Barn finch fledglings! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 30th March 2012, 09:33 AM

Barn finch fledglings!

Hi there, I acquired 4 barn finch fledglings from my barn this morning that started jumpin out if their nest. Problem is the cat was getting them and got one of the original five so I took the last four. They are soon to fly but I have no idea what to feed a finch fledgling and how often.

Thank you!

"Women and birds are able to see without turning their heads, and that is indeed a necessary provision for they are both surrounded by enemies. -James Stephens"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th March 2012, 09:37 AM
Get your cat, secure it up someplace. take the birds back to the barn and put them in a safe spot close to where they were. the parent bird will find them and feed them, they would do better with that than you figuring out how to care for them. I have these every year also and this happend..we just kept the dogs and cats out of the barn for a week or so and then they were gone with mom., or dad not sure which.

It was my fault as I poked my nose too close to nest and scared them.. same with you?..lol..
Posted 30th March 2012, 09:39 AM
It's not my barn, I asked the owner and she said mother nature and the cat will be well fed.

"Women and birds are able to see without turning their heads, and that is indeed a necessary provision for they are both surrounded by enemies. -James Stephens"

Posted 30th March 2012, 09:40 AM
why did you say it was your barn.

pick the cat up and take it home with you, let the birds go in there and then take the cat back in about a week.
Posted 30th March 2012, 09:44 AM
Well my husband manages the barn so I call is my barn but I can't take the cat away or lock him up PERIOD. He has to stay loose to get the nice and chipmunks.

Thanks for nothing, I'll just let them be lunch.

Posted 30th March 2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaBrooke View Post
Well my husband manages the barn so I call is my barn but I can't take the cat away or lock him up PERIOD. He has to stay loose to get the nice and chipmunks.

Thanks for nothing, I'll just let them be lunch.
there is no reason to be an ass because you don't get the answers you want.. what I suggested is what is best for the birds.. Im sure there is a tack room that frickin cat can be in for a week to help the birds out if your husband can "manage" it! here is a list of rehabbers..find one.

'
http://drtarah.com/files/Georgia_Wil...bilitators.pdf

Last edited by spirit wings; 5th April 2012 at 11:42 AM..
Posted 30th March 2012, 09:57 AM
What is a barn finch? is this bird what we call a barn swallow here in Wisconsin? Kinda blue on top with a forked tail. Little smaller than a sparrow? If this is the same bird, their main diet is Mosquitos, gnats and other small flying insects. Very hard to provide for them. Do you have a rehabber you could check with. If you can absolutely not put them back due to your concerns, a rehabber might be your best bet. You might try finding a bait shop to see if they have any insect bait, or the little white worm, or maggot like things and see if they will eat those. Otherwise, I'm not sure where to get insects to feed. Maybe a wild bird store that might have specialty feeds! Wild Birds Unlimited is one we have here. They seem to have feed for almost everything.

If this is not the bird I'm thinking of, I can't offer any other advice. Sorry, and good luck.
Posted 30th March 2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry spirit wings, didn't see your post about the rehab list.
Posted 30th March 2012, 10:01 AM
finches eat seed, not sure what a barn finch is either.. it may be a house wren for all we know. some birds eat seed some eat insects, The list of rehabbers was given.
Posted 30th March 2012, 10:13 AM
spirit wings - would you have time to send this rehab list to Charis, so she can add them to Matilda's List? I am fairly illiterate when it comes to moving from one page to another. Thanks in advance.

Tags
barn finch