I'm frantic to save this baby bird - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 12th July 2011, 06:00 PM
Sorry Karyn I spelled your name wrong. I thought you were a vet because you write the way some of the vets I've taken my cats to talk. I understand most of what they tell me but some times I tease them and ask they speak in english.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th July 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Marsha,
Please hang in there with Erwin whatever he is. I did rehab years ago and have raised both sparrows (English or house and other varieties) and a starling or two. Very grateful to have known both species. I must say I cannot see enough from your pictures to tell for certain what he is and that is a worry. If it is a sparrow one of the things we used (that was great) was Kaytee Exact baby bird formula. I usually mixed per package direction and mixed to consistency of baby food stirred. I gave it to them with an eye dropper careful not to get in their crop. I also supplemented with really small mealworms. We did not have probs with the worms but I am in a different part of the country than you are and the worms sold here in pet stores are usually for pet animals so maybe that matters. I never saw the air sacs issue in spite of raising many babies but again different part of the country so the air and weather may be a factor. Good luck with him and on behalf of bird lovers everywhere thanks for taking care of him!
Posted 13th July 2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobato View Post
...I am just one of the regulars here at Pigeon-Talk...
I'm regular, too!

(Raisin Bran is very good for you)

Pidgey

Posted 13th July 2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
I'm regular, too!

(Raisin Bran is very good for you)

Pidgey
Pidgey, I suspect you may be one of the most regular people here .

Karyn
Posted 13th July 2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPigeon View Post
Sorry Karyn I spelled your name wrong. I thought you were a vet because you write the way some of the vets I've taken my cats to talk. I understand most of what they tell me but some times I tease them and ask they speak in english.
GingerPigeon, no worries, nothing to be sorry about. If Ginger is ever feeling under the weather, we have some pretty good people here who may be able to help you get her back on track .

Karyn
Posted 16th July 2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if I duplicate something already posted. I can contribute to food choices. I raise all my babies on Hill's Prescription Diet 'a/d' (must buy from a vet clinic only - not in pet stores), Also, 'small bite puppy chow' - I prefer Eukanuba or Science Diet. I soak it in hot water until it 'puffs'.
'Nekton' (you can google it) has an excellent line of food and vitamins for insect eating birds. My Robin 'Baby' lived for 13 years on Eukanuba Small Bite puppy chow
I googled Nekton and did not see a specific food listed for "bug eaters" but I can get the Eukanuba do you need to wet it every day? My babies are house sparrows, and I have been feeding them the baby bird formula ..... was told that finch food would be good for them when weaned..... I also read somewhere that House Sparrows only eat bugs as babies...... I want to make sure they have the absolute best and appropriate diet I love these little guys
Posted 16th July 2011, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMama513 View Post
I googled Nekton and did not see a specific food listed for "bug eaters" but I can get the Eukanuba do you need to wet it every day? My babies are house sparrows, and I have been feeding them the baby bird formula ..... was told that finch food would be good for them when weaned..... I also read somewhere that House Sparrows only eat bugs as babies...... I want to make sure they have the absolute best and appropriate diet I love these little guys

Don't understand what you mean by "DO YOU HAVE TO WET IT EVERY DAY?".
You would only mix up enough to feed to them for a couple of days at a time, then you would make more. Just buy a good dry cat food, and mix half a cup of water to 1l2 cup of dry cat food. Some people add a few drops of vitamins in when they add the water, and mix it in. Any thing left between feedings should be refrigerated. To warm it up, put a smaller container into a larger container to which you have added hot water. Stir the cat food you are heating to warm all through. You will have to change the water when it gets cool. I would only warm up enough for the one feeding at a time.

As was mention, you can also supplement with mealworms. Most pet stores sell them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 16th July 2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Don't understand what you mean by "DO YOU HAVE TO WET IT EVERY DAY?".
You would only mix up enough to feed to them for a couple of days at a time, then you would make more. Just buy a good dry cat food, and mix half a cup of water to 1l2 cup of dry cat food. Some people add a few drops of vitamins in when they add the water, and mix it in. Any thing left between feedings should be refrigerated. To warm it up, put a smaller container into a larger container to which you have added hot water. Stir the cat food you are heating to warm all through. You will have to change the water when it gets cool. I would only warm up enough for the one feeding at a time.

As was mention, you can also supplement with mealworms. Most pet stores sell them.
sorry for the confusion.... the original post I quoted I just dont seem to see in here anymore >.< do I need to wet it everyday referred to MsFreebird as to feeding weaned birdies Eukanuba dog food as for now I am feeding them the cat food soaked in water and added hardboiled egg and applesauce ...... Msfreebird posted about a site that sells bird food for after theyre weaned and also mentioned the Eukanuba...... I just wasnt sure it I needed to soak it everyday or if it was dry and crushed if theyd eat it that way..... sorry for the confusion
Posted 16th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMama513 View Post
sorry for the confusion.... the original post I quoted I just dont seem to see in here anymore >.< do I need to wet it everyday referred to MsFreebird as to feeding weaned birdies Eukanuba dog food as for now I am feeding them the cat food soaked in water and added hardboiled egg and applesauce ...... Msfreebird posted about a site that sells bird food for after theyre weaned and also mentioned the Eukanuba...... I just wasnt sure it I needed to soak it everyday or if it was dry and crushed if theyd eat it that way..... sorry for the confusion
This is what I used for my Robin-
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=6991
I was told that cat food is not good for raising birds- too high in protein.
Dog food doesn't have enough protein.........Puppy food is just about right in protein. Or a 'recovery' food like 'Prescription diet (Hill's) a/d'
I soak just what I need for the day.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 16th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Any 'dry' Foods should be soaked prior to feeding.

This is how these Species of youngsters get their Hydration.
Posted 16th July 2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
This is what I used for my Robin-
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=6991
I was told that cat food is not good for raising birds- too high in protein.
Dog food doesn't have enough protein.........Puppy food is just about right in protein. Or a 'recovery' food like 'Prescription diet (Hill's) a/d'
I soak just what I need for the day.

What is the amount of protein in that food Waynette?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
air sack problem, baby bird