Quail with dislocated leg - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 13th April 2012, 04:37 PM

Quail with dislocated leg

Hi guys,

I just found one of my button quail, Hopscotch, with what appears to be a dislocated leg. While she's still able to hop around, the entire limb is twisted backwards, and when I inspected it, it definitely seems to be disconnected.

She's not making any pain squeaks, but I'm sure it isn't comfortable. Is there anything I can do for her? What should I do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th April 2012, 04:52 PM
Oh, poor little thing ......ouch! Not sure what to tell you on this one other than taking it to a vet for rads in case it needs to be set. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 13th April 2012, 05:00 PM
I really wish I could take her to the vet Unfortunately, I was laid off in December, so I'm unable to afford the $300+ that our vet charges for a visit and x-rays.

I was hoping that there was something I could do, but the more I look at her and the injury, the less hopeful I'm getting about being able to splint it. I gently tried to move it back into place, but it just springs back. Oddly enough, she can still move her toes. I've never seen that before.

I have a pretty strong stomach, but man. Looking at her puts me in knots.

Posted 13th April 2012, 05:05 PM
As a last resort, do you have any rehab facilities in your area? Some of these may have a Vet on staff that might be willing/able to help you. Maybe call a local humane society? You never know, you might get lucky.

Last edited by almondman; 13th April 2012 at 05:08 PM..
Posted 13th April 2012, 10:44 PM
As an update, I couldn't see her hurting anymore so I took her to our avian vet. It turns out that the dislocation was actually her knee, and the vet was able to pop it back in right away. Hops was immediately up and walking around after that, so no x-rays were needed. I'll just be giving her shots for ten days to take care of the inflammation and pain.

Whew! Bird scares are so scary!

Tags
dislocated leg, quail