Magpie not Eating or Drinking (Much); Some Open Beak Breathing - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 31st December 2018, 05:41 PM

Magpie not Eating or Drinking (Much); Some Open Beak Breathing

Hi all,

I noticed over the last week or so that a non-releasable magpie I rescued (whose wing was so badly damaged it had to be amputated), Margo, was acting a bit lethargic, and she was starting to eat and drink less. I thought she might be depressed and started to introduce her to my other non-releasable magpie, Maggie. The introduction seems to have been going well enough but Margo has increasingly seemed to be eating and drinking less. I tried keeping Margo's screen door shut but she opened her beak and only closed it when I re-opened the door to Maggie's room.

I tried putting Margo's worms and water up on the top of the cage where she is hanging out, and she seemed to eat some worms. I got a similar result by placing some A/D cat food up where Margo has been hanging out.

Margo has, however, just recently been open-beak breathing again, and I'm not sure what I should do. I thought about trying to get her back into her original room, but when I approached her she closed her beak and ate some of the cat food (suggesting to me that she might be best left where she is for now).

I'd be most grateful for any advice anyone might have.

Thanks so much,
Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st December 2018, 08:15 PM
We are rehabbing a scrub jay with a second one, to release them after vet says rpthey are ready. The one introduced second opens her mouth until after i put the food in the cage and leave. I think it just may an anxious response. Over time, she is doing it less. Hope Margo and Maggie are doing well soon.

Tags
depressed, magpie, not drinking, not eating, open beak breathing