Duck! Help please! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 6th May 2011, 08:12 AM
Exclamation

Duck! Help please!

Ok here's the deal, in the middle of a walmart parking lot a mother mallard decided to lay here nest. Myself and a wild life reber are trying to move her and her eggs 12 in all to a safe place, a pond. What is the best way to go about doing this as to not cause harm to her or her eggs? We would like for her to keep her and her eggs together, we do not want her to reject them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 6th May 2011, 08:28 AM
i move chickens all the time when they are on a nest, i do it at night in total darkness so when the morning comes she's like wow i've been here all the time, i don't think that will work for a wild duck, plus you have to consider she has a mate, i'd let her alone when they hatch she'll know what to do, she'll take the babies to a safe place afterwards, she'll literally stop traffic, she obviously feels safe there away from predators
Posted 6th May 2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessitwings View Post
Ok here's the deal, in the middle of a walmart parking lot a mother mallard decided to lay here nest. Myself and a wild life reber are trying to move her and her eggs 12 in all to a safe place, a pond. What is the best way to go about doing this as to not cause harm to her or her eggs? We would like for her to keep her and her eggs together, we do not want her to reject them.
Im assuming the rehabber was educated to get her license.. did they not cover some of this in her classes?.. Im not trying to be smart A..really.. I was wondering what is coverd.. I'am kind of wondering why they make folks get the licenses to begin with, if they do not help them know what to do..

the above advice sounds like your only option.. but with wild birds it is hard to tell.. my husband saved some duck's eggs at a contruction site.. the nest was going to be destroyed..so he brought the eggs home and put them under our broody hen.. they hatched in about 7 days..that hen was so proud of those ducklings..lol... if all does not go well..perhaps someone you know has some chickens sitting.. just an idea..

Tags
duck babies, duck eggs, duck nest