Back yard bird feeding - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 14th April 2016, 12:17 PM

Back yard bird feeding

Every morning, when I feed my pet flock, I pour yesterday's feed into a dish and scatter it in the yard for the wild birds.

I've learned that they prefer scattered feed over the close proximity of a feeder, and I've been attracting some fun variety.

There are the Mourning doves, of course. I'm a volunteer for the local wildlife rehab, and six of them were soft released fosters of mine. ^v^

There are always cardinals. Usually two pair and their peeps.

The grackles are back this year, but only four to eight join in.

There are brown headed cowbirds, meadowlarks, and sparrows everywhere.

All the seed attracts bugs, which the Robins, brown thrashers, and mocking birds appreciate.

And the infertile or rotten eggs are a real treat for the bluejays.

I've even gotten a glimpse of some of the more elusive birds. ^v^
A redwing blackbird has taken to bringing his wife around, and yesterday, I saw my first indigo bunting!

So what do you guys delight in seeing out the back window?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th April 2016, 12:53 PM
We have painted buntings around this time of year, as well as blue jays, scrub jays, and wood peckers. I love them! There is also the assortment of crows and hawks that fly about.

Posted 15th April 2016, 11:25 AM
I was treated to a pair of purple house finches yesterday among the larks, sparrows, and cow birds. ^v^

There are red tailed hawks and black vultures that I can see from my chair in th dove room, but I didn't think to add them.

Posted 15th April 2016, 07:14 PM
Thank you for feeding everyone! We put out bird seed too...and squirrel food...and cat, possum, raccoon and skunk food.
Posted 15th April 2016, 09:42 PM
Try putting out mealworms, suet, chopped fruit, and chopped unsalted peanuts and you will attract many different kinds. Don't know a bird that doesn't like chopped peanuts.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 15th April 2016 at 09:47 PM..
Posted 15th April 2016, 09:57 PM
I love the chipmunks too. So cute! They love sunflower and safflower seed.

chopped fruit

Peanuts. This cat bird was caught stealing peanuts from my jar. They also love chopped fruit. Especially blueberries and strawberries.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 15th April 2016 at 10:00 PM..
Posted 15th April 2016, 10:05 PM
Mealworms. One of my favorites, the Carolina Wren

Posted 16th April 2016, 07:33 AM
Love the photos! Thank you for sharing.
Posted 16th April 2016, 09:37 AM
For a couple of years a Carolina Wren would eat mealworms from my hand.
We sit outside under some large spruces during the summer and put blueberries on top of a feeder only about 3 feet away, and the cat birds will come down and eat the fruit. One year a cat bird would follow me around the yard squawking and fluttering its wings as if begging, till I would put out the peanuts for them. That was him stealing the peanuts from my jar. I was putting them out and left the open jar for one minute and he was on it. So funny!

Posted 16th April 2016, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Thank you for feeding everyone! We put out bird seed too...and squirrel food...and cat, possum, raccoon and skunk food.
I am the biggest softy, and I hate to see feed go to waste.
Posted 16th April 2016, 09:42 PM
Such beautiful pictures and you people are living in the right environment for all I get is sparrows, crows, and pigeons and Ringnecks and Pigeon Hawks. I guess it is too dry here but I sure did enjoy your pretty pictures. I got a starling one time...and some robins but they do not stay around. I hear woodpeckers sometimes...lol Good for you and such nice pictures..Thanks..
Posted 17th April 2016, 09:41 AM
When we moved here there were no trees, no shrubs, but I wanted to attract birds, so through the years have planted lots of trees and shrubs and such and made it very woodsy. I plant a lot of things that will feed the birds in winter also. So now, although we still get the house sparrows, we also get the nice songbirds and such. I love spending time at the end of the day sitting up in the back yard under the ever greens and watching them. We have bird houses and baths, so many nest in our yard. We get robins, orioles, humming birds, nut crackers, wood peckers, cow birds, pigeons, cardinals, titmice, snowbirds in winter, red winged blackbirds, catbirds, house wrens, carolina wrens, mourning doves, chicadees, mickingbirds that sing at night. I just love that. Don't like mockingbirds nesting here though as they are very territorial. They chase us and they go after our dogs and try to steal their fur for their nest. The poor things used to run under the bushes to hide on them. I now stop them nesting to close to the house. It's fun to watch the nesting birds though, as we put fur from the dogs coat after brushing, in baskets and watch them collect it for nesting. When we clean the loft and put feathers outside for them to collect, they come down and grab them. Neat to watch them. Unfortunately, we also get the hawks.

Last edited by Jay3; 17th April 2016 at 09:53 AM..
Posted 17th April 2016, 11:42 AM
Yea that one is a biggy------------waiting...ugh
Posted 21st April 2016, 05:19 PM
Took my niece out to feed the wilds today. ^v^

A mocking bird's nested in my box wood. She's come back every year, and I've been permitted to make brief daily checks on all of her little peeps, so long as I respect her space and walk away when she tells me to.

I wouldn't necessarily say she's my friend, but she apparently trusts me to be hers. <3
Posted 21st April 2016, 05:21 PM
That's great. Sounds friendlier than the ones we had. LOL.

Tags
feeding wild birds