Baby sparrow fell of from the nest - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 25th April 2016, 06:04 PM

Baby sparrow fell of from the nest

Hi everyone, I noticed a baby sparrow fell of his nest. He looks healthy but he can't fly yet, so he can't get back to his nest. His parents are around, keeping an eye on him and feeding him. They don't leave longer than 5 minutes!

The baby is in a corridor/alley that's between my building and the building next to mine, so he is safe there for now. The problem will be at night, because there are raccoons in that area and sometimes cats.

Do you guys know what can I do to keep him safe if the parents can't find a place to hide him? The nest is high on my building wall and I don't think I can reach up there, not even with a ladder. I was thinking of buying a nest from the pet store (or a shoe box) and hang it by my window and put the baby in there. I also thought about bringing the baby in my apartment and put him out tomorrow morning, but I don't want to freak out the parents.

If I do the nest/shoe box idea, will the parents sleep in there with him? any other ideas are appreciated! it's 5:00pm here right now, so we still have about 3 more hours before it gets dark. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th April 2016, 07:48 PM
Hard call to make and the parents will hear him in the nest box and possibly feed him until his wings get strong and this does not take long once they are on the ground. Is there any bushes or high grass with cover of some kind you could usher him into?. For your own mind I would bring him in and see if you mix a little bit of dog food or whatever oatmeal and see if he will bite at it and some water too--line the outside of his little beak. Take it day by day here and later when he gets strong you can soft release him....All kinds of things are waiting for these birdies..cats racoons, etc etc...I would bring him in and start another day tomorrow and see what you decide..
Posted 26th April 2016, 01:48 AM
Thank you so much c.hert for the help! I didn't bring the baby indoors because I was afraid that if the parents didn't see him in the morning they would think he died. So what I did is I bought a little nest box from the pet store and hung it next to my window, it's on the same side where the actual nest is located, just lower! I put straw inside the box and placed the adorable tiny baby in it! hopefully it will keep him warm.

I'll check tomorrow morning if the parents found him! I hope they do so they can finish raising him, if not then I will bring him in and feed him myself like you suggested.

Thank you again!

Posted 26th April 2016, 04:48 AM
I think in early morning he should be put back on the ground where he was. Parents most likely won't feed him in the nest, they haven't made. So in my opinion when parents come back to feed him in early morning, they should find him there where they left him. At night you can keep him in the nest box or in your room whatever you prefer.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 26th April 2016, 10:22 AM
Thank you Kiddy! seems like you are correct! I checked on them this morning and the baby is on the ground again so he either jumped down on his own or the parents got him out of there! I was wondering why they had done that, but you have answered my question! I guess I will have to put him up again at night if he's still there.

How long do you think until he can fly? parents are still feeding him. Also if I try to put him back on his original nest (the one the parents built) will he stay there or will they put him on the ground again?

Thank you!
Posted 26th April 2016, 11:41 AM
Taking a guess here for he needs to gets those wing and feet muscles strong for flight and I am taking a guess here but about two or three days. So glad they are feeding him and good suggestion on the posters point of putting him on the ground in the morning and as we see he's a moving little thing--lol ..Sure hopes he makes it--any bushes around??..Thanks for the help with this little thing....
Posted 26th April 2016, 08:51 PM
How high is the nest you are putting him in? If he keeps jumping to the ground, he is going to get hurt, and maybe break a leg or something. If you must take him at night, then I would bring him inside and put him back out in the morning.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 27th April 2016, 11:45 AM
I agree with Jay, Jenny. A few times I got baby sparrows fallen off the nest in my balcony. The nest was high but I had no other options since the babies were just a few days old. I put them back by standing on a chair kept on a table (quite risky but no other options since they nested in a hole in balcony ceiling used for hanging fan or lamp etc.) and they fell off again and dead. Next time, I brought a small cane basket, tried to hang just below their nest so if they fell off, they don't get hurt but noticed sparrow parents never feed them in other nests until they see the baby is in trials to follow them got him somewhere else.
So again they both got dead, they both were just a few days old, very tiny. Felt very sad and discouraged them nesting at the place babies keep falling off. It was very small for them. Poor babies.
Hope with your efforts this baby will survive. Don't know how long it will take him to fly. Depends on how feathered he is, don't have much idea of sparrows. Will Google it.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 27th April 2016, 09:16 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies and help! Unfortunately, last night when I got back from work the baby was nowhere to be found. But as I had posted earlier that day, I saw him on the ground with his parents, they were feeding him and taking care of him. The baby was in good shape too, following the mom and fluttering around! and right before I left for work, I saw the parents move him to the front of my building, which is good because there are bushes, trees and other small plants, so hopefully (crossing my fingers here) they were able to find a good hiding place for him there.

The baby wasn't a newborn, he had all his "adult" feathers already, he only had a couple of fluffy-baby feathers on his back, but he was a little bit smaller (and rounder) than the parents. I'm attaching a picture of him when he was in the nest box, it's a little blurry because it was dark and I didn't want to scare him with a flashlight! you can see his baby feather sticking up on his back lol he was so darn cute! I really hope he makes it.

Thank you again for helping me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (32.2 KB, 10 views)
Posted 27th April 2016, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddy View Post
I agree with Jay, Jenny. A few times I got baby sparrows fallen off the nest in my balcony. The nest was high but I had no other options since the babies were just a few days old. I put them back by standing on a chair kept on a table (quite risky but no other options since they nested in a hole in balcony ceiling used for hanging fan or lamp etc.) and they fell off again and dead. Next time, I brought a small cane basket, tried to hang just below their nest so if they fell off, they don't get hurt but noticed sparrow parents never feed them in other nests until they see the baby is in trials to follow them got him somewhere else.
So again they both got dead, they both were just a few days old, very tiny. Felt very sad and discouraged them nesting at the place babies keep falling off. It was very small for them. Poor babies.
Hope with your efforts this baby will survive. Don't know how long it will take him to fly. Depends on how feathered he is, don't have much idea of sparrows. Will Google it.
oh no, that's so sad about those poor babies it must have been sad to find them dead. But at least you tried to help them and you also learned that the parents don't feed them if they are in other nests. Thanks for sharing your story, I will keep it in mind next time I come across other baby birds.
Posted 27th April 2016, 09:30 PM
He made it just fine because it does not take long once they follow the parents and flutter their wings for food---. How cute they are and thanks for the update.
Posted 27th April 2016, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a fledgling. They typically leave the nest and mom and dad feed them and encourage them to fly. Thank you for helping him.
Posted 27th April 2016, 10:30 PM
Agree with c. hert and cwebster, he was ready to be on his own, just needed your attention for a day and night
Thanks for helping him, and the blurred pic. Can see a shadow of a baby bird, possibly sparrow with some shadow of his baby feathers sticking on his back . You are a good photographer in the dark without flash light. Lol