The forgotten dove - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - General Discussion

Posted 7th February 2008, 02:01 PM

Forgetting 'Forget Me Not'

Cynthia,

You'll have to tie a knot in the end your hankie!

Did you find out why she was breathing through an open beak out of interest?

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th February 2008, 06:03 PM
Janet, I never remember to carry a hankie!

The vet just said that Forget-Me-Not has a respiratory infection. I was very worried because Anastasia has been breathing croakily although she has been on Baytril for two weeks. They are in different parts of the house, separated by three doors (Anastasia spins) , but I thought I might have accidentally gone from one to the other . He didn't think this had happened, he said that it was likely that it was a subclinical infection that sparked up with stress. But when he examined Anastasia he said she could have mycoplasmosis , so he has prescribed Tylan for both of them.

As for my cat, Pel Mel, she has an overactive thyroid gland. He tested her for kidney failure and diabetes but it seems she is clear.

Have a happy holiday!

Cynthia
Posted 8th February 2008, 01:53 AM
Cynthia,

You probably will never forget the way to your vets, you must do that trip a lot with all your 'family'.

Thanks for your wishes, my holiday is a bit flawed now as I too had to visit our vets this week with my big dog. Initially going as he had an infection in his paw, while there I asked him to look at a lump that I'd just found on his leg. It turns out it's a tumour and needs to be removed asap, but we have no choice but to leave it until we get back. He loves going back to the breeders house when we're away so at least he'll be in good hands.

Glad Pel Mel is ok, (another great name)!

Janet

Posted 8th February 2008, 01:15 PM
YIKES, Cynthia and Janet!!

SENDING BEST GET WELL THOUGHTS AND LOVE WITH HUGS AND SCRITCHES!!!

Updates will be needed!!

Shi & Squeaks
Posted 8th February 2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks Shi!

Janet, is your dog insured?

Last year my spaniel PIP was found to have mammary tumours, a squamous cell carcinoma in her mouth and a mass on her spleen. This was all discovered when I consulted the vet about her teeth.

Fortunately I had her insured with M&S, who insure older dogs so she could have her surgery at the Animal Health Trust .

Cynthia
Posted 8th February 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Shi and Mr Squeaks,
Thanks so much for your thoughts, hugs and scritches much needed at the moment.
Not wanting to intrude on 'Forget Me Not's' post. My dog walking friends just don't know what's happening. Six dogs have got cancer at the moment from a group of about ten/twelve that we walk with daily, and a further three died from it in the last six months. Really tragic and scarey. I'm really praying mine isn't going to be the next, I love him so much.

Janet
Posted 8th February 2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Cynthia, Just crossed posts,

Funnily enough he is insured with M&S. I moved him over to them two years ago, I couldn't move my other dog as he'd had a lot of different problems and they wouldn't have covered him. I always said Blake, the big one, was my roughty toughty, as he never had anything wrong with him up to now. This year alone he's gone lame, had teeth taken out and now this, and he's only seven.
Before I had the dogs I had a cat that just went in to have a tooth out. The vet phoned me while she was still on the operating table to say she had a tumour in her face and did I want her put down there and then. I couldn't do it just like that, she only had tooth ache I thought. I just had her for a few more weeks.
Did Pip survive all that then, I thought I'd seen you mention him since I've been on here. That must have been a terrible shock.

Janet
Posted 8th February 2008, 04:39 PM
Hi Janet,

Pip is fine now, Robert my vet spotted the carcinoma and sent it off for testing so it was caught earlier than most.

M&S are great! Sadly, 1 dog in 4 develops cancer.

Cynthia
Posted 14th February 2008, 06:40 AM
The Baytril seems to have got rid of Forget-Me-Not's
respiratory infection and she is perfecting her flying skills. When she panics she flies into walls and then slides down to the floor, but she is learning to make sharp turns and steep climbs. All this will serve her well when she is released.

She is completely self feeding now and her poops are healthy.

Cynthia
Posted 14th February 2008, 07:09 AM
That is a great update, Cynthia.
Sounds like it won't be long until she will be released.

Reti
Posted 14th February 2008, 07:26 AM
For the life of me, I don't know how I missed this thread.

Forget-Me-Not is one precious little dove, Cynthia.
So glad to hear she's recovering nicely.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 14th February 2008, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear that Forget-Me-Not is progressing so well. This is the interesting phase for releasables. Helping them learn all the skills and techniques that will help them survive in the wild. Well done!

Tags
baby dove, collared dove, collared doves, mourning dove, respiratory infection, wood pigeon