Bearded dragon help please - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 20th June 2011, 03:31 PM
Exclamation

Bearded dragon help please

Hey everyone!

I know it has been awhile since I have posted anything but all of you have been on my mind . I just want to ask for any advice I can get from any of you on my bearded dragon, she has been very inactive for about a week now and a few days ago i noticed she wasn't using her left eye any it started to get clouded and now it has swollen to about 3x the size of the other eye.
I think it is pretty infected but it is not pussing or a different color it is just swollen if anyone knows what could be wrong please let me know.

Thank You!!

joe dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th June 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi! I am new here, and clueless about pigeons, but reptiles and snakes I know.

I need to know a little more first to really help you though.... what temp gradient are you running in your enclosure? Has he shed recently or is he in shed? How old is your beardy? Is he housed alone? How long have you had him? Do you use vitamin and calcium supplements and all that? Also, does the cloudiness appear to be IN the eye or on top of it?

It could be anything from a bacterial infection to a stuck shed, or scratch or debris in the eye. Beardies are able to bulge there eyes out on command but that sounds like something more if it is that much bigger.
Posted 20th June 2011, 11:30 PM
Thank you soo much for responding! I'm not sure the exact temp the enclosure is at, I have a 60 watt heat lamp and a heating pad under the rocks. she is in shed right now. she is about 8 years old. yes she is housed alone I only own one reptile. I've had her for about 1 1/2 years I got her for free from a friend enclosure and all. I have calcium supplement that I have been giving her. I'm not sure on the last one i just noticed that she had her left eye closed for a few days and when she finally opened it it appeard cloudy on the top of the eye now the eye is swollen shut. im pretty sure it is something bacterial but i dont know how to treat it. I'm very greatful for any info I can get. Thank you!!!

joe dirt.

Posted 21st June 2011, 08:00 AM
Actually, with the cloudiness on top of the eye, and her being in shed, you might be lucky and this could be what we call stuck eye caps. With a 60 watt basker and a heating pad your enclosure may be too hot and killing your humidity level, which makes it difficult for them to shed, and eye caps are notoriously difficult to shed anyways. If you have had her a year and a half your temps cannot be that far off, but if its possible, get a couple of tank thermometers from the reptile section (cheap) or get a infrared temp gun (not cheap) to check temps in exact spots. Your hottest hot spot should be 90 degrees give or take 2 degrees, and your cool side should be 79 give or take 2 degrees. It is important for thermoregulation they have access to both these temperatures. The other thing for you to consider is relative humidity inside the enclosure. Is she shedding easily, does the skin come off mostly in one large piece, or does it peel off in bits? If it peels off all willy nilly, you might need to increase your humidity. It should be between thirty and forty percent but never over 50 (too high and they can get sick, too low and their sheds stick) Another way to alter your humidity is to change the sized of your water dish. A light misting with a water sprayer set to mist very finely once a day while they are in shed will help.

This will sound freaky, but if you can look at the shed where her eyes were if the piece of shed are big enough and see if the eye caps came off or not. If they didn't, your problem is definitely a stuck eye cap. (You might also be able to tell by checking out the eye with some magnification) The easiest way to remove it is to loop a little scotch tape on your finger and gently touch the sticky side to the eye and then lift. It might take a couple tries but usually that does the trick. Some people try to soak them off but beardies may not like that as much, and I have seen others use tweezers but that just freaks me out lol. The tape trick always worked great on my snakes.

If you try that and nothing comes off, or you suspect secondary infection, you should look in to some antibiotics on top of that, depending on where you live you can find them over the counter in the pet store or it may be a trip to the exotic vet. Baytril is always a good one.

But honestly, cloudy on top of the eye sounds more like a difficult shed rathr than infection, (infections in the eye are when the eye looks cloudy and swirly INSIDE instead of on top) and infections in lizards and reptiles tend to abscess rather than swell. If the eye is bulging and the eye cap is stuck, the beardy could be doing that on it's own (they can bulge their eyes on purpose) to try and make it unstuck.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!!
Posted 21st June 2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks soo much she dose shed very strangely so i think your right about it being a stuck eye cap. Do you have facebook or email that I can contact you better with? If not than thats ok.

joe dirt.
Posted 22nd June 2011, 06:56 PM
No problem! Hope he gets better! You can email me at [email protected].

Tags
dragon, eye, lizard, swollen