Air sac rupture (??) - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 13th July 2011, 05:56 PM

Air sac rupture (??)

I have an injured bird, it's a bluejay not a pigeon but I'm having a helluva time finding information. It's a bird we actually raised as an orphan and had released earlier this summer but I'll be dipped if the thing didn't fly into our garage 2 days ago and right smack into some sticky fly tape. I got most of the sticky cleaned off of it, poor thing was quite traumatized after the whole ordeal and not moving much or acting normally at all. That stage has passed but now I'm left wondering what to do now. It was quite entangled in the fly tape by the time someone got to him and he had fallen wrapped in the fly tape to the floor of the garage, 9ft or so. The injuries don't seem to be too severe as he has started his normal actions and feeding habits again. What we do have however are 2 air pockets, (1 large and 1 small) and a very drooped wing. I suppose I should say shoulder because the wing itself is able to stay folded in more or less a normal manner. I don't know whether I ought to try and puncture the air pockets, or at least the large one, or just wait it out. I'm wondering if maybe the pressure form the pocket is causing the shoulder to drop or not. I'll post pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for any advice you can give!! Scratch that, I'll try to post picture in a little while because it's not working out so well to capture a moving target. The drooped wing is not functioning well either btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th July 2011, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Lynn View Post
I have an injured bird, it's a bluejay not a pigeon but I'm having a helluva time finding information. It's a bird we actually raised as an orphan and had released earlier this summer but I'll be dipped if the thing didn't fly into our garage 2 days ago and right smack into some sticky fly tape. I got most of the sticky cleaned off of it, poor thing was quite traumatized after the whole ordeal and not moving much or acting normally at all. That stage has passed but now I'm left wondering what to do now. It was quite entangled in the fly tape by the time someone got to him and he had fallen wrapped in the fly tape to the floor of the garage, 9ft or so. The injuries don't seem to be too severe as he has started his normal actions and feeding habits again. What we do have however are 2 air pockets, (1 large and 1 small) and a very drooped wing. I suppose I should say shoulder because the wing itself is able to stay folded in more or less a normal manner. I don't know whether I ought to try and puncture the air pockets, or at least the large one, or just wait it out. I'm wondering if maybe the pressure form the pocket is causing the shoulder to drop or not. I'll post pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for any advice you can give!! Scratch that, I'll try to post picture in a little while because it's not working out so well to capture a moving target. The drooped wing is not functioning well either btw.
Still waiting for photos.

Karyn
Posted 14th July 2011, 05:59 PM
Photos would be nice - what you have described so far However reminds me of something my vet said. It is entirely possible for a bird with a broken wing to retain air surrounding the wings as their is actually either passage between the wing bones and the lungs, or the potential for such. Can't remember more about it, but it stuck in my head because I thought it was so amazing

Posted 14th July 2011, 07:02 PM
Here's a link that explains in detail

http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfo...aptations.html

Tags
air sac, drooping wing, shoulder