I found a house sparrow with a smashed leg? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 14th November 2011, 06:14 PM

I found a house sparrow with a missing leg?

I dont know how i cought her but i did.. it was downtown . i saw something jumping around the cars.. something black and little.. it was dark out and someting smelled bad about the whole situation..
I approaced the little birdie. it was a sparrow.. couldnt fly up and couldnt walk right..
yeah it took about 10 min to catch it.. little birdies are so ard to catch even when sick..
MAn once i got this bird in my hands. i see one of his legs is completelly missing..squshed.. How i dont know..
another leg is fine..she is covered in oil.. car oil.. How do i wash that without stressing her out..
I got her home. put her in a small cage. and boy was she hungry. she been eating since we got home..
seems like a normal little bird. little shocked.. but missing leg dont seem to bother her.. she gets around.. .
Its obvious this is fresh cause i seen some dried up blood.
i havent put her on any pain meds cause i really dont have any anymore..my broken leg pigeon used it all.
So how do i go about this sparrow? I know the food and all. will she be ok spending te rest of her life in te cage???
do they get used to it? Will she ever be tame enought so i can let her fly around the house? will she go back to the cage like parakeets do or will i have to chase her around?

How will i clean off this oil from her little body??

i really think she lived in somebodys hood of the car

Last edited by goga82; 14th November 2011 at 07:57 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th November 2011, 04:09 AM
Dear Goga,

I don't know any of the answers to your questions, but I just wanted to wish you lots of encouragement & support. You are a very observant and kind person!
If it were me with an oil covered sparrow, I'd do some research about oil spills and how wildlife rescue groups remove oil from the feathers of the sea birds they rescue. You'd think they'd know all the tricks.

Best of luck Goga, the little sparrow is so lucky to have you!
Posted 15th November 2011, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_F View Post
Dear Goga,

I don't know any of the answers to your questions, but I just wanted to wish you lots of encouragement & support. You are a very observant and kind person!
If it were me with an oil covered sparrow, I'd do some research about oil spills and how wildlife rescue groups remove oil from the feathers of the sea birds they rescue. You'd think they'd know all the tricks.

Best of luck Goga, the little sparrow is so lucky to have you!
i did my research.. gave her two bats yesterday .. poor bird smelled like oil.. each time we would end the bath she was hungry.. man do she eat
doing great today i never had a sparrow as a pet.. this one isnt leaving my sight (ever) she is sooo cute.. she looking at me.. and blinking adorable

Posted 15th November 2011, 07:12 AM
You can clean her with Dawn soap and water if you are very careful. THis is how they help oil spill victim birds.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien
http://libis.deviantart.com/
Posted 15th November 2011, 05:01 PM
im taking her to wild life rescue they told me to bring her in .. just to check her out.. so thats waht im gonna do.. if they plan on doing aything else but to check her out. im taking her back home

Tags
sick bird