Crow With Injured Wing - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 13th August 2014, 06:43 PM

Crow With Injured Wing

Hi,

I came across a crow with what looked like an injured wing and no ability to fly. The crow was trying to cross the street but had to run back when cars came. When I approached (very carefully, from the direction of the street) the crow ran away from me. We ran down a block until the crow hopped up into a tree.

I've been trying to call around to see what can be done for this crow. In the mean time the crow was able to fly across the street from the tree that she ran up into a significantly higher tree.

Does anyone know if this means that the crow is going to be OK? Should I still try to catch her? The options for treatment, rehab, and housing do not seem great. I don't have a rehab license, and it looks like the only options for us if she can't fly would be to try to find a sanctuary who can take her. I know that our local rehabbers won't take a bird who can't be released (except to euthanize).

As such, I'm leaning towards thinking that I should not make any further efforts to capture this crow and hope that she's going to be OK without treatment (I was told by our vet emergency that it could have been soft tissue damage from a window strike). But I'd very much appreciate any advice that others might have.

Thanks very much,
Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th August 2014, 06:19 AM
If she was able to fly to another tree I would think she should be ok
Posted 14th August 2014, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Nye View Post
Hi,

I came across a crow with what looked like an injured wing and no ability to fly. The crow was trying to cross the street but had to run back when cars came. When I approached (very carefully, from the direction of the street) the crow ran away from me. We ran down a block until the crow hopped up into a tree.

I've been trying to call around to see what can be done for this crow. In the mean time the crow was able to fly across the street from the tree that she ran up into a significantly higher tree.

Does anyone know if this means that the crow is going to be OK? Should I still try to catch her? The options for treatment, rehab, and housing do not seem great. I don't have a rehab license, and it looks like the only options for us if she can't fly would be to try to find a sanctuary who can take her. I know that our local rehabbers won't take a bird who can't be released (except to euthanize).

As such, I'm leaning towards thinking that I should not make any further efforts to capture this crow and hope that she's going to be OK without treatment (I was told by our vet emergency that it could have been soft tissue damage from a window strike). But I'd very much appreciate any advice that others might have.

Thanks very much,
Howard
hopefully his family group will look after him. they are pretty darn smart. they are not protected so calling the wildlife game department may be a loss as they could probably dispatch it if it was not flying well.

Tags
crow, injured wing, non-treatment, some flying ability, treatment