Unwell chicken - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon and Dove Bird Emergencies

Notices

Posted 12th November 2011, 06:42 AM

Unwell chicken

I understand there are quite a few members here that have chickens and I am wondering if someone might be able to help me try and understand what is going on with one of my chickens .

I had a thread titled dumped chickenswhich explains the initial problem I had with this bird and how they ended up with me.....problems started with a messy vent area , then standing alone , moving very slowly and inactivity and not much of an appetite . After trying Baytril which was a disaster ......I tried Sulfa - AVS which seemed to prove successful .......she was eating again , scrataching around like a normal chicken .A couple weeks after ceasing the sulfa it was obvious she was returning back to that unwell state . I again recommenced the sulfa and after a week there were some good signs it was doing her well again .......however when I picked her up the other day I was shocked at the weight she had lost and I could feel her breast bone .......

The new problem is that food is being expelled undigested ....I fed her thawed peas which she loved as I hadn't really seen her eat much except some greens , the peas were coming out undigested along with wheat she had eaten . My other chook is fine and well , there are no signs of worms ......they free range form morning til night , have crushed oyster shell , plentiful supply of greens yet they are not keen on the layer pellets unless I soak them in water .

Is she starving to death ?? and / or are her insides giving up on her ?

I've been to backyardchickens.com , although they have some informative stuff there I've been less than impressed with the responses I've had .

1 Cat , 7 chickens , 100 + Pigeons of 5 Breeds , Tropical Fish & Cold Water Fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th November 2011, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking she does need to be wormed and cocci'd. I use Wazine, which it says it treats both in chickens (although I only trust it for some worms in pigeons), just in case. Should help her with keeping on weight from what she does eat. I'm not sure what is causing her to not digest her food, BUT I'm thinking probiotics and ACV is in order. Especially after two rounds of sulpha drugs. I'm pretty sure they have packs of electrolites/probiotics at TSC. Another natural supplement that helps with digestion problems is cinnamon. One teaspoon per gallon (I give it in combination with one teaspoon of honey but you don't have to. Might be helpful though). It will get in the water more if you add it to some boiling water, let it cool, and then add the "tea" to the rest of the water.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 12th November 2011, 09:37 AM
Can you take her droppings in for analysis?
I think a routine worming would be a good idea for both chickens especially since they free range. I use Modectin Plus, by Australian Pigeon Company, it treats all worms and is very safe. I worm my chickens twice a year. The bottle has instructions for individual treatment but you will need to have a way to weigh them.
With all the antibiotics, she may need an anti-fungal for yeast.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

Posted 13th November 2011, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
I'm thinking she does need to be wormed and cocci'd. I use Wazine, which it says it treats both in chickens (although I only trust it for some worms in pigeons), just in case. Should help her with keeping on weight from what she does eat. I'm not sure what is causing her to not digest her food, BUT I'm thinking probiotics and ACV is in order. Especially after two rounds of sulpha drugs. I'm pretty sure they have packs of electrolites/probiotics at TSC. Another natural supplement that helps with digestion problems is cinnamon. One teaspoon per gallon (I give it in combination with one teaspoon of honey but you don't have to. Might be helpful though). It will get in the water more if you add it to some boiling water, let it cool, and then add the "tea" to the rest of the water.
Mary of E , many thanks for your response ........I have some probiotics will I will give ASAP . I've tried ACV before but it appears they avoid it and use other water points that are available in the yard . I've not heard of wazine but will look out for it in the future .

Thanks

1 Cat , 7 chickens , 100 + Pigeons of 5 Breeds , Tropical Fish & Cold Water Fish
Posted 13th November 2011, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Can you take her droppings in for analysis?
I think a routine worming would be a good idea for both chickens especially since they free range. I use Modectin Plus, by Australian Pigeon Company, it treats all worms and is very safe. I worm my chickens twice a year. The bottle has instructions for individual treatment but you will need to have a way to weigh them.
With all the antibiotics, she may need an anti-fungal for yeast.
Hi Charis .....I'm trying to obtain a good sample at the moment . Her droppings have changed in the last 24 hrs , now somewhat watery and jelly like ......it indicates to me that she maybe starving to death ......I can't help but feel it's too late . I also use modectin plus but while filling my pigeon drinkers the hose I was using knocked the bottle over and I lost the lot . I'll forward the sample to Dr. Walker and see what the result is .

Thank you !

Posted 13th November 2011, 08:36 AM
aww, poor baby, hope the vet finds something
kinda has me thinking it could be coccidia also, sulfa's can reduce it but usualy won't rid her of it
most animals can live with it, parasites usually take over when something else is going on
Posted 13th November 2011, 08:44 AM
My chickens won't touch water with ACV...neither will my pigeons. They can detect even a few drops.
Are her droppings bright green?
If she isn't eating, you can hand feed her to keep her going until you find out what is wrong with her. If you don't have a way to tube feed her, try feeding soft foods such as cooked pasta, hard boiled eggs,soaked dry dog food, etc. Put her in your lap, open her beak and put the pieces of food in the back of her mouth and over her throat. Depending on the chicken, the help of a third person can make the task easier.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 21st November 2011, 05:10 AM
Hi Charis .......many appologies for the delay in transmission .

For the moment she has her appetite back and eating by herself , so thankfully no need to tube feed her . Her droppings can be a brown colour and sometimes change to a yellow colour , still no results yet but she is doing well for the MOMENT .

BTW ........pasta seems to be a big winner with her and she loves tomatoes .

Posted 21st November 2011, 09:26 AM
Can you post a picture of her droppings, especially the yellow ones?

I'm glad she's doing better.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 9th December 2011, 04:48 AM
Hi Charis , it's been a while since I last visited .
Things were going great with the chook , but as it happens she's on a downward spiral again . I am off to the vet with her tomorrow and I have my doubts it will be a happy outcome for either of us

Many thanks for your input ........greatly appreciated !

Posted 9th December 2011, 06:31 PM
Good luck at the vet...my best thoughts and wishes will be with you both.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Tags
sick chicken