Need help with sick canary ! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 19th December 2011, 12:40 PM

Need help with sick canary !

I have a canary for 2 weeks. It's a young male, less than 1 year old and he start singing from the second day. Unfortunatelly I saw him only 1 hour in the mornig, when I come back he is spleeping, only in week-end we spend more time with him.
Last Monday night I heard him making a strange noise, like an asthmatic. I call urgently the persson who give it to me and he told me that he probably he catch could or something like this due to the change of the location and I don't have to worry, do not keep him in could and in a few days he will be ok.
Friday he was worst so I was with him to a veterinary. Here there are not so many specialized on birds. He told that the canary has an infection in air sacs and gave me a syringe with a liquid combination from 4-5 bottles to give 2 drops 3 times per day. He did not want to say what he mixed there. Saturday canary began to have diarrhea, I called the veterinary who told me to continue with the treatment.
The canary is generally lively and eats well. He singed Sunday morning, but in the afternoon I saw him staying without to move on the bar about 2 hours. He seemed better this morning, when I left he was singing, when I came to lunch to give the treatment he was well too, only breathe with noise when he makes effort. This evening I found that it is much worse, breathing hard and noisy even when sitting still, sneezing, still having diarrhea.
I do not know what to do. The treatment the doctor gave him would be given five days, until Wednesday evening, but does not seem to take effect. Now I move him in my bedroom to be able to hear him all night. He is sleeping now and breath without noise.
What else I noticed: he's moving tail synchronized with breathing, sometimes he breath with open beak or open the beak and move the tongue as something upset him in the neck.

Last edited by QiaoBing; 19th December 2011 at 03:12 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th December 2011, 03:37 PM
I would say if you are in doubt about the treatment and if it is being effective to call the vet back and tell him what is going on.. he may need a longer course of the meds and follow up with probitotics. I hope he gets better soon..canaries are so special.
Posted 28th December 2011, 10:26 AM
Hi QB,

The "tail bob" that you are seeing is a sign of obstruction in breathing. It is very likely your canary is infected with a fungus.

Ask your vet to run a culture plate on Sabouroud Agar of a throat swab; it will take about 24 hours to get an answer.

Good luck!

Tags
air sacs infection, canary, diarrhea