canker medication in chickens? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 22nd December 2016, 09:59 PM

canker medication for chickens?

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if canker medication formulated for pigeons works for chickens too? I wanted to give Meditrich to a chicken but I don't know if it would work! if yes, what would the dose be? I've read other forums and people usually suggest Fishzole 250mg for 5-7 days. The problem is I only see this chicken 3 days a week so I want something that will work faster and since Meditrich is a single does I wanted to give her that.

Thank you so much, I hope someone here can help me!

Last edited by JennyM; 23rd December 2016 at 12:04 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd December 2016, 03:45 PM
Jenny, Meditrich isn't a single dose. It does say on the bottle one time every 30 days I believe, but that is for flock treatment for racers just as a preventative. Not if they actually have canker. It is still Metronidazole, and must be given every day for the 7 to 10 days.
I don't know doses for chickens, and I think you should double check on the Fishzole dose before giving. But it isn't difficult to figure it out. The Meditrich is 100 mg of Metro, and the Fishzole is 250 mg of Metro. So if that dosage you have is correct, then it would of course be 2 1/2 pills of the Meditrich. But as I said, you need to first be sure of the dose, and it is for every day, for the 7 to 10 days. Not once.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 27th December 2016, 03:18 AM
Thank you so much, Jay! you are always so helpful! and so knowledgeable too!

I got Meditrich today, and you are right, it does say 1 pill every 30 days for prevention! they should add that to the website that sells it too, so annoying! Do you think it would still cure it if I give the right dose for 7-10 days? or is this medication created for prevention only?

Also as I mentioned on my first post, I only see this chicken 3-4 days a week (she is at the place I work) so there is no way for me to give her the medication for 7-10 days in a row. Do you think it would still work?

Thank you again so much for your help!

Posted 27th December 2016, 06:49 AM
Metronidazole normally works well on canker. Metronidazole is what Meditrich is, so if it is canker then it should work if given the right dose.

This is 5 days past the time you first posted. If you are concerned about this bird, why did you wait the 5 days to check back? Do you have the Meditrich? When a bird has canker, they need treatment as soon as possible. I would make sure of the dose and find someone to give it on the days you are not there.

Why do you think it is canker?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 27th December 2016, 10:41 AM
Ok thank you Jay! I read chicken forums and most people suggested 1 fishzole a day for 5-7 days. She is very skinny so I think I will give her 2 meditrich instead of 2 1/2. Do you think that is ok?

and I am very concerned about the chicken, the reason I waited 5 days is because I didn't have the medication with me. I noticed she was sick on Thursday at 4pm while I was at work, when I got back was when I posted. I couldn't buy the medication on Friday because I had to work and if I had ordered it online, it would have arrived today because of the holidays, so instead I waited to go buy it yesterday (monday) so I could give it to her today. I don't work on Mondays so I haven't seen her since friday.

And I think it's canker because she has lost so much weight, she was molting a couple of months ago so I thought it was due to that, but they on Nov 14 I noticed she had trouble eating but I thought it was because I had fed her some cold food. Again I waited for her to gain weight after molting but nothing. And then last Thursday I saw her looking tired, and again saw the weird movement on her neck when eating. That's when I picked her up and saw inside her mouth and saw the yellow-cheesy stuff in her throat.

Now the weird thing is that on Friday morning I gave her a few drops of acv directly in her mouth, I didn't have anything else so I thought that would at least do something.... I checked her again around 5pm and I couldn't see the cheesy stuff in her throat anymore! so it is very weird!

I read some forums and it turns out wet pox looks similar to canker, so it could be that... but because I am not sure what it is I still want to give her canker medication. Do you think that is ok?!
Posted 27th December 2016, 11:18 AM
who does the chicken belong to? She can't go to a vet?
ACV isn't going to do anything for canker. And you don't give it directly. You put it in the drinking water.
It won't hurt her to be treated for canker, but would be better to be sure of what is wrong with her. She could be getting sicker because she has something that she isn't being treated for. And why can't someone treat her on the days that you are not there?

Posted 27th December 2016, 12:13 PM
She belongs to the people I work for. They don't care about her (or the other chicken), they only want them for the eggs and because they look "cute" in their backyard when they have guests. They will not take her to the vet as it is cheaper just to get a new one and they wont let me take her either (it has happened before). And I cant sneak her out because they have security cameras all around.

Thats the reason I am trying to help her. I am there 3 days a week and there is no one else that will give her the medication on the other days.

I just saw her btw and she's ok! She might not even have canker but I have no idea what it could be! I posted on a chicken forum but I didnt get many replies. She only eats soft food and is very thin so there is definitely something wrong with her.
Posted 27th December 2016, 12:16 PM
And I dont see any stuff in her throat anymore
Posted 27th December 2016, 04:37 PM
Maybe she is having egg laying problems. Chicken will do that as they get older. She probably needs a vet. I hate people like that. They shouldn't have pets.

Posted 27th December 2016, 08:18 PM
She's not that old, she's about a year and half. She did stop laying eggs right when molting started and lost some weight, but the other one did the same so I assume it's normal when they molt. The other one has recovered but this one is still very thin and has problems eating. At first I thought she was too stressed with molting and wasn't hungry because of that, but I have noticed she just can't eat hard stuff. She will eat the soft food that I give her, so now I bring cooked rice, hard boiled egg, etc. and she is eating but makes a weird movement with her neck when she is swallowing, like she has trouble passing the food through it.

Well I gave her her first dose of meditrich today, I won't see her tomorrow but I will give her again on Thursday and Friday. I really don't know what else I can do, I know for sure the owners won't do anything for her and will not let me take her to the vet either.

If you have any other ideas please let me know! Thank you so much!!

Last edited by JennyM; 27th December 2016 at 08:53 PM..
Posted 27th December 2016, 09:03 PM
It must be very frustrating. I hate dealing with people like that. Especially when an animal is involved who is being neglected. Go with the Metro the best you can. I guess there is nothing else you can do. She will need more than 3 treatments though. Try it for the 2 weeks and see how she does. The Metro can make her vomit if not fed first, so try to feed her first. Thanks for trying Jenny.

Posted 7th February 2017, 02:01 AM
Hi Jay,
I just wanted to tell you that the chicken has recovered! a few weeks after the treatment she started to eat her regular food, gained her weight back and just last week, started laying eggs again!

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!
Posted 7th February 2017, 06:37 AM
Oh Jenny, you did good! That chicken is lucky you were around. Thanks for being so caring. And for letting me know how she is doing. Must make you feel really good. It should.