Injured starving crow with bad motor function - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 30th May 2015, 04:49 AM

Injured starving crow with bad motor function

Today I found a quite young baby crow just near the street. It was very skinny. Looks like he has been starving for many days. I took him home, gave him some food and water.

When I took it it didn't even try to do anything. It practically doesn't walk. Every like 50s he turns his head and the whole body to the left, sometimes even falls on the ground. When he does that he makes a sound. Seems like he is in pain.

There is only 1 avian wet that would help me, and still he often is not in the town. I will get the crow to the wet ASAP. Is there anything I could do to help him? Is it possible to cure the crows sickness?

Thank you

Last edited by d40lwwb; 30th May 2015 at 02:30 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th May 2015, 11:08 AM
We rescued a baby actually fledgling crow that a cat was after last year, fixed him up and released him. They are often pushed out of the nest while helpless and the parents usually keep an eye on them and feed them for months. Ours was helpless. He got better slowly after a day or two. We put him in a cat carrier, then a small cage with soft towels. They are very messy so you have to clean the cage a lot. We fed him moistened dry cat food, tiny mealworms and cut up bait worms, tiny crickets, fruit pieces such as grapes and tomatoes, corn, peas, etc etc. As he got better he also ate small pieces of raw beef. We took him outside every day and adult crows would come look at him while he was in his cage. As he got more coordinated, we took him out and let him run around making sure the hawks and cats outside could not harm him. Then we taught him to fly by putting him on one hand and making him flap, by moving him up and down. All the while, whenever possible, when we heard crows outside, we let them socialize. He eventually flew away with adult crows. He is living nearby with a mate now! So please take good care of your baby crow, they are special, intelligent creatures. If you take him to a vet please make sure they don't just euthanize him. Crows are tough. He likely is fine and just is asking to be fed. Please keep me posted on how your baby is doing.

Last edited by cwebster; 30th May 2015 at 11:14 AM..
Posted 1st June 2015, 09:18 PM
How is your crow doing?

Posted 2nd June 2015, 07:53 AM
Firsly I want to appologise that I haven't replied to you for such a long time.

The crow is doing better:
  • He doesn't fall anymore and doesn't make any sound of pain.
  • He still doesn't eat on his own, but sometimes try taking crops/etc from the flour.
  • He gets better at walking, but still hardly walks.
  • He still doesn't fly.
  • He began cleaning himself.

The crow walks away/positions himself not to poo on me. OMG, I didn't know crows were so intelligent and polite
Posted 2nd June 2015, 08:03 AM
Crows are very very smart birds! He won't feed himself for a while if he is a baby or fledgling. You have to open his mouth or wait until he opens his mouth and drop food in. Glad to hear he is doing better. Suggest you feed him a lot as crows need lots of nutrition. Any raw hamburger, small/tiny pieces of meat, cut up worms, veggies, moistened cat food, pieces of tomato, sunflower seeds, etc. will do. They don't feed themselves for a while; because they are so intelligent, they are kind of like human babies, helpless for quite a while. Mother, dad, and older siblings take care of them for a long time. You are privileged to have been "adopted" by a crow! I saw Crowsy von Beakster again this week (the one we rehabbed and released last year). It is very rewarding, when they start learning to fly and grow up and it made me so happy to see him! I suspect your baby is a normal crow who just is going through the awkward stage. So glad to hear he is doing OK. You will want to feed him a lot. They are kind of messy with their poop (I did a lot of laundry while we were raising Crowsy). They really are smart though and try not to poop on you or hurt you. Hope you can post photo!
Posted 2nd June 2015, 09:03 AM
Well he isn't a baby I am happy you saw your bird again Yes, I really know how messy are the crows. I have another crow that has a broken wing and the vet told that it will not fly again or fly only a little after a couple of months.

Oh, yes. The photo. I forgot to add it.

As you see it isn't really a baby

P.S. omg this photo size, im sorry
Posted 2nd June 2015, 06:57 PM
Your crow looks like a young fledgling. The crow we rehabbed had all his black feathers but was so spastic we thought at first that he was dying from West Nile. He just needed safety and good food and recovered from nearly being cat chow. Thank you for helping him! He just needs good nutrition and time to develop. Cute little guy!

Last edited by cwebster; 2nd June 2015 at 07:02 PM..
Posted 2nd June 2015, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear you are also helping the crow with the broken wing. Did you see the information about broken wings on the other crow thread that AndreiS posted? Maybe the two crows can socialize. Crows are very social birds. Crows like pigeons are underrated and reviled just because there are a lot of them. They are wonderful.
Posted 7th June 2015, 08:04 AM
Just wondering how the crows are doing. Hope they are doing well.

Tags
baby crow, crow, motor, motor function, sick