In Need of Great Help (Bulbul) - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 29th May 2011, 05:52 AM
Unhappy

In Need of Great Help (Bulbul)

I bought 2 nestling yellow vented bulbuls around a month ago, and i have been taking real good care of them, feeding them with the yellow paste the shop keeper told me to feed them. They started flying at an early stage, but both of them recently stopped using their legs. At first it started with them having 1 leg above the ground while they would use the other, and now one of them has both his legs hurting him, making him not able to move and he tries to move using his wings only which doesnt work out. that one is looking really bad and keeps rejecting food unless i feed it forcefully. what should i do about both my birds ? Is there any treatment ? there are no vets nearby. They are getting worse everyday and i need to knw what to do about that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th May 2011, 06:23 AM
you sure from asia too^^ there are lots of yellow vented bulbuls here in our place too and they eat small bush fruits and even chili pepper~
Posted 29th May 2011, 07:23 AM
maybe that is a sign of calcium deficiency~ try letting them take calcium supplement like powdered dried egg shells after feeding them or mix the powdered egg shells to their yellow paste food

Posted 29th May 2011, 11:37 AM
That's a good idea.

YES - you have to continue to hand feed them...or they will likely die. You also have to diversify their diet. Sounds like if they naturally eat fruits and vegetables, the 'paste' may not be enough.

Can you buy/find any pelleted food for finches ? Kaytee, Lafaeber's, Zupreem, Harrison's, anything like this ? This would be the easiest thing because then they would not need a calcium supplement.

Also, if I were you, I would start them on some antibiotic. This is a guessing game; really they need to see a vet ASAP, but because you said getting them to a vet is not possible....one has to make a decent guess.

But I would try to find some trimeth sulpha ASAP...perhaps at a local pet store, or perhaps at a store which carries supplies for farm animals ?
Posted 29th May 2011, 11:54 AM
thank you for all your help so far. I am going to try my best to find a vet and get them to that vet fast, and they are from the middle east. Another thing that might be helpful for you is that the one that is really in pain has his eyes closed most of the time, and he does not eat, i have to open his mouth to feed him, while the other is more energetic even though he has 1 leg off the ground.
Posted 29th May 2011, 12:58 PM
Also i've had one yellow-vented bulbul before these 2, and he basically lived off that yellow paste they would sell at the pet shop, so i don't think its a dietary problem, could it be because they started flying at a young age ?
Posted 29th May 2011, 02:02 PM
Can you post a picture of how they hold their legs? Do they get calcium and Vitamin D3, which they need in order for their bodies to process the calcium.

Are their legs splayed?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 29th May 2011, 02:16 PM
They're asleep now so I won't be able to post a picture. But I can tell you that their legs aren't splayed. On the contrary they seem to still be able to move them, like when they grasp my finger with their talons. They just can't stand up on them and put their weight on them.

I'll definitely post a picture tomorrow, so please check back later if you can help.
Posted 29th May 2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nourhh View Post
They're asleep now so I won't be able to post a picture. But I can tell you that their legs aren't splayed. On the contrary they seem to still be able to move them, like when they grasp my finger with their talons. They just can't stand up on them and put their weight on them.

I'll definitely post a picture tomorrow, so please check back later if you can help.
maybe you are letting them stand on a smooth surface~? but can they stand in a twig or any perch?
Posted 29th May 2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nourhh View Post
thank you for all your help so far. I am going to try my best to find a vet and get them to that vet fast, and they are from the middle east. Another thing that might be helpful for you is that the one that is really in pain has his eyes closed most of the time, and he does not eat, i have to open his mouth to feed him, while the other is more energetic even though he has 1 leg off the ground.
seems like i have the same problem as you are whenever i had a small passerine bird~ it would be easier if they are seed eating birds but bulbuls prefer small fruits~ i have also kept small birds like black headed munia/mannikins, scaly breasted munias, house sparrows, olive sunbirds (nectar feeding) and also adult pair of yellow vented bulbuls~ i had problems rescuing black headed munia (chestnut mannikins) chicks whenever passerby children who had nothing to do but take on birds life around would steal their eggs or even catch the parents leaving the helpless chicks~ whenever i have black headed munias my problem is that by the next day or 2 they would start feeling ill (even though they always have their meals) and sooner or later they'll take their own life by suicide and die..... i also once had a fantail chick i brought home from school because i think the children who catched it doesn't know how to take care of him i get it from them and they just let me~ i catched small grasshopers and insects until he/she grew feathers and moult~ that was long time ago when i was a kid^^
Posted 29th May 2011, 04:35 PM
just this summer i saw a pair of bulbuls on the backyard and i was holding the hose for water that time~ i tried to point the hose upwards and it was like a water fountain and to my surprise the bulbuls came to it and bath happily since it was a hot summer afternoon that time~ it looks like they wanna thank me for the free summer party^ ^
Posted 30th May 2011, 12:40 PM
ya i've heard that the yellow vented bulbul are very weak birds too :\ the one that was in a very bad state died yesterday the other is doing fine thank god and is very energetic but still can't get up on 2 feet, i'm going to upload the pics now, i'm just creating an account on a image uploading website so i can upload the pics to it and post the link of the image here.
Posted 30th May 2011, 12:48 PM

this is first picture, as u can see the bird is balancing itself using its wings rather than its legs.

this is the second picture with his legs shown closed to his body.
Posted 30th May 2011, 12:49 PM
here are the links to the pictures since the pictures didnt show:
Picture 1 http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...053000169.jpg/
Picture 2 http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...053000170.jpg/
Posted 30th May 2011, 01:06 PM
How much calcium and Vit. D is he getting?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
bulbul, vented, yellow