Rescued baby starling. - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 10th May 2013, 08:03 AM

Rescued baby starling.

Two nights ago I got a call from a friend who had said they had caught their dog playing with a baby bird and they(knowing how much of a bleeding heart I am) asked if I could take it. They had already pulled it inside, mashed up a worm and tried to give it a drink which made me fear the worst. When I arrived, the youngster was passed the age of being desperately vulnerable but definitely too young to be away from mom. We could not even figure out how it had gotten into her yard, let alone find a nest to return it to, so I opted to go ahead and take the little one home.

I called around a bit to see if there were any places that would take the little one and most blatantly admitted that, with the abundance of starlings in the area, they would prefer I let nature take its course. IE; let the poor damn bird die. And with so many days under its little belt already, I decided to fight to give it a couple more or. Preferably its whole life back entirely.

This little one does have some feathering with little fuzzies here and there and its even got a good start on the feather growths on its wings but its still got the goofily wide base of the beak and various featherless patches. It's strong enough to scuttle around in a clumsy way but can't stand for long periods of time. To kind of give you an idea of its age.

I guess what I'm after is a bit of reassurance that all is going well. We just made it through night number two and I'm not seeing any lethargy or signs of weakening. I have kept the baby in a container that we clean out daily, that sets on a heating pad that I keep on low. I'm not seeing runny stool and it still is alert enough to cower a bit when we first open the container to feed it. But recently I have begun to wonder if maybe it doesn't like the taste of the food we are giving it or if perhaps we are just simply keeping it well fed.

It will act hungry, gape a couple times. Take 3 or 4 bites before its 'done'. We can move around and tap the box or even gently tap its beak and this will only coax a gape out of it maybe half the time. Otherwise, we decide its full and start to close the box up again and it'll gape again. Only for a short period and often times not long enough for us to get the food gathered to give it. There are even some times when the little one will take a bite and then shake its head as though to say 'Yuck!'

So it worries me some but. The baby is hydrated, warm, and will eat. No matter how little. The mixture I am using is a high protein/fat kitten food that I soak into a moist paste. I mix in a few drops of avian vitamins each time as well and make sure the mixture is like warm/room temp. When we first got the bugger, it would eat and eat and eat. Now, it seems like it eats less but isn't losing its strength... So are we keeping it too fed/well fed or perhaps would taste be a deterrent now that the little one isn't starving and can afford to be picky? We feed the little one every 45 minutes to an hour.

So. What do you all think? Am I being too much of a worry wart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th May 2013, 06:43 PM
Thank you so much for rescuing the little starling.
There is a group called Starling - Talk, they will be able to help you with the nutrition.
I have two starlings but they adopted, I didn't raise them myself. Their nutrition is pretty complex so I would advice you to join the group, read their posts and ask them for any advice you need.
If you are a facebook member there are also a couple of great groups that can give you proper advice.
Thank you again for rescuing the little guy.

Reti
Posted 11th May 2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.starlingtalk.com/guide.htm

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 11th May 2013, 11:31 PM
I have tried to join that forum and no matter what I do, it tells me I'm giving it the 'incorrect' answer. I put in the correct answer, it says it's invalid. When I put in any other number, it tells me the maximum and minimum value that can be placed in the box is '14'. Which is the number I put in the box to begin with when it tells me it's invalid.

So. :/ Having trouble with it.

Although I can say that the starling is still alive and, I think, thriving. She's grown a lot stronger. Able to stand, and even walk a bit now. She now will move towards the food, rather than waiting for me to bring it to her and she's grown in a lot more feathers. She's almost got wings now! Instead of a little spikey stub. Hehe.

We think it's a female since she's more of a ruddy brown than the solid black, and she still is loud and active so. I think she's doing fine.
Posted 12th May 2013, 06:09 AM
I am so glad to hear the baby is thriving.
I will try to find out why you can't sign up for the group.
Please keep us updated.

Reti
Posted 12th May 2013, 06:59 AM
Thank you for caring
Here's a link for feeding and care. http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm
Petco sells 'canned insects' (crickets, meanworms, etc.) in the reptile dept. That's what I use to get when raising wild babies.
Any that were extremely bonded and I had to keep, I converted them to 'small bite puppy food', soaked in hot water to make it soft. Use of a 'high quality' food is a must. I use Royal Canin xxsmall breed puppy food. It's higher in protein.
I hear starlings make GREAT pets, and I don't believe they are a 'protected' bird.
Good luck with your new friend!

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 12th May 2013, 08:57 AM
I didn't know petco sold canned insects.. cool! good tip.
Posted 12th May 2013, 09:44 AM
I think all young starlings are brown aren't they? We raised a nest of them several years ago.

Anyway, here's another link for information on raising them and their needs.
http://www.starlings.info/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 14th May 2013, 04:41 AM

I wanted to go ahead and show you all my progress so far. I know it's not much, considering I got 'her' later on in the younger portion of life, but. I'm rather proud of this little one and I have to say, we've grown extremely fond of her. So! The above picture is of day one. When we first got her. Although it's a bit hard to see, because she was so hungry, she's in the process of growing in her feathers and out of her baby fuzz but she's definitely not there yet and scraggly looking.

And this is her now, taken earlier this evening. After feeding her, we pull her out to let her stretch her wings and get a bit more interaction, since after the first couple of days she showed signs of really wanting to be close to us. Not really sure if she'll ever be fit for release, but if she changes as she becomes more independent, it may become a possibility. Not like we mind having her around.

She's been practicing stretching her little wings and when sitting on our hands or arms, she'll take small leaps onto our chest or shoulder(since she likes tucking against our necks or under our chins) and she's an adept climber! She's also lost much of her 'baby' look and is getting more and more adult looking and sounding.

My fear of her not being hungry has gone out the window. She's got a vicious appetite and eats like a small horse. Even striking out eagerly when we first open the container. So, needless to say, I think she's doing fantastic! And I appreciate much of the support!
Posted 14th May 2013, 04:48 AM
Nice job!

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 14th May 2013, 04:56 AM
Hehe! Thank you so much!

I've gotten so much crap for raising this little one.

Too many people just hate these birds and think that they are more dirty than your average bird and that they deserve nothing more than to be shot/wiped out. Especially in my area and I've butted heads with plenty of people over it, simply because I'm not ashamed of raising her.

I fail to see how a bird that can be taught how to talk, recognize and even bond to people, and in general, is a pleasure to be around(albeit obnoxiously chatty) is such a disgusting creature to be around.

It's no matter! She's in safe hands until the day she chooses otherwise!
Posted 14th May 2013, 08:37 PM
Aww, she's a cutie. Good luck with her.

Posted 15th May 2013, 09:52 AM
how cute!
Posted 15th May 2013, 05:02 PM
Where are located? I have a singleton starling if your in mass
Posted 15th May 2013, 07:46 PM
You did a wonderful job with this baby.
This little guy might be too tame to be released, but time will tell. When the time come, please don't just put him outside. You have received some expert advice and our members can also help you to make the right decision.

Thank you so much for giving this little adorable bird a second chance.

Reti

Tags
starling baby, young bird