Found a European Starling, took to rehabber, "air sacs are blown?" - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 29th June 2012, 11:03 PM

Found a European Starling, took to rehabber, "air sacs are blown?"

Hi, I was at a supermarket today talking to some homeless kids and their dog in the parking lot, when a little starling hopped up onto one of the kids' hoodies and hung out there, before hopping onto the top of his head! We tried to get him to fly, and he could flap his wings and glide a bit, but didn't really fly. When he tucked his wings, the right one dragged a little but was not obviously broken.

I volunteered to put him in a paper bag and figure out what to do with him. I took him home initially and set him up in my bathroom with a bit of water and some seed and a mat in the tub. He made himself at home, flapped around, and seemed bright and alert and actually downright cheeky. I took a shine to the little fella.

I wasn't sure what species he was (at the time I didn't know he was a European starling), nor whether he was a juvenile who hadn't learned to eat on his own, so I decided it would be wisest to take him to a wildlife rehab center in a nearby town that accepts ordinary street birds - even pigeons!

They took him in and on the initial exam, they said his air sacs were blown (whatever those are, and whatever that means), perhaps due to some trauma, but they'd keep him overnight and that sometimes air sacs just repaired themselves.

I told them that I would like to release him, if he can be rehabbed. I will call tomorrow, as I am not sure whether they will euthanize him if they think he cannot be released into the wild. I cannot adopt him because I have cats who would kill him in a second (one of my cats has never killed anything but I can tell by the way he launches himself at the window when he spies a pigeon outside, that he's a born killer).

So, anybody who know anything about air sacs and how they get "blown" - some feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th June 2012, 10:23 AM
Try this page

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rupturedairsac.htm
Posted 30th June 2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you Feefo. Unfortunately I just called WildCare and they said my little starling died this morning. He had a puncture wound on his right wing and his air sacs were wonky so apparently he was attacked by some other animal. She said that birds in his condition often succumb to infections within a couple of days. He was so spunky and cheeky and alert yesterday, I thought he would have a chance. I don't know what would have attacked him except, in the parking lot of Safeway - he could have gone up to a dog that was tied up while its owner was shopping, and there are also crows, pigeons and seagulls that hang out there. RIP little starling.

Posted 30th June 2012, 02:23 PM
So sorry he didn't make it.

Reti
Posted 30th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear that. Thank you for helping the bird.
Posted 1st July 2012, 04:31 AM
I am so sorry.
Posted 1st July 2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry that you lost him.
After an attack they need to be put on antibiotics immediately or they die of infection even if the wounds are not severe.

Tags
starling air sacs injured