My Magpie Ate Painter's Tape - Alternatives? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 12th May 2017, 05:33 PM

My Magpie Ate Painter's Tape - Alternatives?

Hi all,

My magpie Margo apparently ate and vomited some Scotch 3M blue painter's tape. I had been using the painter's tape on to hold together the screen door separating Margo's room from that of my other magpie Maggie, thinking that it was safer than duct tape (which Maggie had previously gotten stuck on her foot). I picked up all of the stray pieces of painter's tape from Margo's and Maggie's rooms, but I am still using it to hold their screen door up / together. Maggie and Margo have both been eating well and there has not seemed to be any change in their activity levels. They will be seeing the vet next week for their annual checkups.

Does anyone know if there a safer tape / adhesive that I can substitute for the painter's tape - which will be minimally problematic if swallowed (but perhaps also something that they won't be interested / able to swallow)?

Thanks so much,
Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th May 2017, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Nye View Post
Hi all,

My magpie Margo apparently ate and vomited some Scotch 3M blue painter's tape. I had been using the painter's tape on to hold together the screen door separating Margo's room from that of my other magpie Maggie, thinking that it was safer than duct tape (which Maggie had previously gotten stuck on her foot). I picked up all of the stray pieces of painter's tape from Margo's and Maggie's rooms, but I am still using it to hold their screen door up / together. Maggie and Margo have both been eating well and there has not seemed to be any change in their activity levels. They will be seeing the vet next week for their annual checkups.

Does anyone know if there a safer tape / adhesive that I can substitute for the painter's tape - which will be minimally problematic if swallowed (but perhaps also something that they won't be interested / able to swallow)?

Thanks so much,
Howard
Hard to make suggestions if we can't see the set up, and exactly what you are trying to do.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 13th May 2017, 08:53 AM
Can you get twist ties? Not sure as Jay3 says without seeing the setup. Magpies are smart...might not eat that again if it didnt turn out well when she ate it the first time.

Posted 13th May 2017, 12:14 PM
Give us some pictures, that way we can give good alternative options to tape
Posted 18th May 2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks very much for your responses. My vet recommended getting a wooden framed door and using hooks and eyes to attach it. I think that should work well. I'll post pictures soon.

Thanks again!
Howard
Posted 18th May 2017, 08:58 AM
Was wondering about mini or small metal lanyards?
Posted 18th May 2017, 05:47 PM
I use pieces of self adhesive Velcro to hold my window and door screen in place. They don't stick well to the screen because they're so strong that when you undo them they will often come unstuck so I've sewn the Velcro on to the screen (sticky mission but won't come off the screen) and used tacks on the door/window frames to keep those velcros in place. The screen I use is a fine toughened plastic insect netting for windows to keep mosquitos out, I get it from a garden centre.
Posted 18th May 2017, 06:59 PM
Just goes to show that where there is a will...............there is a way.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
ingest, magpies, safety, tape, vomit