'll think about it, but at the moment that's the best I can come up with.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 21st March 2008, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Also, one of the birds going to california has one leg, he's going in a box for ???? birds, but 3 will be in it. Him, a homer, and another very pretty feral. How can i make it comfortable for him on one leg? Also, do they REALLY make sure not to tip the boxes over? I'm REALLY afraiad because the birds with all their legs can right themselves, he cannot. Man, i am nervous about this whole thing!!
Moxie
What number is supposed to be where I put the question marks? Are you putting 3 birds in a 2 bird box or a 4 bird box?
Posted 21st March 2008, 05:40 PM
oops, sorry Renee, 4 bird box, with three going into it. I wouldnt try and fit them into a 2 bird box. Those three at least have gotten fat!
MJ, thats a good idea, to make something secured to the actual box, everyone agree thats the best way to make little, er, big, or fat, one leg comfy?
Posted 21st March 2008, 05:49 PM
Quote:
oops, sorry Renee, 4 bird box, with three going into it. I wouldnt try and fit them into a 2 bird box. Those three at least have gotten fat!
MJ, thats a good idea, to make something secured to the actual box, everyone agree thats the best way to make little, er, big, or fat, one leg comfy?
does the box have dividers? And I've known people to put 3 birds in a two bird box. That's why I asked.

Last edited by Lovebirds; 21st March 2008 at 05:52 PM..
Posted 21st March 2008, 05:58 PM
If the box didn't come with the dividers, they are easy to make. Just get some cardboard and fit it from corner to corner. I would put the one legged bird on one side and the other two on the other side, OR, you could make the cardboard go from one corner to the other like an X. That's what the divider would be if it came with the box. That way, each bird has it's own little cubby to ride in. It's much safer that way. Three birds in "just a box" will have lots of room to move around and slide around. I would fix the "X" divider and put a towel or cushion of some sort for just the one legged bird. For the other two, I would just put a little nesting material of some sort under them.

Tags
nesting material, racing homer