In Need of Great Help (Bulbul) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 30th May 2011, 01:08 PM
well i really dont know how to answer that. The food im giving him is basically the same food my old yellow-vented bulbul lived off for 4 years, so im pretty sure it has all the calcium and vitamins it needs. could it be because he flew at a young age and fell several times? but when he used to fall from flying he wouldnt be affected because they were usually small falls. might this be the outcome of all the falls he has taken and does that help anyone realize what they need ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th May 2011, 01:14 PM
Where are you located. It could be so many things. It could be something diet related, or bacterial, and without getting the poop checked by a vet, it's hard to know what to treat for. Although they should be fed what they would eat in the wild there, they shouldn't be on a paste forever. Is there a wild life place in your area that could help?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 30th May 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm in Lebanon, and i took him today to supposedly one of the most reliable vets who told me to give him the antibiotics, the vet couldn't know exactly what's wrong with him. Sometimes he's vomiting the food after taking the antibiotics :S I'm going back to the vet tomorrow , and i am going to try feeding him his natural diet rather than the paste given by all pet shops. Please stay updated with this thread everyone, i will post how the bird has become tomorrow night at around this time, i really need the help and thank you for all the help so far. Even though the bird is still not able to stand on both feet, i feel like he is very energetic and will get through it, whatever the problem is.

Posted 30th May 2011, 02:45 PM
Exactly what is the paste you are feeding with?

If you give your bird one drop of Pepto Bismol before you give the meds, it sometimes helps stop them from vomiting. Don't know if you have that there.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 30th May 2011, 10:53 PM
Nothing much I can really add to this. I PM'ed you, but basically have nothing new to add; without a very thorough exam, bloodtest, fecal test, culture test...one can only make their best guesses.

Keep on the antibiotic. Most certainly with a Bird that small a crash or fall can harm it, so it could be that, too.

As Jay said, impossible to guess exactly what is going on...so in these cases you just keep her/him nice and warm and quiet, well-fed, and try a wide-net antibiotic and hope things improve.
Posted 31st May 2011, 02:05 AM
you have to try different foods for them~ they eat small fruits and i often see adults eat chili peppers in our back yard~ the adult you were telling had survived with just the yellow paste probably you have took care of it when it was already adult.. but young ones and chicks may not be getting all the nutrients they need to grow from just one type of food~ try researching more about yellow vented bulbuls on the web~ they may lack calcium and vitamin D. i have a chewable supplement called 'bio-cal' it contains calcium and cholecalciferol (vit D) that i was planning for my breeding parent pigeons to take few days before the eggs hatch~ and also try placing the chick under the early morning sun for about between the first ray of sun to 9 am for them to regulate their vitamin D and to receive heat for their body and also always provide clean water every after meals which may take several times a day and will be lesser while it grows. hope it helps^^

Tags
bulbul, vented, yellow