Found a baby sparrow - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 8th July 2011, 07:03 AM
Another link with information: http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm

Karyn[/QUOTE]

Karyn, I looked on the site that you gave me, is very good and informative. There is a picture of a baby sparrow that open a big mouth for food. He does not open a big mouth like that, just very little, he ate very few small pieces of grapes and does not want anything, I'll try later.
I think I will prepare the recipe that I saw it there on site and I will include sardines and I'll try with that.

Thanks,

Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th July 2011, 07:43 AM
Dana, glad he ate a few pieces of grapes, as this will give him some fluids and fruit sugar for energy, fluids are important, so do make sure he does get more grapes. Yes, try the recipe and keep at it, please keep us updated and maybe one of the wild bird rehabbers will see this thread and offer a few suggestions.

Karyn
Posted 8th July 2011, 02:12 PM
Hi Dana,

Food pieces need to be small of course...small pieces of Grape, ripe Cherry, ripe Pear and so on, crush the small piece between finger tips before feeding.

If he has been 'Peeping' he or she is calling their parents..or asking of them where their location is.

This Sparrow would not be in a Nest at this age, and, would be getting fed on low branches of on the ground.

I just have them on a Towel on my Lap, and I have a small Saucer of prepared Food items in front of the youngster.

At his age, they are about ready to be self feeding, and, it helps for them to see the food items they are being fed, where, they soon elect to simply reach over and peck them themself.

For now, if he wil Gape even a little, or if he will take a bit of food from your finger tip, it is a good beginning, and, will likely improve with success of getting little food bites in to his Beak.

At some point of development, they really do not Gape anymore anyway, but, instead, merely take the food from their parent or care giver.

Water Pack Sardines, not 'Oil'...and the smaller the Sardines, the better, so, two layer at least.

Keep hands below his eye level when trying to feed or offer food.

You can make a 'chirp' which is like the chirp which Baby Sparrows make when they are asking to be fed, and, this will suggest to him the possibilities of the situation for his getting fed, were he to ask.

Pretend to be eating food bites yourself, so he can see this...exhagerate how good they taste and so on, and, then, offer some to him.

Like that...

Good luck!

Phil
Las Vegas

Last edited by pdpbison; 8th July 2011 at 02:14 PM..

Posted 9th July 2011, 12:18 AM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for good advices!

You say that this sparrow would not be in the nest at this age, but he does not know how to fly yet.
To me he seems small compared with other sparrow chicks/babies that I see at my window. I see many sparrows that come to eat with my pigeons and the parents eat whole grains and then put in the mouth of chicken/babies who staying near parents with open mouth. Even if they left the nest and they fly, I noticed that babies are held by parents and are still fed by parents.

Anyway, Cipy began to open his mouth when see food, I'll call him Cipy. He ate little pieces of sardines, cherries, grapes. Seems that slowly start to get used to the new situation.

Actually the sardines we bought yesterday I thought I was in oil but are in the water. When I opened the tin I noticed that there are in water, but it was better.

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 9th July 2011 at 02:44 AM..
Posted 9th July 2011, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturescu View Post
Hi Phil,

Thanks for good advices!

You say that this sparrow would not be in the nest at this age, but he does not know how to fly yet.
To me he seems small compared with other sparrow chicks/babies that I see at my window. I see many sparrows that come to eat with my pigeons and the parents eat whole grains and then put in the mouth of chicken/babies who staying near parents with open mouth. Even if they left the nest and they fly, I noticed that babies are held by parents and are still fed by parents.

Anyway, Cipy began to open his mouth when see food, I'll call him Cipy. He ate little pieces of sardines, cherries, grapes. Seems that slowly start to get used to the new situation.

Actually the sardines we bought yesterday I thought I was in oil but are in the water. When I opened the tin I noticed that there are in water, but it was better.

Dana
Dana, this is a relief to hear you are making progress with Cipy and he is finally eating, I was really hoping this is what you would post today .

Sometimes, with fledging birds, there is a short period of time between leaving the nest and being fully able to fly, that they spend their time on the ground and in the low branches of bushes and trees, where the parents come back and feed them there. This is only for a few days until they are fully able to fly to go with their parents learning to hunt and eat on their own.

Good job,

Karyn
Posted 10th July 2011, 01:23 AM
Little Sparrows such as yours soon figure out the connection between the food pieces you are feeding them, and, how they can also peck them themselves...so, having the little Saucer of food pieces right there in front of him or her, is the way to go.

I usually arrange the bits of ripe Fruits and Fish, and, also a little pile of Chlorella ( bright green powder rich in nutrients and in Chlorophyll - get at any Health Food Store) and a splotch of fresh Olive Oil...and, I dab the bite of food into the Olive Oil, then, into the Chlorella Powder, and, then feed it to the Baby or Youngster.

If you pretend to eat the little food bites also ( of course do not actually get any saliva on the food, but, just sort of hold it up to your mouth enough to be convincing and be saying "Oh yum, this is good!" and stuff like that, the youngster also will start to get the connection, and, wish to peck the food bite from your finger tip, and, soon, from the Saucer of prepared food bites itself.
Posted 10th July 2011, 05:21 AM
OK, thanks Phil, I'll do everything I can to help him as well. Cipy began to eat better and when he see that I come at him with food he begins to bounce. Cipy understand that I come to feed it. I made a meal of boiled egg, sardines, apples, a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
I made a small video, is not very good quality but you can see somewhat how he eats and how I cheep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u54npoee98

My husband says that soon I will grow wings and I'll fly with the birds.

Dana
Posted 10th July 2011, 12:35 PM
Looks like things are going well then!

Post some close up images of his/her freshest poops?

Have the prepared food bits on a Saucer...have the Sparrow on a Towel on your Lap as you sit, and, have the Saucer right in front of them, as you feed.

This will allow them more opportunity to see the food bits as something conceptually seperate from the feeding gesture, and to feel an interest in starting to peck them directly.
Posted 10th July 2011, 12:48 PM
Dana, you are doing a wonderful job, with Cipy , from the look of things. Phil has made a number of good mentions that should help as well. Not sure how close we are, Phil may have a better idea, but it won't be long before he takes off in flight, so be prepared for this, watch for open windows/doors.

Karyn
Posted 10th July 2011, 01:05 PM
Yes I will follow Phil's advices and I'll post some pictures with freshest poops tomorrow morning, now is very late here.

Yes would be good to know how long it is until Cipy will start to fly, maybe you know Phil.

Thank you,

Dana
Posted 10th July 2011, 05:10 PM
They just start flying at some point, Lol...and, so, of course, you have to make sure things around the House are safe for this, and, let them do it at least a few hours a day.

After a while, no matter how Lovey-Dovey and sweet and cuddley they may be, their natural development is toward independence and self posession, and, with Sparrows this transition is usually quite clear and firmly shown - to wit: They soon want nothing more to do with you! Lol...and, you can see them to have a look of haughty distain toward any interest you may show them.

By this time, if all has gone well, the youngster has been self feeding for some weeks, and, is also showing his or her facility for sighting and catching Bugs around the House...as well as for pecking Seeds or other Foods

So, that phase then - one lets them go out and fly around outdoors, on their own discretion...one decides a dedicated Window for example, which one leaves open for them to leave out of and fly back in through.

The youngster does this usually then for another week or two, flies out for a while, flies back in later by dusk.

Once he or she feels satisfied with their explorations, and, has found areas they feel are amenible or welcoming, which have other Sparrows whom they have been associating with, they fly out finally and remain out thereafter, and, thus, have begin their Wild Life on a good footing.

So, expect these developments...encourage self feeding now...and, prepare for the phase of their being able to come and go via a stable dedicated Window.

The Window may be closed of course once they are back in, and or even while they are out, but it must be made to offer no confusion as for whether it is open or closed - so the Glass maybe needs to have paper Towels glued on to it for the time being using a little Syrup or whatever, so the Bird will not accidently fly into the Glass.

They will watch from a distance if ready to come back in, for one to open the Window or Door they know to be the one they use...they are very smart that way.

Phil
Lv

Last edited by pdpbison; 10th July 2011 at 05:26 PM..
Posted 11th July 2011, 06:51 AM
Well, I'm used to take care that the windows are closed, this is not a problem, especially now that we have Coko and most of the time is free in the house.

Most of the time we keep Cipy at the window (see in the pictures) and he see other sparrows that come to drink or eat and then Cipy begins to bounce and make noise. Is very lively, he cleans his feathers and spreads its wings as birds.

I did not managed to take too good pictures to poops. He does not do the poops in the middle where he stands, he always do on edge of plastic box.

The last picture I posted is with the area in front of my window to make your idea. There are many birds in the area in the trees that you see, are pigeons, sparrows, magpies, crows, cop, doves, woodpeckers...wide range of birds'

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 23rd July 2011 at 03:55 AM..
Posted 11th July 2011, 09:49 PM
Hi V,

Very nice...

Yes, his being able to see out doors and see the other Birds is excellent, and is as it would be in Nature.

You will be able to tell when he wants to go join them in experimental forays...he will 'pace' at the Window.

Poops look good..!

Do see if you can include the fresh Olive Oil to dab his food bites into s you feed...it is very good for them and worth doing.

If you can get fresh Cilantro, or some soft Parselery kind, tear or cut with Scissors into very tiny bits and include this also in his meals - they need sources of fresh Chlorophyl.

Best wishes!

Phil
lv
Posted 12th July 2011, 02:20 AM
Hi Phil,

I have already included fresh Olive Oil and today I'll look to buy fresh Cilantro.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for help Phil,

Dana
Posted 13th July 2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Phil,

You have to see Cipy as it is active, he has a lot of energy this little guy!!! I let him sit over the window with protective screen shot and is very happy to hear birds chirping and see other sparrows that come to the window.

Phil, when you think that Cipy should learn to drink water alone? And how to do it to learn him that?

Here is a short video with Cipy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxNeQK2JNQ

Dana

Tags
baby sparrow found