Help baby sparrow - 'air bubble' in crop? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 11th July 2011, 08:56 AM

Help baby sparrow - 'air bubble' in crop?

I just happened upon this site as I was looking for info on air bubbles in the copo of a baby bird...... I was sad that Marshs posts ended ...... she spoke of an issue with Erwin... I pray he is ok I myself am raising 4 baby house sparrows.... successfully raised 3 from the last clutch..... they have made nests in recessed lighting out on the porch of my friends house..... the babies keep falling out.... on the first day this happened we found 7 we were so so sad! that we went and got hanging baskets to catch anymore that fell..... we were not aware that they mate more than once a year.... our first batch we saved 3 of the 4 that fell after the original 7 plummeted to their death The smallest one died, were not sure why we feed them bird formula.... we were feeding dry kitten food soaked in water..... but from what I had read the formula was the best.... I may try some sardines though after reading this..... I have one who is very much smaller than the others.... today I noticed a small air bubble in his crop..... thats why I was on here lookin for answers..... is this normal? its noting like the pics Ive seen in here, so Im guessing its probably ok and will go away...... anyone ever see an air bubble in the crop? theres mostly food in there but I never saw a bubble in any of the others any advice would be appreciated.... also , what kind of anti biotics are suggested for these birdies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th July 2011, 09:44 AM
after reading more, I am definitely on my way to the store to get sardines for my little guy!!! I now wonder if the smallest one that died aspirated some of the bird gruel :-O
..... he was only a day old... he was very alert but declined fast his little head was as small as the tip of my pinky..... we fed him canned cat food.... but Im wondering if there was too much liquid.... I hope I was not the cause of his demise... but all the others have been fine who knows, it will haunt me forever though
Posted 11th July 2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMama513 View Post
after reading more, I am definitely on my way to the store to get sardines for my little guy!!! I now wonder if the smallest one that died aspirated some of the bird gruel :-O
..... he was only a day old... he was very alert but declined fast his little head was as small as the tip of my pinky..... we fed him canned cat food.... but Im wondering if there was too much liquid.... I hope I was not the cause of his demise... but all the others have been fine who knows, it will haunt me forever though
BM513, there are only a few people on the forum with much experience with birds other than pigeons, but we try our best to help were we can.

I have asked a MOD to move your posts to their own thread, but if you could start by posting a clear photo or the little guy, and the area in question, and any fresh droppings he's done, this would be good.

Good luck,

Karyn

Posted 11th July 2011, 05:05 PM
This site helps with sparrows too.

http://www.starlingtalk.com/

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 11th July 2011, 06:14 PM
Are you sure you are getting air in the crop. When you feed a baby sparrow, you will see a small lump in the crop, which is in the front of their neck. It's normal to see a small lump there. I have a video that shows this. Maybe watching it will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JedLK...eature=related

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 11th July 2011 at 06:19 PM..
Posted 11th July 2011, 08:36 PM
how do I post a pic here? Do I need to save it to a website first?? And Jay... thank you so much for your reply @ Charis..... Thank you I think that is one of the sites I read before...... thanks for posting
Posted 11th July 2011, 08:41 PM
I use Photobucket to post here.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 12th July 2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMama513 View Post
how do I post a pic here? Do I need to save it to a website first?? And Jay... thank you so much for your reply @ Charis..... Thank you I think that is one of the sites I read before...... thanks for posting
Here is a link on how to post up photos right here at Pigeon-Talk:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...9&postcount=15

As the link mentions, photos must be under 100kb in size or you will not be able to post them. Microsoft "Paint", a free program that comes with Windows can be used to reduce the size of a photo.

Karyn
Posted 12th July 2011, 12:19 PM
I found that link and PM'd it to her last night, so she has it.

Posted 13th July 2011, 07:32 AM
When trying to figure out whether bird crops are empty or whatever, it helps to understand how different postures that the bird can take will make it feel to your fingers when manually checking it. When they hunker down, their neck bones will fold into an "S" shape versus when they're standing up straight with their necks extended. Here's a rough illustration that I just made that shows the extended posture on the left and how the neck sorta' folds up on the right:

A lot of people mistake that lower, forward-jutting fold of the neck bones as stuff in the crop when they're feeling around down there. You actually have to find what's in the crop by feeling between that and the forward portion of the keel, which is also shown in the illustration and can be felt on any bird.

Pidgey