Fieldfare can't get rid of candida - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 25th September 2013, 12:25 AM

Fieldfare can't get rid of candida

I have a fieldfare for 2-3 months (he is that age, I got him at few days age) and no matter how long I'm treating him with nystatin, the candida he has doesn't go away.

I know is candida because of lab tests. He has a small blister-like ulceration on the tongue. When I treated him in the past, the ulceration dissapeared, but now, after eating lot of grapes (he likes it very much), appeared again. Doctor said that a stronger medicine could affect or even kill him.

I know candidiasis is fatal, I had a magpie killed by it before but if I'm treating the fieldfare with nystatin for too long, could this be damageful?

Any idea what can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st October 2013, 10:22 AM
A thrush with thrush?

Nystatin is very safe but yeast are more likely to develop resistance to it than "stronger" anti-fungal drugs.

One option is Megabac-S, a water-soluble form of amphotericin B that can be put in the drinking water. Regular amphotericin B requires you to force feed them everyday. It's also very safe because, like nystatin, it's poorly absorbed so very little ends up in the bloodstream. When put in the mouth it will stay in the digestive tract the whole time. The downside is that Megabac-S is expensive and hard to obtain. Amphotericin B has a bad reputation due to side-effects when used intravenously.

I have also used itraconazole with Turdus. I carefully weighed out small amounts with an analytical balance. There were no side-effects for the two weeks that I used it. It's fairly safe if used cautiously. Birds are given systemic anti-fungals such as itraconazole, vorioconazole, lamisil, all the time for aspergillosis.

An unconventional option is sodium benzoate which has recently been used in budgerigars for treating Macrorhabdus ornithogaster (aka avian gastric yeast or megabacteria). One or two papers were published about this and some veterinarians have already begun prescribing this treatment. Its advantages are that it's very inexpensive and can be put in the drinking water.
Posted 1st October 2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdus View Post
A thrush with thrush?

Nystatin is very safe but yeast are more likely to develop resistance to it than "stronger" anti-fungal drugs.

One option is Megabac-S, a water-soluble form of amphotericin B that can be put in the drinking water. Regular amphotericin B requires you to force feed them everyday. It's also very safe because, like nystatin, it's poorly absorbed so very little ends up in the bloodstream. When put in the mouth it will stay in the digestive tract the whole time. The downside is that Megabac-S is expensive and hard to obtain. Amphotericin B has a bad reputation due to side-effects when used intravenously.

I have also used itraconazole with Turdus. I carefully weighed out small amounts with an analytical balance. There were no side-effects for the two weeks that I used it. It's fairly safe if used cautiously. Birds are given systemic anti-fungals such as itraconazole, vorioconazole, lamisil, all the time for aspergillosis.

An unconventional option is sodium benzoate which has recently been used in budgerigars for treating Macrorhabdus ornithogaster (aka avian gastric yeast or megabacteria). One or two papers were published about this and some veterinarians have already begun prescribing this treatment. Its advantages are that it's very inexpensive and can be put in the drinking water.
Thank you for the very informative and useful answer. I will read it again later and see if those drugs are found in Romania.

Posted 3rd October 2013, 01:49 AM
Quote:
A thrush with thrush?

Can you tell me the approximative dose of Amphotericin and itraconazole for a 30 gr bird?
Posted 3rd October 2013, 10:04 PM
For itraconazole, a range of 5-20 mg/kg once a day is recommended. I used 10-15 mg/kg.

I used Megabac-S which has different dosage recommendations than regular amphotericin B. Regular amphotericin B is dosed at around 100 mg/kg by mouth per day.
Posted 3rd October 2013, 11:14 PM
Quote:
For itraconazole, a range of 5-20 mg/kg once a day is recommended. I used 10-15 mg/kg.

I used Megabac-S which has different dosage recommendations than regular amphotericin B. Regular amphotericin B is dosed at around 100 mg/kg by mouth per day.
Thank you much for your valuable help!

Btw, I later figured out that is not a fieldfare but starling.

Tags
candidiasis, candidoza, nistatina, nystatin, sturz