canary: egg trouble? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 10th February 2013, 11:05 PM

canary: egg trouble?

Hello. What does it mean when a hen canary limps days prior to laying? Then lays an egg outside the nest. Then excretes yolk like things. Then is breathing heavy. This is her first time. I suspect lack of vitamin sun deficiency. She has been eating eggs and eggfood and chicken egg shells for more than two weeks. I guess she needs a supplement with vitamin d3. What works? This is a friend's bird. Many thanks PT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th February 2013, 05:04 PM
You got it right, the bird has vit D deficiency and I have had the same trouble with one of my doves. As per my vet, vitamin supplements and artificial light doesn't always help and the best cure for this is natutal sunlight 30 min- one hour/day. I started taking my dove out in a cage on the balcony each day and the troubles stopped.
Watch your bird for any signs of egg peritonitis, seems like the egg broke in her and there is a chance egg peritonitis will develop.

Reti
Posted 11th February 2013, 05:09 PM

egg bound canary

it's time to get her to an avian vet.
if vet is not present you can try this
keep her warm and bring her in the cage in to high humidity area like a steamed up bathroom leave her there for about half hour, lubricate the vent area to help the egg pass with aloe vera gel, vaseline or olive oil. provide warm bathing water, test the water temperature by pouring it on your wrist area palm up to make sure its comfortable for the bird.

if egg broke inside her you need to take her to avian vet, its a life threatening situation. regular vet might not have the proper experience with egg binding

Posted 12th February 2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Hello. What does it mean when a hen canary limps days prior to laying? Then lays an egg outside the nest. Then excretes yolk like things. Then is breathing heavy. This is her first time. I suspect lack of vitamin sun deficiency. She has been eating eggs and eggfood and chicken egg shells for more than two weeks. I guess she needs a supplement with vitamin d3. What works? This is a friend's bird. Many thanks PT.
It could be possible you're hen has a genetic/physical problem in making egg shells. Im thinking this because of the mention of excretes yolk like things. I would get a vet to check her for infections and also do all the calcium with sunlight and D3 suppliments.

Tags
eggbound canary