HELP! need baby bird advise - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 7th June 2013, 09:49 PM

HELP! need baby bird advise

My cat brought me a live "Present" this morning.. a baby robin. Have no clue where its nest is. Short time later, my mom's cat is found playing with a baby dove! It was still alive when we rescued it from her cat. I saw no blood or anything that appeared to be "open wounds" on either bird. Just a patch of missing feathers. Both birds look like/or very close to being fledglings. The robin is pooping and eating worms and "dog food mixture" with no problems. The Dove, I know is a vegan, so we put seeds down for it, but it has not showed any signs of pooping or eating. I figure it is still in shock from the cat. We have both birds together in a plastic container with a heating pad on low and a sheet folded and laid over the heating pad hoping they survive the night. I spent the day trying to contact a wild life shelter that can take the birds, but no such luck. One is no longer in existence and the other is maxed out and does not have the extra staff to take on baby birds. Next county over, same story, maxed out and no room. I tried several places and even out of state, but laws will not permit them to take animals from another state. I don't want to see these birds become cat food or play toys for our cats. I can care for the robin easily enough so far with the worms and dog food mixture, but I have no clue how to get the baby Mourning Dove to eat. I would hate to see it starve to death. I feel so helpless, Thus my post in here. I need Tips, how to's, type of food, how often to feed, etc. It would be greatly appreciated.

Artist1969

It would be a glorious day when cats and birds could get along as friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th June 2013, 06:22 AM
First I would separate the two, as they are different species and not sure about transference in that close of quarters and tending to them can be different. The dove eats from the parents crop so that is different than the gaping of a robin to be fed. The dove may be fine being fed defrosted corn and some peas at room temp, you have to open the beak and put them in the back of the throat to swallow , till you feel the crop enlarge some. The dove may be able to be released to a vet where they can care for it, just ask what their policy is on wild birds . The robin if eating for you can be weaned and a release a when flying on his own, but you may have to feed him in the yard and let him search for bugs and worms and feed him like that as to show him where the food comes from. The cats need to be kept indoors so you may want to dust off your litter boxes and keep them in, ESP this time of year.
Posted 8th June 2013, 06:48 AM
If a bird has been caught by a cat, then he needs antibiotics ASAP. Otherwise, he will probably die of an infection from the cats teeth or claws. Even a tiny scratch or puncture wound can cause an infection. There can easily be tiny punctures or scratches that you cannot see under the feathers.
The cat shouldn't be let out to roam free, as he is probably killing many other birds that you don't even know about.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 8th June 2013, 07:38 AM

Thankyou

Thank you for your advise. They both survived the night. I know that being birds that were caught by cats that they should get antibiotics. I was on the phone all day yesterday trying to find some place that could take them in and give them the proper care, i.e. antibiotic shots, but no one could take them, or give them the shot and we take care of them. As for our local vet they only do farm animals and cats and dogs, no wild animals. Apparently vets/nature reserves/etc have to have a federal and a state licences to care for wild birds.
The robin has been eating cut up worms and a mixture of high protein dog food, sugar water, egg yolk, multi-grain baby cereal. I whistle to it and it opens it mouth to eat. It shows no signs of ready to try flying. How old are they when they fly and get to feeding on their own?
The dove is moving around. We now have them separated. we have seeds sprinkled to try to get it to eat on its own. It acts like its trying to fly but can't yet. We locked the cats out of a room and tested to see if it could fly, it just flops around on the ground. For feeding, being that it wont peck for the seeds on the ground yet, do I put the seed into its mouth whole or should I crush them some?

_____

It would be a glorious day when cats and birds could get along as friends.
Posted 8th June 2013, 07:54 AM
You can give it seed, but the defrosted corn and peas are easier to put down the throat, and give hydration, you may have to wrap him in a towel to open the beak and put the corn piece in the back of the throat. Where is your location ? There may be someone who we can find that can take wild birds. Or at least the dove as they are harder to care for.
Posted 8th June 2013, 10:26 AM

I live near Danbury, WI but on the Minnesota side in Pine County. I tried but maybe you have better luck.
Posted 8th June 2013, 12:10 PM
give these a try.

Chris Brotz 4321 Stoney Ridge Trail, Oshkosh 920-836-3734 or email Opossum, rodent/rabbit, raccoon
Aves Wildlife Alliance 351 Muttart Dr., Neenah 920-716-2790 or email All except hoofed and raccoon
Terri Hauser 7187 Angell Rd., Oshkosh 920-915-1084 or email Opossum, Insectivore, Rodent/rabbit, bats, non-passerine, passerine, waterfowl, short-legged wader, raptor, upland bird, reptile, amphibian
Posted 8th June 2013, 03:36 PM

I live on the Minnesota side, so Wisconsin will not take the birds because they were rescued on "Minnesota property". Don't make sense being that they migrate over many states normally on their own. Stupid laws.

We went to a pet store to find that "milk" for the dove because we have not been able to get it to eat seeds or the soft corn. On a suggestion by the pet store, we ground the seeds into a fine flour and added water until a milky consistency. Then put it in a bottle with a large hole nipple over it. We put the birds beak in the hole and tilted up for the liquid touched him. Wow did he go to town!!!! Was getting so worried because its been 24 hours to get him to eat. Now hopefully he will have more of a chance.

The pet store did say that it looks like he is missing a lot of his tail feathers.
Posted 8th June 2013, 06:32 PM
Can you put a pic of the baby dove. If it's a few weeks old it will not eat seeds or defrosted peas or corn on its own. You will have to put it in the back of its throat by opening the beak.
If it's younger than a few weeks then the method you're using is best.
Missing feathers it's a sign that the cat put the paws on it. Feathers are falling when there's a scratch or wound. You have you get ANTIBIOTICS ASAP ( amoxicillin or any human antibiotic) Tell us what you have and we'll help with how much to give.
Cats carry pasturella. Even a cat lick on the feathers can kill a dove ( who usually preen their feathers)
Posted 8th June 2013, 06:43 PM

Sad Day

The mourning dove died this afternoon. I tried really hard the last two days to find someone to take him in and get him the antibiotic but everyone said they were too full or we couldn't take him over the state border. So sad.
Posted 8th June 2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry you lost him. Thanks for trying.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
baby dove, baby robin