Newly adopted ringneck with diarrhea and making strange sounds. Any advice? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 6th June 2012, 11:37 AM
Question

Newly adopted ringneck dove with extremely watery droppings

I'm taking care of a ringneck dove. The prior owner had "her" for about a year and a half. I think it's a male, just judging by the bowing and cooing. However, since I brought him home last Sunday, he has had serious digestive problems. Hardly any solid waste at all, and copious amounts of watery, clear, almost slippery fluid. He's getting plenty to drink. I'm feeding him premium birdseed, a spray millet (which the prior owner told me was a favorite), a little grated carrot, and bird pellets (the colored ones usually given to parakeets). I feed the exact same things to a young mourning dove and his droppings are the normal little green and white solid little droppings.

This morning I took him out to pet him, talk to him, observe him etc. before work, and he was making little wet sounds with his beak like he's just had a big drink of water, and he seemed to burp a couple of times. No wheezing. I'm hoping maybe he's just going through a dietary shock. He's quite tame but seems a little stressed. Lots of pacing back and forth in front of his cage door - he used to be let out all the time. He's still very vocal. I've cleaned his cage and changed his water every day. The cage came with the dove.

His cage is large, and the mourning dove is in a cage the same size. I was hoping they'd be friends but am not sure this is going to happen. I've been calling the ringneck the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Dove (Puff for short) because he towers over little Rooh (the mourning dove). If you never saw Ghostbusters you're probably scratching your head

I'm worried about him. I don't know whether or not to continue observation or offer him up to someone with experience who might be able to give the guy a happy home.

Any advice? I'm in Dallas Texas. Thank you in advance! It's great to see so many pigeon and dove lovers and I'm glad I've discovered this community.

Last edited by Trish in Dallas; 6th June 2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: more accurate description of symptoms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 6th June 2012, 12:08 PM
I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum where those in the know can respond.

Thank you.

Posted 6th June 2012, 12:56 PM
It sounds like he's sick. it found be respiratory,canker, both or something else. Certainly, a new situation and being confined would be stressful. When birds are stressed, often they get sick.
Given you are in such a large city, there must be a bird appropriate vet. I really do think you should find one and take him in for an evaluation, sooner than later. Birds are master pretenders and act okay even when they are feeling sick. As you can now tell he's sick...he's really sick.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

Posted 17th July 2012, 07:51 PM
Your bird could have sourcrop, hold him tail up and squeese his crop if watery fluid comes out that's it, take all water away just give him one drink a day untill he is better.Don.

Tags
adoption, diet, mourning dove, ringneck, strange sounds