Tawny owlet questions - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Non Pigeon/Dove Pet Bird Discussions

Notices

Posted 30th April 2019, 12:09 PM

Tawny owlet questions

This lil guy was brought in by some people saying "It was on the floor and there were no parents around at all" Not sure how true that is, but what is done is done. I know how to take care of fully grown owl, but not small ones so to be careful I want some information on this. (We don't have any avian vets nearby..So it might take some time before this chick is going to a proffesional. A vet that would take up a bird is completely in a different city.)

This is from Lithuania, Tawny owls are fairly common and they nest here so it is clear that this is a Tawny owlet.

Age is about two weeks. Or so we speculate.

I have them for only two days, first day all I had was chicken livers so I gave that, felt the belly until it was not too hard and not to soft. Now I cut up and pull apart a mouse(They are own bred for snakes) for meat and intestines for the nutriton.
What bothers me is the droppings, I guess since this owlet doesn't get any fur or bones so there are no pellets(And I don't know when to even introduce bits of fur and bone)But I haven't seen a bird of prey chick poop so its droppings seem unnfamilar to me, even problematic because:

The urite seems too yellow and it has these yellowish brown little bits, like it is a bit hard even and the urine seems greenish(This was first day after feeding only liver)

The second day after the mouse the urite is less yellow but the urine has a green tint.
I feear that there is a liver problem and there are no vets around, so my best bet is here and what I can do to atleast help a bit or what to avoid to not make it worse. All I know is that everything has to be lean.

Note: Its behaviour seems fine. No wheezing, no being all puffed up and almost sitting into a ball. It screams alot and twitters when fed (Ofcourse starts being a loud peep after a few minutes after feeding. Chicks are just great.) It walks around, somtimes sleeps while standing, other times lays down and sometimes turns up its head and sleeps while sitting on the heels.
In short...No sickly behaviour. I am also considering giving a cut up mouse in the morning and evening and in the day to just give the mouse pinkies that are atleast a few days old.

Last edited by Shapyra; 30th April 2019 at 12:14 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th April 2019, 03:12 PM
Getting the owl to an experienced rehabber is the best thing you can do. Nutritional deficiencies are crippling, habituation will make it unreleasable, and without live prey testing it will likely die in the wild. It should be eating whole animals now— bones are particularly important, but skin and fur won’t cause a problem. Pinky mice are not nutritionally complete.
Posted 30th April 2019, 10:46 PM
Wow. That's amazing how big those talons are for a bird of 2 weeks old. Wish I could be of help to you but my knowledge of owls is zero. Good luck to you!

Posted 1st May 2019, 12:12 AM
I am glad to know that I can feed it a proper mouse, I was afraid of him not being ready for that. Bu we are looking for someone who will go by the city where people know atleast something about wild birds. For now I am trying to replicate whatever I can when it coems to food.
Posted 1st May 2019, 12:57 AM
He is just supercute! I'm sure you will find plenty of info on the internet. Just google "how to raise baby tawny owl".
Posted 1st May 2019, 11:17 AM
That bird is seriously cute. Good luck.
Posted 1st May 2019, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
He is just supercute! I'm sure you will find plenty of info on the internet. Just google "how to raise baby tawny owl".
It's fairly clear how to do it. It's the lack of information on their health is sad, things like: should it be panting after eating or how to know when pellets are formed. But everything seems fine now, all the little needed was a whole mouse. This is a very one of a kind experience and I thought rising a pigeon squab was odd
Posted 5th July 2019, 12:36 PM
Raptors must be fed whole animals bones fur and all if not they will go down hill quickly and they also eat more than you would think. Now the hard part if you are found with this owl there are stiff fines and even possible jail time for having it no matter the reason. Notify a qualified rehab facility or your states DEC office and release it to them.

Tags
owl