Found a baby sparrow - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 17th July 2011, 06:44 AM
Hi there, guys,

Yesterday late afternoon, I found a fledgling house sparrow in the middle of a cat-ridden, busy street. Although there was a tree nearby, there were no visible nests, and it is a horrible place for a little guy to learn to fly. We also had a horrific hailstorm a few days ago, and I suspect that if my little guy was in that, any nest he would have been in is completely gone. My area does not have any vet/rehab centers open over the weekend, so I definitely have him at least until Monday morning.

He seems uninjured aside from a little bit of patchy feathers that seems to be the result of mites, but he is not gaping at all and I do not think he has eaten at all since I found him. He is also extremely sluggish, and wants to nap with his head curled over his shoulder all of the time. It is possible he is just tired from a long ordeal in very hot weather, but I am getting worried about the little guy. I have tried feeding him sliced grapes, soaked dog-food, and mealworms. I am also starting to become very concerned about dehydration, especially since the hailstorm was a few days ago, and if he was separated from his family at that point, he might not have had much to drink for a few days. He has access to a little dish for water.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th July 2011, 07:06 AM
Hi Passer,

You can look from the beginning on my thread, you have posted here, and here you will find everything you need to know how to care for him http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f30/fo...row-54299.html
I think it will be helpful for you because it's the same situation with a baby sparrow found. If you want you can post a picture of baby sparrow and a picture of his poops to figure out if it is healthy.

Good luck,

Dana
Posted 17th July 2011, 07:18 AM
Dana,

Mine has a few less feathers than yours did in the first picture. I'm mostly worried because he isn't eating or drinking willingly right now, and I'm very hesitant to over-encourage him. He only had one poo that was a very solidified little half white/half dark green bulb.

Posted 17th July 2011, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passer 25 View Post
Dana,

Mine has a few less feathers than yours did in the first picture. I'm mostly worried because he isn't eating or drinking willingly right now, and I'm very hesitant to over-encourage him. He only had one poo that was a very solidified little half white/half dark green bulb.
Passer, sounds like he needs some fluids, I would be trying first with small, 1/2 pea size pieces of fresh, juicy grapes (room temperature or very slightly warm), keep tapping his beak with them with tweezers, you can also try small pieces of water soaked, whole wheat bread (lightly touched to a Kleenex, so the pieces is not dripping water, but still real moist). He probably is in a bit of shock from his new situation and needs a bit of time to adjust . But but the very solid poo indicated he needs fluids, so at some point in the next hours you may have to find some help, if he continues to refuse the food/hydration, of someone with steady hands and to gently open his beak, while you could drop in the pieces of grape/and soaked bread, to give him time to stabilize and adjust. Then just follow the thread what for Dana did to get her's going, it took a bit but Cipy got there.

Good luck,

Karyn
Posted 17th July 2011, 07:42 AM
I think he needs some time to understand what is happening with him. My baby sparrow began to eat well only after two days, at first did not want to eat but when he was hungry and knew that I give him the food began to open his mouth. Try giving him small pieces of grapes, cherries to hydrate him and give him energy.
You will not try and give this little sparrow water, he will get fluids from the foods you feed him.

Here is anothe link with informations, please read: http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm

Dana
Posted 17th July 2011, 08:02 AM
Karyn, thanks for intervention.

I think I should do an update on the condition of Cipy.

He began to eat and drink yourself alone. The only problem is he does not want to eat sardines, he dislikes. Otherwise eat well. Few days ago he jumped in the Kimy's plate with seeds and started to pick small pieces of wheat and rice and eat them.

Cipy even has a new home. Our neighbor who recently died her parrot has donated to us the cage you see in the picture. I feel sorry for her parrot and the cage is very welcome for the birds we have in care.

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 23rd July 2011 at 03:55 AM..
Posted 19th July 2011, 06:16 AM
I do not know how to begin to tell you about this tragedy. This morning when we woke up found Cipy dead in his cage.

We were all shocked and do not understand why this happened with my little Cipy. I try to think what was wrong with him in the last days but I can not figure it out.
He eat well all the time, began to drink water alone, the only thing different is that he was not so excited when he sees other sparrows and was a little quiet, as before. But I thought it was more common with us and is not very interest of life on the outside.

Maybe that was a sign that does Cipy not feel well?

I feel terrible that this happened, he was our precious little sweet heart. We all cry Cipyís death especially my daughter Sarah who found this little sparrow and felt so happy that she saved this birdís life.

If someone would ask me what I hate more I would certainly say that I hate those moments, are the most painful and you feel so bad and you think that maybe you have not done something right. This was supposed to be a happy day for me but unfortunately had to be the saddest and I will never forget this day he died because today is my birthday.

Rest in peace my little sweet Cipy!!!

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 23rd July 2011 at 03:55 AM..
Posted 19th July 2011, 06:48 AM
Oh Dana, this is just heartbreaking news, you did so well for this little guy, it must be a very sad time at you home indeed, I just don't what to say. I was thinking yesterday it won't be too long before Cipy will be ready for release and now this, I am so very sorry. I am not sure what could have caused this sudden decline and death, perhaps Phil or Pidgey will see this thread and have a thought on this. Please accept my sincerest condolences for your family's loss.

Karyn
Posted 19th July 2011, 02:27 PM
I would first like to express my sincerest regrets that Cipy passed. I found this thread today, since I was looking for tips on looking after baby sparrows, and I followed your story closely.

I too, have found a young sparrow, and I'm looking to keep it in good health until it's good to fly off. I'm an 18 year old guy living in the UK, so my time-zone is different (it's 9:15pm at time of writing), so I don't know when I'll get a reply to this post. I think that s/he's asleep, so I don't want to wake him/her (henceforth assumed to be a male, name - Jack (Captain Jack Sparrow!)).

I followed some advice on soaking dog biscuits in water and trying to pipette the mixture into his mouth, but it seems like he's getting more water than substance. The biscuits seem to be good quality (37% Protein, if I remember correctly, and 1.2% Calcium as well as some other things).

But I really don't know how much to feed him - I offered him a cut up worm, and he ate some, but didn't seem to be too good at getting it down his throat :S

He is fully feathered except for when he cranes his neck I can see pink skin around his neck, but is very small, and does not open his eyes much. He was able to grip onto my finger, and has jumped (with flapping) from my hand to my knee as I was sitting. He seems very brave and unafraid, but I can't figure out why he won't eat much...

Any help would be great, because there's a vet coming on Friday to check on one of my horses, but I'll probably ask her to have a look at him. He just needs to survive that long.
Posted 20th July 2011, 10:00 AM
I would be much more inclined to use the food formula from the Starling-Talk link posted earlier, here it is again, http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm. than the soaked dog biscuits. If you can not get meal worms from a pet store, then I would forgo trying to feed him worms at all, stick with the mixed food. As to how much to feed him, in the Staring-Talk link it says to feed them as much as they want, until you see they no longer are actively gapping for more food. Do have a read of the link as the people at Starling-Talk are pretty well informed.

Good luck,

Karyn
Posted 21st July 2011, 12:39 AM
Hi Vulturescu,

I am so sorry.

You were doing a splendid job!

What I have seen in my own experience, is that true 'Babys', as when I used to get in ten or fifteen of them sometimes in a single day or couple days...used to have Baskets of them in the Kitchen, endless feedings! I never had any problems. Everyone would grow up perfectly, and, self release in increments and with style.

But, when I would get in Single Juvenile Sparrows, I have had them perish at least half the time, and I had no idea why, all seemed to have gone well, eating well, pooping well, enthusiasm for Chow Times, accepting of their 'adoption' and of my attentions, and, I wake up in the morning, and, they have died.

My guess is that sometimes they have or somehow may contract a Bacterial illness which is slowly gaining on them, and, at some point, it overcomes them, but, they do not show signs like Pigeons do, so, one has no way to have guessed.

About all one might observe, is they seemed a little sleepy or less energetic in the hours before.

The little Song Birds in general are so frail and can go from 'everything seems fine', to stone cold dead, in no time, there is just so little leeway to even notice anything is going awry, let alone, to know what it is, to decide what regimen or medicines to elect.

They are very difficult.

I understand from professional rehabbers that their success rate with Sparrows or other Song Birds is quite low.

It is just that way.

You gave it a good try...no fault to be found there.

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 21st July 2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobato View Post
I would be much more inclined to use the food formula from the Starling-Talk link posted earlier, here it is again, http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm. than the soaked dog biscuits. If you can not get meal worms from a pet store, then I would forgo trying to feed him worms at all, stick with the mixed food. As to how much to feed him, in the Staring-Talk link it says to feed them as much as they want, until you see they no longer are actively gapping for more food. Do have a read of the link as the people at Starling-Talk are pretty well informed.

Good luck,

Karyn

Like I said, he really was just refusing to eat. Every 45 minutes I would try to feed him the dog biscuit and water mix, with little effect. He lasted through the night, but the next morning he was very inactive, breathing shallowly and not looking healthy. Completely refusing to take any food or water, he did not make it to midday.

I'm sad that I couldn't have done anything for him, but with the resources I had available I think I did my best. He simply didn't once gape for food...

Thanks for the help anyway - maybe next time I'll do better...
Posted 21st July 2011, 12:26 PM
Jack S., I am truly sorry for your little sparrow.

Phil is right that really is more complicated with the sparrows than with the pigeons. I just could not realize that something is wrong with him. With pigeons, I immediately realize if there is any problem and is much easier to work with them than with sparrows.

Thanks for all the help,

Dana
Posted 23rd July 2017, 10:11 AM
Question

hello

Hi so i took in a baby sparrow last night he aprars to have a broken foot and ive been looking up how to feed him he dosent open his mouth on his own to eat i mixed up some insect food tht is normaly for bearded dragons with a tiny bit of calcium powder and egg yolk he's currently inside of a box with a heating pad underneath the towels i put inside i was wondering if anyone could possibly help with information to help this little guy he seems to be doing ok since hes nice and warm now
Posted 23rd July 2017, 12:16 PM
This is an old thread, but earlier in this thread they gave a link where they needed help for a house sparrow. Maybe it will help you also. Please go to this link for information.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f30/fo...row-54299.html

There is more info on Starling Talk, with a good food formula to give to him. Here is the link.
http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
baby sparrow found