Mangled adult sparrow - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 21st February 2016, 01:39 PM

Mangled adult sparrow

Hi,

My cat caught an adult house sparrow this morning. He's toothless and doesn't seem to use his claws when hunting, so I was surprised to find it bloody. I've since discovered it has gaping injuries on its back and side that appear at least a day old (I didn't want to prod much) and one wing droops (I think this is due to the side injury and not a break). It seems like something else attacked it and it escaped only to be caught again and slobbered over by a cat. The injuries look awful, but it's hopping around the cage and bit me for holding it. It gets tired very quickly, though.

I've coated the injuries I'm aware of in antibiotic cream and I put its container in a mildly heated lizard tank with some paper towels. I know there's a good chance of it not making it regardless, but what do you advise for keeping it comfortable? I'm trying to keep it extra warm due to the blood loss, but I don't want to overheat it either. I tried offering it a piece of wet cat food but it wouldn't open its mouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 21st February 2016, 02:41 PM
When cat caught, a bird can die in a few days time because of the bacteria that the cat passes on to the bird through it's wounds. It really needs to receive antibiotics right away, or it is likely to die.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 21st February 2016, 05:07 PM
I know, but it's already been some time now since the original injuries so "right away" is already beyond me, and they're bad enough that they could be fatal all by themselves. Not sure at this point if it'll still be alive in the morning.

Posted 21st February 2016, 08:37 PM
That's sad. Keep him warm and quiet. Maybe carefully give drops of water on the outside of his beak, and he may suck it up. Be careful though, as he can aspirate if given too much. At least he can die in piece. Probably will be gone by tomorrow. It's frustrating when you can't do anything but watch a little thing like that die. At least he will be inside where it is warm and quiet. Thank you for caring.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 22nd February 2016, 12:00 AM
Am hoping to hear he makes it. Very sad when there isn't much you can do. I was upset all yesterday because there was a squished lovely feral,pigeon in the road a few blocks from my house. Already dead. I kept hoping he or she didn't have a mate and young waiting back home. Thank you for trying to help the sparrow.

Tags
adult sparrow, injured bird, sparrow