Injured Crow, please help! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 30th October 2018, 08:24 AM

Injured Crow, please help!

I don't have much time to type but I'll try to be quick. This forum has been helpful to me before so I hope I can get some advice.

Found a crow today, that didn't look alright. I noticed it had a dry and crusty beak, had dirty feathers and didn't seem to run as soon as I approached it. I have a weak heart and I felt too guilty to leave it there. Looked around for parents but found none and didn't hear any either. Leaving aside all comments of "you shouldn't have picked it up!", the deed is done.

It can't keep balance or stand at the moment, it's wings are drooping, won't eat or drink, and even its' head is sometimes drooping. I knew crows were bigger and this one is also really light.

How can I help it? What kind of aid do I give it? I don't know if I can take it to a vet and I've had an issue before where there were no avian vets around. I'm pretty sure it would've died if I left it there. (There were dogs, cats, kids around also cars nearby. It was practically out in the open on the side of the road in a somewhat busy part of the city.)

I'll attach a pic. Right now it's trying to stand up and I've tried dripping a few small water droplets right at the end of the beak and when it noticed they're there, it seemed to have done that gulping motion. It has a good leg grip but just can't stand up. What can I feed it momentarily?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45162038_2032739970390234_1467736478485315584_n.jpg (100.7 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th October 2018, 09:44 AM
Where in Romania are you? Maybe I could try finding a vet by searching the web.
Posted 30th October 2018, 10:33 AM
It looks like a small bird for a crow. Do you think it is a baby or adolescent crow? Maybe it hasn't been fed. Maybe you could try feeding it water and baby food with a syringe.

You might need to wear gloves. It could be sick with an infectious disease. Poor bird.

Posted 30th October 2018, 10:53 AM
We rescued and released a baby crow. We fed him a variety of foods including small crickets, pieces of earthworms, tomato pieces, strawberry pieces, minced nuts, baby food, moistened dry cat food pieces, everything we could think of. After a couple of weeks we got hm fixed up, and he learned to flap. Every day, his parents came looking for him. I would take him outside in his box so they could see him and after a while, let him run around where they could see him. A hawk wanted him really badly but i kept the baby crow under constant observation whenever i took him outside. Eventually, sadly and happily, he flew off with his parents. He was really messy, and i had to keep cleaning him up. Had to open his mouth and put food in, at first. We never did figure out what was initially wrong with him but an outdoor cat was after him so we rescued him. A lot of birds who are fledglings spend a lot of time on the ground while their parents keep watch on them and visit them to feed them. Hopefully your baby crow will be ok as long as he has no bad injuries. Do you see his parents around anywhere? They would cuss me out but i let them see him every day and they didnt give up until he joined them. Crows are really smart. Crowsy von Beakster eventually lived near us with a mate and would sit in a tree near me and cock his head. He never cussed me out like the other crows. How does the crows poop look? Does he have he any open wounds or obvious injuries? Does look like a baby. Probably a hungry fledgling. As he gets older you may want to try to get him to join a flock by gradually letting other crows see him until he can fly with them and join them.

Last edited by cwebster; 30th October 2018 at 11:01 AM..
Posted 30th October 2018, 11:46 AM
Unhappy

Before I reply to these questions, I'm sad to announce that I came back home and the little crow had passed away. I'm sad its' life has been lost but I won't give up in trying to help other birds in the future. Thank you all for offering me advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend John View Post
Where in Romania are you? Maybe I could try finding a vet by searching the web.
I live in Braila right now, doubtful that you'd find anything. I couldn't find anything myself searching in Romanian and even asking on our Facebook town group. It makes me angry. It's a small town, not exactly the best place to come and work. So more specialized people (in all aspects of jobs, not only vets) just don't come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oars View Post
It looks like a small bird for a crow. Do you think it is a baby or adolescent crow? Maybe it hasn't been fed. Maybe you could try feeding it water and baby food with a syringe.

You might need to wear gloves. It could be sick with an infectious disease. Poor bird.
It is pretty small! I was surprised too. It could be somewhat of a fledgeling, I wouldn't know 100% though. Sadly this was an inopportune time for this little fellow. I'm home alone until tomorrow with no money to buy supplies for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
We rescued and released a baby crow. We fed him a variety of foods including small crickets, pieces of earthworms, tomato pieces, strawberry pieces, minced nuts, baby food, moistened dry cat food pieces, everything we could think of. After a couple of weeks we got hm fixed up, and he learned to flap. Every day, his parents came looking for him. I would take him outside in his box so they could see him and after a while, let him run around where they could see him. A hawk wanted him really badly but i kept the baby crow under constant observation whenever i took him outside. Eventually, sadly and happily, he flew off with his parents. He was really messy, and i had to keep cleaning him up. Had to open his mouth and put food in, at first. We never did figure out what was initially wrong with him but an outdoor cat was after him so we rescued him. A lot of birds who are fledglings spend a lot of time on the ground while their parents keep watch on them and visit them to feed them. Hopefully your baby crow will be ok as long as he has no bad injuries. Do you see his parents around anywhere? They would cuss me out but i let them see him every day and they didnt give up until he joined them. Crows are really smart. Crowsy von Beakster eventually lived near us with a mate and would sit in a tree near me and cock his head. He never cussed me out like the other crows. How does the crows poop look? Does he have he any open wounds or obvious injuries? Does look like a baby. Probably a hungry fledgling. As he gets older you may want to try to get him to join a flock by gradually letting other crows see him until he can fly with them and join them.
I have been interested in crows for a long time, so I knew the general signs to look for in case this was a fledgling. A worker nearby said that he had seen it there for a while and nothing else. I had to go somewhere today and sadly, as mentioned above I didn't have any time to pick up supplies for the poor thing. I wish I was more prepared to help. As for cats, mine showed no interest in it, and there's no hawks around, but I've definitely seen crows. On my way home I saw a few other crows around but they were busy eating on perches, they didn't seem to caw at me or be interested in the bird at all. I wish I could have helped this poor bird more.
Posted 30th October 2018, 01:49 PM
I'm sorry you lost him, but thank you for trying to help. He looked so pretty and cute. RIP.
Posted 30th October 2018, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend John View Post
I'm sorry you lost him, but thank you for trying to help. He looked so pretty and cute. RIP.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope this tiny thing is doing better, wherever it is.
Posted 30th October 2018, 06:01 PM
Am so sorry the poor little guy didnt make it. Thank you for trying.

Tags
crow, crow hurt, emergency