Adult Great Kiskadee - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 1st September 2017, 12:16 PM

Adult Great Kiskadee

Found an injured(?) Great Kiskadee in my garden.

He doesn't have any external injuries that I can see. But his head/neck is bent to the side.

I assume that his neck isn't "broken" because he is still alive and moving around. Sort of. He is able to flap his wings but I admittedly haven't actually seen him move the rest of his body (I haven't been keeping constant watch because I'm afraid that I'll stress him out with my presence) He also doesn't seem to be able to stand on his legs.

I called a local Wildlife Refuge but they told me that there was nothing they could do. They think that the bird might have flown into a window, that he might have eaten something with pesticides, or that he might be sick with something that's affecting him neurologically.

Don't know what to do. Right now he is in a place that's safe and comfortable. But my heart is hurting for the little guy.

edit: The kiskadee has unfortunately passed away. I'm heartbroken, but perhaps it was for the best. He was suffering for so many hours.

Last edited by ominas; 1st September 2017 at 06:14 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st September 2017, 07:30 PM
Am very sorry to hear he didnt make it. Thank you for trying to help him. Not sure what a great kiskadee is.
Posted 2nd September 2017, 01:34 AM
Thank you. Even though I wasn't able to keep him alive in the end I did at least learn about these sorts of injuries by searching through old threads in these forums. Will keep pigeons.biz bookmarked just in case. You guys are doing amazing work.

P.S: Kiskadees are these cute little guys (not my picture) I see them everywhere here in South Texas

Posted 2nd September 2017, 09:00 AM
Gorgeous birds! Wish we had them where we live. Thank you for caring about birds. We rescued and released an acorn woodpecker, crow, and a western scrub jay.

Tags
adult great kiskadee