Indian Fantail neck wobbling - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 8th September 2007, 12:26 PM

Indian Fantail neck wobbling

Hello please help,

I have two cock fantails that are indentical but one of them wobbles his neck when ever he is just walking around, struting. However his behaviour is normal, eats well, drinks well, does all normal activities (ie bathing).

The other fantail does not wobble his neck at all.

My question is that if this is a diesease or just normal indian fantail behaviour?

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th September 2007, 01:31 PM
Hi,

Can you give a little more detail on what you mean by wobbling his neck?

Does he twist it so his head is at a strange angle, or upside down? Pigeons do bob theri heads back and forth when they walk, which is normal, if you mean that.

John

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 8th September 2007, 10:08 PM
I have also encountered this with my indian faintails.

They twitch the feathers/skin on the neck much like a pouter puffs it out only as in shaking it.

I consider it normal behavior as all mine a perfectly healthy.

But I just recently got into them.

Posted 9th September 2007, 12:28 AM
its normal behavior for the fantail. the tantails neck is longer and more bent than other peigeons its also bred into them. more they do the better they are.
Posted 9th September 2007, 06:17 AM
If you have a shaker fantail, they do that. Mine does. When I first got him I thought something is wrong with him, but I did some reasearch and found it is normal for this specific breed. They are called Shakers.

Reti
Posted 9th September 2007, 08:54 PM
Hi there jta382.
I have 3 fantails who all "wobble" their necks from time to time. Looks like a very fast, back and forth movement or vibration. Sometimes they stretch their necks out almost like a goose and wobble them back & forth. My other birds don't do it - only the fantails. Is this the type of movement you mean?

I think it is a normal behavior. Not sure why they do it, but I know my birds are all healthy.
Posted 9th September 2007, 09:02 PM
Maybe he just likes lots of attention and this is his way of saying look at me! look at me!
Posted 9th September 2007, 10:12 PM
we call it the "nuns effect" in Sri lanka. not all fantails do but most do. its nice and fancy when the all do- i keep fantails next door to foster eggs and young.
Posted 10th September 2007, 08:51 AM
Kristen & Warriec -
It sure is funny to see them all do that at once. I just love fantails for the funny way they move, spin around & strut. I could spend all day watching mine! Such sweet little characters.
Posted 10th September 2007, 09:03 AM
Yea I need to get some fantails. I bet my kids would get a kid out of the way they walk. I just hope they don't imitate the birds then everywhere I go people will be giving us weird looks.
Posted 10th September 2007, 09:17 AM
fantail prices have dropped big time in sri lanka, they are so easy to breed and to take care of. they feed young very well.
Posted 10th September 2007, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriec View Post
fantail prices have dropped big time in sri lanka, they are so easy to breed and to take care of. they feed young very well.
You are rite abt that..

Fantails available here range from USD$10 upto $50.. They are the most lovable, popular and easy-breeding pigeons!! I love mine!!

Oh, and i have only 1 fantail pair with 3 kids.. ONly the male is the shaker and the female doesnt "shake at all".. BUT all the kids "shake"!! Its genetic and shakers may be a dollar or two more expensive as they are considered "good quality" breed..

Hope it helps,
Posted 12th September 2007, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoonswirl View Post
Hi there jta382.
I have 3 fantails who all "wobble" their necks from time to time. Looks like a very fast, back and forth movement or vibration. Sometimes they stretch their necks out almost like a goose and wobble them back & forth. My other birds don't do it - only the fantails. Is this the type of movement you mean?

I think it is a normal behavior. Not sure why they do it, but I know my birds are all healthy.

Yes thats exactly what I mean. Looks like this behaviour is normal and thats what I figured since he was a very healthy bird.

Currently his symptoms are that he makes this noise sounds like his throat or nose / beek is conjusted, and still a bit drowsy.

I have given him isolation and heat therapy along with salt+sugar water. He seems to be a bit more active now.

I was going to get Neem Oil and try that, what do you all great ppl think?
Posted 31st October 2011, 03:45 PM
i have a logan racing pigeon that wobbles its neck,when it sees food or gets exited,its strange,he is fit and healthy and flyes like a fighter jet,he puls his head back and wobbles it,any ideas on this ha ha
Posted 31st October 2011, 06:23 PM
The neck wobbling is called zittering. My Indian fan and my mookees do it