Tetracycline dose - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 4th August 2007, 09:00 AM

Tetracycline dose

Hi folks,

Can someone please advise on the dosage for tetracycline? I will be able to get it in powder form from an aquarium store, but to know how much to give, how often etc. It's 500mg per packet. If someone can get back to me quickly with easy instructions (I'm not good with the math), that would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th August 2007, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonpal2002 View Post
Hi folks,

Can someone please advise on the dosage for tetracycline? I will be able to get it in powder form from an aquarium store, but to know how much to give, how often etc. It's 500mg per packet. If someone can get back to me quickly with easy instructions (I'm not good with the math), that would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Brad, you can add that sachet to 16oz. of water and give as the only
source of drinking water. If you have concerns about the bird drinking in
normal quantities, then I would additionally syringe am/pm to ensure that
enough of the medicine is being delivered. If you have metronidazole
on hand, it can be combined w/the Tetracycline family of drugs and cover
a wider range of pathogens. At an aquarium supply store it would most
likely be sold as Fishzole. Hope all goes well.

fp
pigeonperson
Posted 4th August 2007, 09:31 AM
Brad,
I hope that this doesn't involve one of your runts. I know you have a vet and strongly urge you to get the bird to the office for fecals and blood tests asap.
Tetracycline is a big yeast producer and should be given in conjunction with Nystatin.
Can you say why you believe the bird is ill? The same symptoms can cut across any number of illnesses.

Posted 4th August 2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks FP and Pigeonperson,

So, one sachet to 16oz of water is sufficient? My waterers hold 2 cups each so that would be perfect for 1 packet...but is that enough? What about the weight factor of my runts compared to a regular pigeon and dosing?

Pigeonperson, unfortunately this has to do with one of my runts, Ricky. She started showing signs of a problem on Thurs morning. Vomiting of seeds was what I first noticed. Today, there is laboured breathing, more vomiting of seeds, weakness and wobbling on her feet after flying and sleeping quite a bit. These are the exact symptoms that Henny had when she got ill. I'm nearly 100% positive that it's another respiratory infection like Henny had that turned into pneumonia.

I already called my vet and it's the weekend, both of them are out of town and the only small animal/exotic vets at the clinic. Spoke to the receptionist however and she confirmed that under no circumstances will they dispense medication without me bringing the bird in, testing, cultures etc. I'm not about to spend another $1000.00 for them to kill this pigeon.

I am going to order some better meds on Monday from Seigals but in the meantime, I've got to try the tetracycline.
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:27 AM
Brad, it breaks my heart that Ricky is sick. You know she will be in my thoughts and prayers.
pigeonperson
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:38 AM
Brad,
You can't trust that the bird will drink the required dose. Do you have a syringe? If you do, syringe 1ml or one cc down twice a day. These are pretty big birds so you should even go to 1.5 ml/cc. Also, The solution deteriorates rapidly so I suggest you prepare a solution and refrigerate it. Instead of putting into the water and leaving it, dose the bird from the refrigerator solution.
Ricky is dehydrating rapidly so I hope you can syringe water down at regular intervals. The water is more important than food right now.
What are the instructions, to use one sachet per day in fresh drinking water?

Last edited by pigeonperson; 4th August 2007 at 10:57 AM..
pigeonperson
Posted 4th August 2007, 10:42 AM
Brad,
I'm recommending you use this drug from Jedds.
http://www.jedds.com/ProductDetail.a...ProductID=2212
Posted 4th August 2007, 11:24 AM
Brad, the dose I'm pulling from is the bottle of Bird Cycline tablets put out
by Thomas Labs and most likely the formulation is based on the weight of a bird
bigger than a feral and smaller than your Runts.

The three entries in the formulary from Clinical Avian Med for Pigeons:

DOSE ROUTE INTERVAL COMMENTS
1. 220mg/kg food Drink QD(every day) 50%,2.5g per tsp

2. 0.549g/L Drink QD for Chlamydophilosis

3. 50mgTD(total dose) PO(by mouth QD Remove Grit
or topical)

I would also get wormers and Metronidazole, then you'll have your bases
covered. They drink from 5-8% of their body weight for a total in a range of 30-60ml/cc per day depending on temperatures.

I'm sorry to hear about Ricky and am praying that she will
respond well to your treatments. Please keep us posted, Brad.

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks Maggie, FP and Pigeonperson,

I have to admit Maggie, I'm a little concerned but if Ricky is as tough as her mother, she should be ok for awhile HOPEFULLY.

Thanks for the med recommendation, Pigeon Person...looks good and I will order it on Monday. This Tetracycline I bought at an aquarium place so it doesn't give instructions for dosing birds. Here is the product:

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/en_us/p...me=Medications It's under T.C. Tetracycline.

I will try it in the water and see how that goes, the birds are pretty heavy drinkers. I will also give some by dropper as well from a refrigerated solution as you recommended.

Thanks again and thanks for the well wishes...I really hope this will make some improvement. I know it's respiratory and the symptoms are identical to what Henny displayed.
Posted 4th August 2007, 12:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Ricky, Brad.
Will think 'good thoughts' that she makes a quick turn around.

Please do keep us posted.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 4th August 2007, 12:28 PM
Brad, I'm sorry I can't offer any good advise, but just wanted to say that I hope that whatever is wrong with Ricky turns out to be minor and that she will soon be well.

Linda
Posted 4th August 2007, 04:18 PM
Those dosages out of Clinical Avian Medicine are not the easiest to apply as they require one make assumptions about how much the bird's taking (and keeping) in. The weight of the bird's necessary, too. For a 1 kilogram bird drinking the minimum range of water (5% of Body Weight per day), you're in the 25 milligram intake according to the instructions for the 0.549 grams/L if you assume that the grams of medicine shown are 100% medicine. The top listing just is from a different reference for a 50% powder. Anyhow, for the 0.549 grams/L, it would mean about one of those 500 milligram packets in a quart of water (32 oz.) would be the same thing as long as Ricky is still drinking 5% of his weight in water per day.

In that book, the listings are said to be for "mg/kg" unless otherwise noted. So, I was assuming that the 50 milligrams TD (Total Dose) was intended to be 50 milligrams per kilogram of bird, Total Dose for a day. Seems like Ricky and the Runts are in that range. If they were to drink more towards the 8%, they'd be getting pretty close to that 50 milligram per kilogram Total Dose at the 549 milligrams of medicine per liter of water.

If you were going to dose strictly by medicating the bird directly, you'd be looking at diluting the 500 milligram package in more like 10 milliliters of water and then giving one milliliter for a one kilogram bird per day to achieve the 50 milligram per kilogram Total Dose per day. That is probably the route that I would take.

Interestingly enough, the general "avian" reference is for 200 to 250 milligrams of medication per kilogram of bird TWICE daily, species undefined. That would mean a Total Dose for one day for a one kilogram bird to be as much as 10 times higher than the 50 mg/kg Total Dose for one day.

Tetracyclines are inherently immunosuppressive so it's one of those things where you want to be sure and get enough to get the bug but not cause another problem with the bird. According to the lab, Henny died of an Alpha hemolytic Streptococcus sp. in the lung tissue. With that in mind, I compared the Tetracycline dosages mentioned above to the Doxycycline entries for pigeons in the same formulary. I'd say the 25 to 50 milligrams of medication per kilogram of bird per day is probably where you want to be. I just hope you don't have a resistant strain.

Pidgey
Posted 4th August 2007, 04:44 PM
Actually, any formulary dosing information based on adding to food or water, regardless of the medical volume you 'pull' the information from, necessitate knowing the weight of an animal and the food or water consumption at the time of medicating. This is why augmenting the water dosing by crop-syringing is frequently added to the administration of the medication in this mode. Especially in instances where there has been a change in demeanor for a bird.

Brad on second look, the Thomas Laboratories Bird Cycline product is a general avian dosage for their product to be combined one 250 capsule to 8oz water.

The medication Brad has is from the Aquarium supply, so the directions there
won't be helpful. I'd put it in the water and supplement as pigeonperson
suggested from the fridge, though additionally.

I'd also order this to have on hand:

http://www.jedds.com/ProductDetail.a...ProductID=2396

Another good product from Medpet.

fp
Posted 4th August 2007, 07:02 PM
Try sulmet it may do better. Plus I used tetr, befor and only used 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water. It was from a vet supply though. Throwing up feed sound like cocsidi, or ecoli And to strong a dose of the meds will cause feed to be thrown up more. Sulmet will also help on respitory effects. Is the bird passing whole grains in its droppings? Also Might check the crop is it empying Or not.
Posted 4th August 2007, 07:18 PM
NOT RICKY, BRAD!! Darn! I am so sorry to hear this latest news!!

WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST WITH RICKY, BRAD!!

With LOVE, HUGS and HEALING THOUGHTS...

Shi

Tags
avian medicine, bacterial infection, respiratory infection, yeast infection