Baby Black Bird - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 20th June 2012, 08:58 PM

Baby Black Bird

My mother has in her care a baby black bird which she saved from being killed by a pack of ( Evil ) Noisy Miner Birds from her front garden . I rescued one last year but it did not make it .

These black birds would be the same as found in the United Kingdom , would anyone have some feeding / care information I can pass on ???

Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th June 2012, 09:08 PM
Is the bird a Starling?

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 20th June 2012, 09:11 PM
this link will help you in what to find and look for to feed him.. try to stay close as you can to what he eats.. they eat inscects and earthworms..so you can feed him a protein based diet.. you can go with dry soaked kitten or dog food... and give it by opening the beak and putting it down there.. at some point if they know you are feeding them and then they will gape for it.. then you can put it on a chop stick as a "meat ball" and give it then.. or canned dog food or cat food can work too.. a few berries as mentiond as their natural food as well. a laundry basket with paper in the bottom and stick perches when he gets older can work with screen mesh over the top secured with elastic can be a good habitat for them when they are growing..and of course he will need to be released when he is mature. a pic would be nice if you can.

ok I might want to post the link..lol..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Blackbird

Last edited by spirit wings; 20th June 2012 at 10:03 PM..

Posted 20th June 2012, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
this link will help you in what to find and look for to feed him.. try to stay close as you can to what he eats.. they eat inscects and earthworms..so you can feed him a protein based diet.. you can go with dry soaked kitten or dog food... and give it by opening the beak and putting it down there.. at some point if they know you are feeding them and then they will gape for it.. then you can put it on a chop stick as a "meat ball" and give it then.. or canned dog food or cat food can work too.. a few berries as mentiond as their natural food as well. a laundry basket with paper in the bottom and stick perces when he gets older can work with screen mesh over the top secured with elastic can be a good habitat for them when they are growing..and of course he will need to be released when he is mature. a pic would be nice if you can.

ok I might want to post the link..lol..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Blackbird
Thanks for the quick response SW

I had a quick look at it this morning .........it's lost feathering from it's head , poor little thing is bald there . Noisy Minor Birds are just so nasty .I'm pretty sure it might be a black Bird ....I will take a look this afternoon and see if I can confirm what it is for sure .

I thought they were omnivorous , so I dug a couple of worms out the garden for her to try and feed it .......I'll find out a bit later if it was successful . thanks for info about canned cat / dog food ....between us we have plenty of that .

I don't own a heating pad , but do you think a heating pad that a hydroponic shop would sell ....could act and be used for the purpose of keeping a bird warm ??

1 Cat , 7 chickens , 100 + Pigeons of 5 Breeds , Tropical Fish & Cold Water Fish
Posted 20th June 2012, 09:46 PM
RE: pics ............my digital camera died early this year and my cell phone is in for repairs so just at present I can't do anything in that dept.

Sw.........the baby bird has a yellow beak ......does that distinguish the difference between a black bird and a starling ????

1 Cat , 7 chickens , 100 + Pigeons of 5 Breeds , Tropical Fish & Cold Water Fish

Last edited by whytwings; 20th June 2012 at 09:53 PM..
Posted 20th June 2012, 10:07 PM
if he has feathers a heating pad at this point unless he is sick would not be needed.. just keep him inside away from inscects and drafts. I would say it is a starling if it is yellow on his beak. but robins do too.. so a pic would help...but those birds all eat inscects..so the diet is the same.

Last edited by spirit wings; 20th June 2012 at 10:10 PM..
Posted 20th June 2012, 10:10 PM
Here's the Starling. I often here people call them black birds because they do look black from a distance. They eat the same things as the black bird SW posted.
I've always fed the baby starlings soaked dry kitten food as well as berries, meal worms, and bits of cheese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Starling

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 21st June 2012, 02:29 AM
well ......we went and bought a heating pad and some meal worms , but the poor bird had died upon our return .

After closer inspection it was quite clearly a Starling and the Miner birds had caused some real damage stripping the skin and feathering off the back of the head leaving the skull exposed .

Thank you both for your efforts .

Darren
Posted 21st June 2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whytwings View Post
well ......we went and bought a heating pad and some meal worms , but the poor bird had died upon our return .

After closer inspection it was quite clearly a Starling and the Miner birds had caused some real damage stripping the skin and feathering off the back of the head leaving the skull exposed .

Thank you both for your efforts .

Darren
oh that is too bad... did not know he was that badly injured.

Tags
baby blackbird