I'm frantic to save this baby bird - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 11th June 2011, 04:50 PM
Location: I live in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio but reside much of the time at my son's to take care of my Grandchildren while he works to have his own business. Computer repair & carpet & upholstery cleaning, power washing etc.
Yes, you did explain it already & I did take much of your dietary advise. But being in the country & not able to leave the bird alone for very long as my Granddaughter is not always here to help feed him, I had to make due as the distance to the health food store is far away. He has been doing so wel, anyway,l & I don't use dry dog food. I figured he still needed protein as I didn't see a source mentioned by you or misunderstood so I wondered if there would be a high grade cat food, acceptable, because I did hear that is more nutritious. I was buying the moist dog food that had a higher rating than any of the other brands & even the Cesar brand has lower grade which I wouldn't give to my dogs. I thought that would be okay for now & was asking for a better protein source. So if I can't use that Cesar & there's no good grade cat food, where can I get his protein from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th June 2011, 11:33 PM
Lol...

Just about all the rehabbres use dry god or cat foods, and, it appears to work alright.

Just saying that in my opinion, it is not ideal or even wholesome at all, nor as good as more wholesome and less highly 'processed' or more ingenuous sources of protean.

Two-Layer ( small tradtional Can )Sardines/Snipes/Smelts/etc are high protean, and being very small, have the Skins and Spines present, and, are about like a Bug would be actually, but, lack fresh Chlorophyl and or Fruit Sugars anr related which a Bug/Insect intestines would have ( even as all or any dog or cat foods would totally lack ) so...if one wishes to do it well, one needs to get some fresh Cilantro ( Any Grocery Store should have it in the produce section ) and, if possible, some Chlorella also...and also to feed appropriate Fruits/Berries.

Sparrows get their Protean from live Insects/Bugs, Grains/Seeds of Plants, and, from various Plant parts, tender Buds or shoots or particular tender Leaves and Fruits or obscure and small fruiting Bodies, Berries and so on.

Deep Ocean provenance Fish also are valuable sources of Omega 3 Fatty Acids which are very good for just about any sort of Bird, as are the various Berries which are natural foods high in Antioxidents, such as Goji Berries or Sour or Dark Cherries ( NON SULFITE! of course ) other Berries even if dried and re-hydrated are very good for them, and, when combined with the Chlorophyl, would probably resemble very well, some of the important Nutrients found in the intestines of plant and fruit eating Insects also.

There is quite a bit of protean in small Berries, Cilantro, small Grains or Seeds of appropriate kinds, and so on for that matter...and of course a great deal more protean in the Canned Water Pack Sardines.

It is not as if protean is absent in non-animal-flesh or absent in Botanical derived foods...it is merely more concentrated in some foods than in others.

None of the 'ratings' include important facts when it comes to cat or dog food.

It is all a sell game, a jive, a big BS of faking garbage-materials with additives to patronize the laws which regulate what a label can state, with about zero oversight or testing by anyone to even see IF the product equates to the merely superficial attributes a label may state.

There may be or are some exceptions, and, these WILL be actual identifiable real Foods, and, not stuff made by extruding a 'paste' made out of horrible refuse and decaying carcases and so on which have been cooked into oblivian.

Hence, my interest to only use or recommend foods which are real, natural, wholesome, appropriate for the Species, and honest.

Trying to catch Bugs and Insects to feed a Baby or Youngster Song Bird is also dangerous, because we do not know if we have got a wrong one or a wrong kind, or an okay kind who has been eating TOxic Plant saps or other, or who has bene sprayed with a pestacide and hence was a little easier TO catch, and we could sicken or kill a Baby or Youngster Song Bird if we goof in that way.

Crickets will tend to be safe and excellent...if one can find them...and if they are vigorous and lively and vivid.

But, Canned Sardines are so easy, so nutritious, and the Babys like them, and you can get them anywhere and everywhere on Earth where Groceries are sold, so, that is my choice for the main protean source.

Last edited by pdpbison; 11th June 2011 at 11:41 PM..
Posted 19th June 2011, 03:09 AM
Location: I live in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio but reside much of the time at my son's to take care of my Grandchildren while he works to have his own business. Computer repair & carpet & upholstery cleaning, power washing etc.

Thanks Phil

Erwin loved his diet & the sardines made me feel that he's was getting well nutritioned in a way much better than the dog food was doing. I have followed your advise & Erwin has been doing well thanks to all that advise. He seemed to really love the cherries, especially. There's a problem I'm soon to share with everyone but right now I have to tend to Erwin.

Posted 19th June 2011, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear he is doing well and likes the chow..!

I will check back off and on for your next post.

Best wishes!

Phil
Lv

P.S.

The Site's Time Stamps are screwes up lately - my Post here is being edited at 10:50 PM, US Pacific Time.
Yet the Time Stamp assigned to it is 5:51...

Last edited by pdpbison; 19th June 2011 at 06:52 PM..
Posted 19th June 2011, 07:12 PM
Our African grey had a ruptured air sac or crop sac we could see food around his neck , the breeder said it would most likely heal own its own and it did . Ya'll that give advice are awesome , are some of you vets ?
Posted 20th June 2011, 09:58 AM

I'm thankful for this site

I agree Kathy. This site is awesome. I'm blessed to have found this place, especially, Phil & Karyn. I'm very busy with Erwin & my other birds & dogs, my Grandchildren & other adult children & gardening but sometime today I plan to make another post concerning Erwin & need some important advise. I was away at my home all week & didn't have a computer there to keep all of you updated on Erwin but should be here in the country a while longer, maybe all week. I wasn't able to get any new pictures of Erwin, Phil, but if my friend, actually, he's my son's best friend, if he comes over I'll get him to take more pictures.
Posted 26th June 2011, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowercard View Post
Hi,

I saved a baby robin from being attacked from a crow, I fixed up the head wound; but now it has some sort of transparent air sack near it's left leg. Please tell me what to do, the wild life rescue center cannot be bothered by my call and won't take the bird.

Please give me some help!!
Flowercard, thanks for trying to help this little one out.

Here are a couple of links on feeding and care:

Marsha, here are a couple of links that you may find useful:

http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index....ic=8199.5;wap2

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/robin/FAQBabies.html

The photos you posted is had to make out, so if you could pull back some so more/all of the bird is in the photos, plus work on getting it a bit more focused, this would be good. I am going to ask a Moderator to more you post to its own thread in this section of the forum.

Karyn
Posted 11th July 2011, 05:13 PM
Unhappy

Karyn

You said you had the MOD move them.... but where were they moved to???
Posted 11th July 2011, 05:33 PM
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=54417

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 11th July 2011, 06:10 PM
Yes Karin, I would love to know where your clinic is located. Maybe I live close enough to bring Ginger to you if she gets sick.
Posted 11th July 2011, 06:19 PM
You need to take the bird to the vet. They will do what is best for the bird.you may not be feeding it the right diet. I have been a licensed bird rehabber on Virginia for twenty years. You have to have a state and federal permit to keep any migratory bird. You cannot just buy a license. Passerines are entirely different from pigeons as far as care. Please surrender this bird to the vet. It is better for the bird to be assessed by a vet than to go on as you are. I know this sounds harsh but it is the reality. Christie Huffman
Posted 11th July 2011, 06:29 PM
Christie...I house sparrows and starlings are not protected. They are a non native species. It sounds like you are an exception...many licensed rehab facilities won't even accept them or if they do, they euthanize them.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 12th July 2011, 12:49 AM
I once had a baby scrub jay who had a ruptured air sac. I had my father hold the little guy in his hands while I took a syringe and poked into the bubble. I carefully avoided all the veins. When the tip of the needle was just under the skin, I drew the air out. I was instructed to repeat this if the air came back, but it never did. And through the whole process the bird didn't even seem to notice. It was very successful.
Posted 12th July 2011, 03:48 AM
I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if I duplicate something already posted. I can contribute to food choices. I raise all my babies on Hill's Prescription Diet 'a/d' (must buy from a vet clinic only - not in pet stores), Also, 'small bite puppy chow' - I prefer Eukanuba or Science Diet. I soak it in hot water until it 'puffs'.
'Nekton' (you can google it) has an excellent line of food and vitamins for insect eating birds. My Robin 'Baby' lived for 13 years on Eukanuba Small Bite puppy chow

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 12th July 2011, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMama513 View Post
You said you had the MOD move them.... but where were they moved to???
BM513, I am sorry, if this was a bit confusing for you, but I see you found "your" thread from the link John posted, this way people will not get confused about what bird is being discussed when you have your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPigeon View Post
Yes Karin, I would love to know where your clinic is located. Maybe I live close enough to bring Ginger to you if she gets sick.
Gingerpigeon, if this is directed towards me, I am not too sure what you mean, as I don't have a clinic, I am just one of the regulars here at Pigeon-Talk who helps out where we can .

Karyn

Tags
air sack problem, baby bird