Baby duck with leg infection - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 7th July 2011, 08:06 PM

Baby duck with leg infection

I found this site doing a search with duck leg infections, I hope someone can help me! I have some 10 day old ducklings. Their bands were left on for too long and several of them had some degree of injury from them and I feel terrible about it but I thought they were all ok. One of the runners is limping badly and has a distinctly swollen leg. I soaked it in a saltwater soak and in h203 but it seems really too late for those to help. I have some baytril on hand and I might consider starting it tonight if I can figure out a dose. Has anyone used it on such a small duck? It is still eating and drinking but I don't want to wait until the infection is too overwhelming. Please let me know what I can do! THank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th July 2011, 08:11 PM
Images? ( of the Duck, and close ups of the effected Leg )

Is there broken skin?

What kind of 'bands' would be on Baby Ducks, anyway? to do something like this???
Posted 7th July 2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpbison View Post
Images? ( of the Duck, and close ups of the effected Leg )

Is there broken skin?

What kind of 'bands' would be on Baby Ducks, anyway? to do something like this???
I'll try to take a photo. It's really just swollen. There is no oozing or anything and I can't really tell if it's hot to the touch but the limping has come on pretty suddenly with no apparent other injury.

There are two small punctures (that I doubt I can capture in a photo). The bands were done but the hatchery for sexing the ducklings. They are plastic bands that are somewhat pointy at the ends and quite stiff, I had to remove them with pliers. they were left on too long and got too tight I feel very bad about it!!

Poor little ducky!

Posted 7th July 2011, 09:56 PM
Just in case you do decide to start treatment with Baytril, I had a look at a few of the old threads on ducks, and TAWhatley (Terry), who has a lot of hands on experience with ducks, recommended a dosing rate of 15mg/kg twice a day. Most times we try and use Trimethoprim/Sulfa in younger birds, but if you feel you need to get an antibiotic going you should be OK with this dosing.

Good luck,

Karyn
Posted 7th July 2011, 10:00 PM
Constriction can cause a localized swelling with no infection present.

This can take several days to self correct, once the constriction is relieved/removed.
Posted 16th July 2011, 09:12 AM
thank you so much for all the responses. The duck seems to be doing fine now with no meds. She still sits a lot but someone who didn't know anything was wrong would not notice. I did lots of soaks and swimming in clean water. I also fed her separately (in addition to their constant food supply) to make sure she was getting enough food. I am keeping this thread handy for future reference
Posted 16th July 2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper View Post
thank you so much for all the responses. The duck seems to be doing fine now with no meds. She still sits a lot but someone who didn't know anything was wrong would not notice. I did lots of soaks and swimming in clean water. I also fed her separately (in addition to their constant food supply) to make sure she was getting enough food. I am keeping this thread handy for future reference
Hi Stamper, thanks for the update, glad things are working out for this little guy, good job.

Karyn

Tags
baytril, duckling, infection, leg, swollen