Found a baby sparrow - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 7th July 2011, 12:48 PM

Found a baby sparrow

Hi,

My daughter brought me home a baby sparrow, is not hurt, seems to be healthy and I think he fell from the nest.

Please, maybe someone knows how to take care of a baby sparrow. I do not know what food to give him and how to give him water to drink. He should be kept in a warm place?
He seems angry and scared, he looked at me and is afraid of my hand.

Thanks,

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 23rd July 2011 at 03:55 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th July 2011, 01:02 PM
Dana, this is a cute little fellow, I can see your daughter is going to take after her mother .

The care of sparrows, and other birds that gape, open their mouth to be fed, is a good deal different from looking after pigeons. You will not try and give this little guy water, he will get fluids from the foods you feed him.

For now, you can give it small pieces of grapes and small pieces of sardines using a pair of tweezers when it opens it mouth, about the size of 1/2 a pea for right now, to get it to open its mouth you would very lightly tap/touch its beak with the food. For now these two foods will give him juice for hydration, as well as carbohydrates and protein.

You can roll a face cloth into a small "donut" to make a bit of a nest for him and keep him in a smaller box for now, you can drape a piece of cloth over the top to let in light. You can also cut of a 25x25cm (10x10") square hole and cover with window screen if you have some around, use duct tape to secure. Do not use the larger screen like you use for pigeons as he could get caught and injured in this. If you have no screen you can use some plastic wrap to cover the hole and cut a few 1cm (1/2") stripe holes around the top of the box to let in air and even more light.

Others may post, but I will see if I can find you a few links on looking after these kind of birds

Good luck,

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 7th July 2011 at 01:06 PM..
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:14 PM
Well, right now I have nothing to eat in the house from what you said, grapes and sardines. Now is quite late here, is 10 pm and tomorrow morning I'll buy that food.
Did you know anything that can give him to eat now? Corn flour or bread is good? Or maybe other fruits?
For now I put him in a clear plastic bowl, like as one in which my pigeons drink water from my window, I put some towels inside.

My daughter came out to play with children and the children found him, was fell in the grass. My daughter took him and brought home, she know that our home is bird hospital and my daughter is my assistant, a good nurse.

Thank you Karyn,

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 7th July 2011 at 01:22 PM..

Posted 7th July 2011, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturescu View Post
Well, right now I have nothing to eat in the house from what you said, grapes and sardines. Now is quite late here, is 10 pm and tomorrow morning I'll buy that food.
Did you know anything that can give him to eat now? Corn flour or bread is good? Or maybe other fruits?
For now I put him in a clear plastic bowl, like as one in which my pigeons drink water from my window, I put some towels inside.

Thank you Karyn,

Dana
Dana, for tonight you can soak little pieces of bread in water and feed, touch the bread to a Kleenex before feeding so it is not too wet.

Found this clip that may be helpful for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaS0YP_Nr44

Karyn
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:19 PM
i never heard of giving birds sardines? isn't that fish and sparrows eat seeds? just a question what does the sardines do for him/her? he / she is a cutie tho
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseart4u View Post
i never heard of giving birds sardines? isn't that fish and sparrows eat seeds? just a question what does the sardines do for him/her? he / she is a cutie tho
Sparrow are omnivorous, they will eat seeds as well as small insects and fruit as well. Since Dana will not have access to a supply of meal worms to feed, the feeding of sardines will make up the protein part of the diet for now as well as supply a whole range of essential nutrients, like calcium.

Another link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcv4I...eature=related

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 7th July 2011 at 01:26 PM..
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:26 PM
thank you for the info on that
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:28 PM
Karyn, I saw the video and is very useful. I put him in a plastic container the same as we seen in this video.
OK, for the moment I will give him some bread in water. I'll go fast to feed him and we talk tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dana
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:34 PM
And just another question,

Karyn, canned in oil sardines are good? or must be raw sardines?

Dana
Posted 7th July 2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulturescu View Post
And just another question,

Karyn, canned in oil sardines are good? or must be raw sardines?

Dana
Dana, very good question, I am sorry I was not more clear, and glad you asked. You will use canned sardines in oil or water if you can not find the oil kind. And like with the bread, you will touch the sardine to a Kleenex to make sure nothing dips off the food that he may aspirate. You want the very small kind that will have the bones left in for the calcium.

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 7th July 2011 at 05:01 PM..
Posted 7th July 2011, 03:52 PM
You can also feed him soaked dry kitten food, hard boiled eggs, a small bit of cheese, cooked rice, little tiny pieces of apple or pear all the while keeping some wild bird seed in his container. I usually feed from the end of a tooth pick and after a couple of feedings and once the baby figures out what you are doing, he will grab the food from the tooth pick. I do understand this could be problematic with rice though.
There is another forum that you will find helpful and it's called Starling Talk. They have lots of information on sparrows.
I lived with a sparrow for 8 years. Her name was Sparkle and she was quite the charmer. They are lovely birds.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 7th July 2011, 05:46 PM
What are the poops looking like?

And, is this little Sparrow able to vigorously run and hop and flap and so on?

If one does not succeed in communicating with them so that they are willing to ask to be fed...it is virtually impossible to get anywhere.

Some are willing and trusting from the get go, others can be very hard to win over.

Often by this age, they are roughly fledglings and out of the nest naturally, with mom & dad or whomever, feeding them on the ground or on low branches and so on.

If this little one is not sick, then, maybe consider to go investigate where they were found, and, see what the scene is - if there are Sparrows there, and, youngsters and so on, and no special dangers form Cats or other...then, he or she could be put back, and, maybe observe the situation for a while to see if mom & dad find them and are feeding them.

Last edited by pdpbison; 7th July 2011 at 05:50 PM..
Posted 8th July 2011, 03:17 AM
OK Karyn, I bought sardinesin in oil and I'll boil and egg and I'll give him some of what Charis said aboute what else eats.

I tried last night to give him some food but does not want to open the beak and also this morning did not open his beak for food. He does not require food, can not be hungry? I should give him food like pigeons, to open his beak with my hand?

Phil, the place where children have found the baby sparrow is a small play park for children, right behind my block. I asked my daughter where exactly is the place and this morning I went to look after any nest of sparrows. There are many sparrows in the area but I did not see any trace of the nest. Even if I will find his nest is very risky to leave it there because there are many, many cats and many terribile children who would do harm. The baby sparrow was very lucky because my daughter was outside when other children found him. My daughter took him and brought him home immediately.

And to answer your question, Phil, the little is vigorous, in this morning he ran through the house, hop and flap and began to peep.

I put a picture with the poop overnight.

Thank you,

Dana

Last edited by Vulturescu; 23rd July 2011 at 03:55 AM..
Posted 8th July 2011, 06:30 AM
Dana, I think it is as Phil says, that there has to be a sense of communication between the caregiver and the sparrow so they are at ease and asking to be feed, and willing to do so. How to do this with a sparrow, I frankly don't know as I have not hand raised a sparrow before, other than what would be done with a young pigeon who is frighten and uncooperative. Talking to the bird and reassuring the bird your are there to help and no fast hand movements over them and trying to approach them from lower, coming up to them, instead of higher, coming down., being slow and patient.

This little one will need food, grapes for fluids and sardines to balance things out before long, as it will be a day since he probably had anything. Continue to try lightly tapping the food to the front side of his beak, telling him he needs to eat, he may soon get the idea allow himself to be feed.

That he is energetic and vigorous is a good sign, please try a little more and see if he will cooperate, in the meantime perhaps there will be others who will have a better idea how to get him to cooperate and when it will be time to open his beak and feed him, kind of force feeding him, if he does not.

We will get this straightened out today for him.

Another link with information: http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm

Karyn

Last edited by Dobato; 8th July 2011 at 06:37 AM..
Posted 8th July 2011, 06:48 AM
Now I try to give some pieces of grapes, is beside me now. He opened beak a little and took two or three pieces of grapes but does not want to eat sardines. I noticed that only for grapes open beak but not for sardine. May not be familiar with this food, needs some time to get used to this change.

However, I know how I wear with him to not scare him but I think he need some time to get used to me. I would say that is a little difference between his mother and me

He is so small and sweet. I'm used to my pigeons and he seems so small and delicate.
When Coko heard the baby sparrow making noise, he looks curious to see where it comes from that noise.

Dana

Tags
baby sparrow found