Crow smashed by car need help fast - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
klawfran3 klawfran3 is offline
Posted 29th May 2015, 07:29 PM
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 30

Crow smashed by car need help fast


I got a call from someone down the street that they found a crow that looked like its wing was broken. I grabbed a towel, ran down, cornered it, and wrapped it up. When I got home I gave him a warm water bath to clean everything since there was a lot of blood and after I took him out of the water I rolled him on to his back to examine the wing.
The radius and ulna of the right wing are splintered in a compound fracture.
I applied a veteranary grade coagulant called Kwik-stop to the wound and wrapped him back up.
The bird is near shock just from the stress of everything (he was on his back when I found him) so I left him wrapped up in a dark room to calm down.

This same happened around the same time last year with a juveinile crow with the same injury: when I called animal control they told me that they would just euthanize it. Of course I didn't want that to happen so I took that bird to an avian vet/rehabilitator I was told about by my parrots' vet to which they took in to "help." A follow up call a few days later and I found out the bird was euthanized minutes after I left.

Because of those experiences I know the bird will be immediately euthanized if I take it to an authority and me, being the person who ends up taking in every injured animal I find, don't want to see that happen.

Is there anything else I can do to help it or should I just take it to a vet to be euthanized. I really hate to see animals put down if there's even a chance to save it.

Last edited by klawfran3; 29th May 2015 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 29th May 2015, 08:31 PM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
Thank you so much for trying to help the poor crow! Someone more experienced than me can tell you how to stabilize him and set his wing. I am appalled that rescue centers don't even try and just euthanize most creatures taken in good faith to them. Please try to help him! I love crows. We rehabbed and released one last year. Can you afford the avian vet doing surgery on him? Please let me know how he is doing.
Reply With Quote
klawfran3 klawfran3 is offline
Posted 29th May 2015, 08:51 PM
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Thank you so much for trying to help the poor crow! Someone more experienced than me can tell you how to stabilize him and set his wing. I am appalled that rescue centers don't even try and just euthanize most creatures taken in good faith to them. Please try to help him! I love crows. We rehabbed and released one last year. Can you afford the avian vet doing surgery on him? Please let me know how he is doing.
He has recovered from shock and appears much better. I can't afford the surgery because I am a poor college student.

I'm searching for a good non-kill rehab place that can take him. Anyone know of one near Playa del Rey?

Last edited by klawfran3; 29th May 2015 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
 
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 29th May 2015, 09:48 PM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
Is playa del Rey in California?
Reply With Quote
klawfran3 klawfran3 is offline
Posted 29th May 2015, 10:15 PM
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Is playa del Rey in California?
Yes it is. Los Angeles/ Santa Monica area
Reply With Quote
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 30th May 2015, 11:25 AM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
Suggestbyou try CA Wildlife Center 310 458 9453 or 818 222 2658 although I would make sure they will repair his wing and not euthanize. Another possible resource might be asking Bruce 310 216 6548 for suggestions. People have posted wing repair diagrams for pigeons here, I think it was AndreiS who you might want to send a private message to asking him to send that to you. Crows are tough. Glad to hear he has stabilized. Would feed him mealworms pieces, cut up tomato, strawberry, and grape pieces, raw hamburger, and soaked dry cat food if he is hungry.
Reply With Quote
klawfran3 klawfran3 is offline
Posted 30th May 2015, 08:33 PM
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Suggestbyou try CA Wildlife Center 310 458 9453 or 818 222 2658 although I would make sure they will repair his wing and not euthanize. Another possible resource might be asking Bruce 310 216 6548 for suggestions. People have posted wing repair diagrams for pigeons here, I think it was AndreiS who you might want to send a private message to asking him to send that to you. Crows are tough. Glad to hear he has stabilized. Would feed him mealworms pieces, cut up tomato, strawberry, and grape pieces, raw hamburger, and soaked dry cat food if he is hungry.
Thank you so much for your help. I will try calling and see if they can fix his wing, and hopefully I can find someone to do it if they can't. He seems to be acting much better and is defecating non-watery stool so I know he is at least not under a lot of stress anymore.
Reply With Quote
Jay3's Avatar
Jay3 Jay3 is offline
Posted 30th May 2015, 10:20 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 29,811
Wrapping a broken wing is difficult. Even with a vet doing it, there is no guarantee that it will heal well enough for him to fly well. That is why these places euthanize them. They can't keep them. They must help them and then release them. So a wing break is often something that will prevent them from ever being able to be released. But if it is going to be done, it must be done ASAP for the bird to have any chance to heal well, as their bones mend quickly. A vet can take an x-ray to see the whole break and exactly where, and what it needs.
__________________

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Reply With Quote
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 11:04 AM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
If you are able to get the crows wing fixed, if he cannot fly, you might want to look for a bird rescue or zoo that will keep him long term, if you don't want to keep him. Don't know if there are any educational organizations near you like Zoo to You, [email protected]. They take in nonreleasable animals and show them to classrooms to educate kids about how special wildlife are. You might want to ask about places near you that fix up and provide a home for nonreleasable crows and let them know how special your crow is.

Last edited by cwebster; 31st May 2015 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
klawfran3 klawfran3 is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 11:39 AM
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 30
So far I have spent the whole morning calling rescues to find someone to take him in, but they either won't take it in or I keep having to leave messages. I'm beginning to think the best option is to just turn it in to F&WL services or Animal control because I can't seem to find someone.

__ EDIT__

I just sent an email to Caikeepers.

Last edited by klawfran3; 31st May 2015 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 11:53 AM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
sorry it is so hard finding a place for him. hope you will try during the week because a lot of places are closed during the weekends. if you turn him in to fish and game or animal control, they will euthanize him immediately. how is he doing? wish I were closer. I am about 6 or 7 hours from you I think. also I sent a message to AndreiS who posted diagrams recently I bellieve about how to fix wings that may help you. suggest you call places tomorrow if the bird is still stable, and eating and drinking. I know it is hard because the last time I took birds to Pacific Wildlife near me, found out they only euthanize them right after you turn them in. They only help certain species, not pigeons, crows, etc. So now I try to fix them myself and then release them or find them a more permanent home. You might want to call Zoo To You tomorrow (they are on the web) and see if they can recommend a more permanent home for the crow. They are in Paso Robles which is near me but may have suggestions for you on how to find a permanent home for a possibly nonreleasable crow. Finding a home takes time. Crows are very intelligent and very special. Let me know what happens.
Reply With Quote
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 12:40 PM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
Possible lists of rehabilitators are at ccwr.org, California council of wildlife rehabilitators. I think region 5 is your area. Also wildliferehabinfo.org has a list of resources. All wildlife rescue and education is a possibility, 562 434 0141. It is frustrating making lots of calls but you only need to find one lead. Ask everyone if there is a vet near you who is sympathetic to birds and might be willing to fix the bird up if you will find it a home. We got our pigeon after intook her to a vet recommended by a wildlife place. The bird had a broken wing and was nearly decapitated. She is 8 years old now and doing fine, just doesn't fly. Someone somewhere might love to have a crow for educational purposes, and willing to provide a home in order to tour classrooms to educate kids. That is what Zoo to You does for example.
Reply With Quote
AndreiS AndreiS is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 12:44 PM
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,494
Here is an illustrated guide teaching you how to imobilize the fractured limb, function of the bone that was broken. Is very practical, as almost each bone of bird's body needs a different type of banding:

http://theiwrc.org/wp-content/upload...anual_2010.pdf


It was not a good idea to wash the entire bird, this can take down the entire body energy pretty fast, especially at a bird in shock, stressed, weak or ill.




You need to do urgently these things in order to save the bird not only from losing flying capacity, but from losing life:

- You have to feed the bird consistently in order to mantain energy and reduce the effect of germs and medicine toxicity. Best food in such situation is light and soft one, slighly warmed strawberries, eventually crushed between your fingers or other fruits from Fragaria genre, like blackberries etc. the food would ideally be slightly warmed or at least at room temperature. Do this each time the crop gets empty, by giving as much fooid as represent a filling for most crop0, but not overloaded, it must not pressure on crop's walls. Don't give crow water, he/she takes it from food. Also some Kaytee, a thicker formula, may be a good idea, also slightly warm.

- the bird needs urgent, preferable injectable antibiotic treament. Lincospectin is the best choice, if not available, then Enroflixacine. Give one injection / day for three days. During this time give the bird B vitamins, hepatoprotective supplement and calcium+ D3 vitamin. Any fracture has a high potential of infection with bacteria. If skin is broken somewhere, apply an antibiotic ointment everyday, until the wound dries out.

- Check the bird for ticks. Ticks carry a bacteria that generates a deadly disease for crows. If you find ticks, kill them following the procedures indicated for human-ticks.


Keep the bird in a large box, ideally on an electric pad at lowest level of heat
Reply With Quote
cwebster's Avatar
cwebster cwebster is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 12:52 PM
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 6,288
AndreS, thank you for posting the awesome link on fixing bird fractures!
Reply With Quote
klawfran3 klawfran3 is offline
Posted 31st May 2015, 02:03 PM
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Possible lists of rehabilitators are at ccwr.org, California council of wildlife rehabilitators. I think region 5 is your area. Also wildliferehabinfo.org has a list of resources. All wildlife rescue and education is a possibility, 562 434 0141. It is frustrating making lots of calls but you only need to find one lead. Ask everyone if there is a vet near you who is sympathetic to birds and might be willing to fix the bird up if you will find it a home. We got our pigeon after intook her to a vet recommended by a wildlife place. The bird had a broken wing and was nearly decapitated. She is 8 years old now and doing fine, just doesn't fly. Someone somewhere might love to have a crow for educational purposes, and willing to provide a home in order to tour classrooms to educate kids. That is what Zoo to You does for example.
I've tried the All wildlife rescue and I believe they referred me to another center who referred me to someone else etc. etc.

After spending nearly four+ hours on the phone this morning and coming up with nothing, I've basically lost hope. Most areas will accept everything BUT corvids, and the only owl-corvid specialty rescue I found has a broken number and was a three hour drive away, so no contact from them either.

The Zoo to you Los Angeles is too far for me to drive to also, so it is too out of the question.

I was directed by a few local vets to pass it on to the West LA animal shelter. I guess that's what I'm going to have to do at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiS View Post
Here is an illustrated guide teaching you how to imobilize the fractured limb, function of the bone that was broken. Is very practical, as almost each bone of bird's body needs a different type of banding:

http://theiwrc.org/wp-content/upload...anual_2010.pdf


It was not a good idea to wash the entire bird, this can take down the entire body energy pretty fast, especially at a bird in shock, stressed, weak or ill.




You need to do urgently these things in order to save the bird not only from losing flying capacity, but from losing life:

- You have to feed the bird consistently in order to mantain energy and reduce the effect of germs and medicine toxicity. Best food in such situation is light and soft one, slighly warmed strawberries, eventually crushed between your fingers or other fruits from Fragaria genre, like blackberries etc. the food would ideally be slightly warmed or at least at room temperature. Do this each time the crop gets empty, by giving as much fooid as represent a filling for most crop0, but not overloaded, it must not pressure on crop's walls. Don't give crow water, he/she takes it from food. Also some Kaytee, a thicker formula, may be a good idea, also slightly warm.

- the bird needs urgent, preferable injectable antibiotic treament. Lincospectin is the best choice, if not available, then Enroflixacine. Give one injection / day for three days. During this time give the bird B vitamins, hepatoprotective supplement and calcium+ D3 vitamin. Any fracture has a high potential of infection with bacteria. If skin is broken somewhere, apply an antibiotic ointment everyday, until the wound dries out.

- Check the bird for ticks. Ticks carry a bacteria that generates a deadly disease for crows. If you find ticks, kill them following the procedures indicated for human-ticks.


Keep the bird in a large box, ideally on an electric pad at lowest level of heat
Thank you for posting this extremely helpful link and everything. I am bookmarking it for future use.

I am sorry to say though that I am not physically able to devote enough time and resources to the proper husbandry of the crow though. This is why I had spent the past day searching for a rescue in my area.

Last edited by klawfran3; 31st May 2015 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broken wing, crow, emergency, injured, vet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2000-2016 pigeons.biz